Glas-NOW time

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Glas-NOW time

Post by IABucFan »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: Funny how Glasnow won the spring training competition and many don't care even though he wasn't the best either.  So I ask, why are people ok with him but hated the idea of Hutchsion?

How was this explained to Williams and Brault when they had better springs?  Why are the fans liking this move in general?  Did the front office just lie (again) saying Glasnow won the job?  Or was it that the fans wanted this so it wasn't an actual lie?

This is easy to answer.  Glasnow is boom or bust.  I'm fine with putting up with the potential to bust because of the potential to boom.  Hutchison was potential meh or bust.  Glasnow is high risk, high reward.  Hutchison is high risk, low reward.  I'm not willing to risk that.  If Hutchison were guaranteed to give you 4.00 and 150 innings, fine.  But he's as likely to put up an ERA north of 6 than he is to put up a 4.  Glasnow might also put up an ERA of 6, but he is probably as likely to put up a 2.50.  Glasnow and Hutchison aren't at all comparable.

It was management's opinion that Glasnow was the best option even though he didn't have the best spring training or won the competition.  If management had that same opinion about Hutchison, this board, radio shows, and fans in general would be going nuts. 

It just shows that people don't like Hutchison because how he was acquired.  People like Glasnow because of the hype even though he was bad in the majors last year and in spring training. 

I completely disagree with this. People overlook the fact that Glasnow has struggled in a brief MLB stint be cause of the potential that is there, not out of any hypocritical attitude. Hutchison is 26 and has a full body of work at the MLB level. Glasnow is 23 and has a handful of games in MLB. I reiterate...the two arent at all comparable.

For me, my opinion has nothing to do with how Hutchison was acquired and everything to do with not being able to get people out.
dmetz

Glas-NOW time

Post by dmetz »

555E565A5F5E450006714850595E5E1F525E310 wrote: Funny how Glasnow won the spring training competition and many don't care even though he wasn't the best either.  So I ask, why are people ok with him but hated the idea of Hutchsion?

How was this explained to Williams and Brault when they had better springs?  Why are the fans liking this move in general?  Did the front office just lie (again) saying Glasnow won the job?  Or was it that the fans wanted this so it wasn't an actual lie?

This is easy to answer.  Glasnow is boom or bust.  I'm fine with putting up with the potential to bust because of the potential to boom.  Hutchison was potential meh or bust.  Glasnow is high risk, high reward.  Hutchison is high risk, low reward.  I'm not willing to risk that.  If Hutchison were guaranteed to give you 4.00 and 150 innings, fine.  But he's as likely to put up an ERA north of 6 than he is to put up a 4.  Glasnow might also put up an ERA of 6, but he is probably as likely to put up a 2.50.  Glasnow and Hutchison aren't at all comparable.

It was management's opinion that Glasnow was the best option even though he didn't have the best spring training or won the competition.  If management had that same opinion about Hutchison, this board, radio shows, and fans in general would be going nuts. 

It just shows that people don't like Hutchison because how he was acquired.  People like Glasnow because of the hype even though he was bad in the majors last year and in spring training. 

You decided this months ago and no amount of evidence to the contrary is going to change your mind.

It's now to point of laughable absurdity as youre compare the #1 RH pitching prospect in all of baseball to the utter failure that has been Drew huchison.   Give us a freaking break with this stuff.  It can't get any more ridiculous that that

What is it with you and these lousy pitchers? Last year it was Locke

Quail

Glas-NOW time

Post by Quail »

If Hutchison had pitched like Williams this spring everyone would have liked him regardless of how he was acquired, and he'd be our #5 starter.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Glas-NOW time

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5E575F4E403A0 wrote: Funny how Glasnow won the spring training competition and many don't care even though he wasn't the best either.  So I ask, why are people ok with him but hated the idea of Hutchsion?

You decided this months ago and no amount of evidence to the contrary is going to change your mind.

It's now to point of laughable absurdity as youre compare the #1 RH pitching prospect in all of baseball to the utter failure that has been Drew huchison.   Give us a freaking break with this stuff.  It can't get any more ridiculous that that

I am just being fair.  You are one that keeps bringing it up too ("Concerns" thread). At one point, Locke was the team's best pitcher last year and he was still getting ripped apart.  It was decided before the season he would be the 2016 whipping boy.  Hutchison got that title for 2017. 

It just proves my point that people only think management is lying when they don't like the result.

I liked all the guys competing for the final rotation spot.  I think Glasnow needs more time in the minors, but I am ok with the decision.  i would have felt the same way if it was Hutchison, Williams or Brault too. There is a lot of depth in case one falters.    

skinnyhorse

Glas-NOW time

Post by skinnyhorse »

0F2B3F37325E0 wrote: If Hutchison had pitched like Williams this spring everyone would have liked him regardless of how he was acquired, and he'd be our #5 starter.
agree
dmetz

Glas-NOW time

Post by dmetz »

6C676F6366677C393F487169606767266B67080 wrote: Funny how Glasnow won the spring training competition and many don't care even though he wasn't the best either.  So I ask, why are people ok with him but hated the idea of Hutchsion?

I am just being fair.  You are one that keeps bringing it up too ("Concerns" thread). At one point, Locke was the team's best pitcher last year and he was still getting ripped apart.  It was decided before the season he would be the 2016 whipping boy.  Hutchison got that title for 2017. 

It just proves my point that people only think management is lying when they don't like the result.   

I liked all the guys competing for the final rotation spot.  I think Glasnow needs more time in the minors, but I am ok with the decision.  i would have felt the same way if it was Hutchison, Williams or Brault too. There is a lot of depth in case one falters.    

You're not being fair, you're being completely biased. Huchison stinks and has stunk for a long time. I wouldn't have been ok with his as a #5. Glasnow is the best choice but the rest would have been ok too other that huchison.

Of course you're fine with whoever they choose to be the #5, that's not news. What's nuts is you of all people accusing others of bias, for not wanting a AAAA scrub with very little ceiling to be biased because he was acquired in the 2nd worst trade in NH's career.

At least your boy Huch could have pitched like a human in Indy last year and this spring for you to make your case. I'm sure the FO is just dying that he's so bad they can't even justify him with a roster spot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Glas-NOW time

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

So, the management team isn't "lying" this time?

I trust their reasoning. I also never questioned the trade and believed how it occurred (actually predicted how that trade went down before Huntington spoke). We don't even know if it was a bad trade yet. It is leaning that way, but the season didn't even start yet. And Glasnow didn't have the best spring, so the competition wasn't based solely on stats (I am ok with that).

I just dread the dwelling on this trade. It's still happening.
SteadyFreddy

Glas-NOW time

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don't know if people wanted Hutchison to fail just because of the trade with Liriano last season but I am certainly not one of those guys. I will never root for a player to fail or not pitch well so that I can sit here and brag about it to everybody and say I told you so. With all that being said, Glasnow is the better option here at this point then Hutchison moving forward.
rucker59@gmail.com

Glas-NOW time

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

496E7F7B7E635C687F7E7E631A0 wrote: I don't know if people wanted Hutchison to fail just because of the trade with Liriano last season but I am certainly not one of those guys. I will never root for a player to fail or not pitch well so that I can sit here and brag about it to everybody and say I told you so. With all that being said, Glasnow is the better option here at this point then Hutchison moving forward.

Right. No one wants Hutchison to fail because of the trade, it's that almost everyone recognized the trade was a total failure/salary dump. Hutchison preformed to expectations and that's the point. The idea that he was even in serious consideration was a complete joke.
PMike

Glas-NOW time

Post by PMike »

Back to the topic at hand...Glasnow.

Glasnow hasn't only struggled at the big league level. If you look at his stats and generalize, you can assume that. However, I don't think that was always the case last season. He certainly had times when he looked overwhelmed. Then, other times he looked dominant. Even without his plus fastball.

This spring, I actually thought Glasnow looked very controlled. When things went bad, he never looked flustered. As a result, he was able to put things back together. His last start was a good example. He gave up a walk and then the HR on a curveball up in the zone. He stayed together and pitched a couple more good innings.

At this point, IMO, Glasnow struggles with two things. Some times his big frame lets him down and he misses bad with pitches (FB, curve, change). When everything is together, he is dominant. Secondly, he seems to be able to throw 5-6 "fantastic" pitches. Hits the edges or has tons of break. His fastball really moves in to right handers. But then he'll miss and leave one right in the zone.

I'm fine with him being in the majors. He isn't going to fix those things in the minors. In fact, he can get by missing in the minors a lot easier than missing in the majors. I'm anxious to see him pitch, but for now, I think we are going to see him be dominant and then have periods of struggle.