Mason Martin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Mason Martin

Post by Ecbucs »

343839626B626A67607F65520 wrote: He hit #7 today, (MILB box score isn't working, this info s from twitter).

7 Hr in last 7 games.
Wouldn't it be something if Martin was one of those late round draft picks like Johnny Bench or Albert Pujols who becomes a super player. Could the Pirate Organization be so lucky?

could definitely use someone to break through and be a superstar (Bench was drafted in round 2 but I would take a superstar from any round)
Jerseykc

Mason Martin

Post by Jerseykc »

6E534D404F454E6C4453424445210 wrote: A few other notable prospects having strong Julys.

Jerick Suiter in AA, Will Craig and Ke'Bryan Hayes in A+ and Luis Escobar in low-A.  I think Luis getting back on track is important, he still has some control problems that he'll eventually need to correct before he becomes a top prospect.  I fear Hayes' lack of power could make him a marginal MLB prospect at best, but he's still only 20 and seems to have some good hit skill.  Craig is beginning to look like a real masher and could have a real breakout in Altoona next year. 

Guys are going to start log jamming soon, especially at AAA, it would be interesting to see what they could get with a package of like Williams/Kuhl + Brault/Kingham + Hayes/Kramer.

Mentioned Suiter a few days ago in the 4 from Altoona thread

Jerrick Suiter - I was impressed with him back in June when we got to 3 games in Harrisburg. Big guy, TCU product. Decent arm in RF but I was especially impressed with his swing and ability to make solid contact. He is striking out a bit more than I would like to see but we did see him working on cutting down on his swing with the coaches prior to Tuesday's game. My sleeper pick to make a big move for the rest of the season - he's a much better player than the last Mayor of Altoona, Stetson Allie.
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

426465726474070 wrote: He hit #7 today, (MILB box score isn't working, this info s from twitter).

7 Hr in last 7 games.
Wouldn't it be something if Martin was one of those late round draft picks like Johnny Bench or Albert Pujols who becomes a super player. Could the Pirate Organization be so lucky?

could definitely use someone to break through and be a superstar (Bench was drafted in round 2 but I would take a superstar from any round)

He's a good candidate . Played in relatively obscure area. Gained like 20 lbs and a lot of strength in his senior year. Just for to give an idea of how impressive 7 Hr in 37 ab's is .. a normal year for the HR leader in that league might be around 11 HR in 175 AB's.
OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The strikeout rate is a little high, he could probably become a Joey Gallo type prospect if he hits with this kind of power.
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

68554B464943486A4255444243270 wrote: The strikeout rate is a little high, he could probably become a Joey Gallo type prospect if he hits with this kind of power.

It is but he's just 18 and if you take away his first 2 games , it's looks a little better...
IABucFan

Mason Martin

Post by IABucFan »

Can someone explain to me the differences among various minor league levels? Like, who generally is assigned where? I'm sure PP has something about this, and I certainly don't want anyone to steal their intellectual property, just a general summation. Nothing against Tim Williams and PP...Tim seems like a great guy and PP seems like a wonderful source. And that's my problem...I've made a conscientious decision that I spend too much time as it is reading and following the Pirates. I fear that if I subscribe to PP, I'll never get any work done. I'm just not disciplined enough to put it down!

Anyway, obviously AAA and AA are advanced levels with guys close to the majors. But, what are the general differences among:

A+

A-

Short Season Class A

Bristol (Appalachian League) and the GCL team, both Rookie levels

DSL (I think the DSL is generally where they send Latin American players their first year in the organization, right?
OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

They added the Bristol affiliate after they started graduating more players from the DSL and needed a place for them to play.

As far as placement?

High school draftees seem to get assigned to GCL upon being drafted and signed. They usually join a roster of international signees of various ages.

Then in their first full year after being drafted, the pitchers tend to go to Bristol, but I think we might see a high profile guy like Baz that signed so quickly get assigned to WV. High school hitters have made the jump from GCL to WV in their first full season.

College draft picks that sign get immediately assigned to the short season team in Morgantown. Then in their next season, either Low A or High A. That roster is also made up of a random concoction of late round college picks from prior years and Intl Signees.

These are just observations.
IABucFan

Mason Martin

Post by IABucFan »

So, in other words, it sort of goes like this:

Dirt field in Latin America somewhere----->DSL----->Bristol----->West Virginia

High school hitters----->GCL----->West Virginia

High school pitchers----->GCL----->Bristol----->West Virginia

College----->West Virginia (NYPL)----->West Virginia (SALLY)

And then for everyone...WVA----->Bradenton----->Altoona----->Indy----->Pittsburgh
dave3BA

Mason Martin

Post by dave3BA »

6C6467504663444B250 wrote: So, in other words, it sort of goes like this:

Dirt field in Latin America somewhere----->DSL----->Bristol----->West Virginia

High school hitters----->GCL----->West Virginia

High school pitchers----->GCL----->Bristol----->West Virginia

College----->West Virginia (NYPL)----->West Virginia (SALLY)

And then for everyone...WVA----->Bradenton----->Altoona----->Indy----->Pittsburgh

Most latin players still play in the GCL, but some skip Bristol I'd say. But keep in mind, there's really no set progression, it's all individualized.
Bobster21

Mason Martin

Post by Bobster21 »

They have "extended spring training" at Pirate City for the recent signees where they practice, play games and then get assigned to a league depending on how they do. I was there in June 2016 and met Scooter Hightower (aptly named at 6'6") He was a 15th rd pick in 2015, played at Bristol in 2015 and was attending spring training in 2016 to see where he would be assigned. He ended up in WV.