Jeff Locke-Should be waived!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

517467726E656E6F6A62060 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I do expect him to be released.  Waive him and see if he gets claimed, but if not he will still be gone.

I also expect him to be picked up right away too.

Lockes fip this year is 4.79, Drew Hutchison's last year was 4.42.  Ivan Nova's fip this year is 5.09 

Surely someone would trade at least a prospect for Locke.

Nah.  Locke has no value.  He actually has a career WAR below replacement and is set for an arbitration raise after the number of innings he's pitched.  He's a nontender guy.  The only reason I can think of that he's still starting games is that he has had an actual major league career and that makes it look like the Pirates are still trying to make the playoffs. 

well, maybe the Pirates would need to include a minor prospect too.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2D262E2227263D787E093028212626672A26490 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I do expect him to be released.  Waive him and see if he gets claimed, but if not he will still be gone.

I also expect him to be picked up right away too. Who cares if he does get picked up right away. As long as he doesn't start another game for the Pirates.

We don't care, but that is an issue.  That would mean he has value and was just given away for nothing.  He is left-handed, someone will take him.  The Pirates do not need him.

The best you can get for him would probably be a high A maybe low AA player. And the odds are that player will probably never see the field in a Pirates uniform.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: The Waiver deals have a time period on them?  I did not know that.  Justin Mourneau was added on august 31st in 2013.

Once you put a guy on waivers after the trade deadline, teams have 47 hours to claim the player. If nobody claims him, that player can be traded anywhere even after the deadline.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

476160776171020 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I also expect him to be picked up right away too.

Lockes fip this year is 4.79, Drew Hutchison's last year was 4.42.  Ivan Nova's fip this year is 5.09 

Surely someone would trade at least a prospect for Locke.

Nah.  Locke has no value.  He actually has a career WAR below replacement and is set for an arbitration raise after the number of innings he's pitched.  He's a nontender guy.  The only reason I can think of that he's still starting games is that he has had an actual major league career and that makes it look like the Pirates are still trying to make the playoffs. 

well, maybe the Pirates would need to include a minor prospect too.

That's hilarious. Nutting just told Huntington to find a prospect in the system worth about a million dollars to entice a team to trade for Jeff Locke.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

70574642475A65514647475A230 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I also expect him to be picked up right away too. Who cares if he does get picked up right away. As long as he doesn't start another game for the Pirates.

The Pirates care because they won't have to pay him. If he goes unclaimed, he'll either accept an assignment because he's not going to make more anywhere else between now and Oct. If they release him outright, they still have to pay him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why do people have garage/yard sales? People can clearly put their "junk" they don't want on the sidewalk with a sign that read "FREE" and I am sure stuff will go. Instead, people make flyers, newspaper ads and then sit in their yard all day in hopes someone comes by to buy something.

It's the same concept with Locke or any player. The Pirates will probably be mad if someone claimed him as he had value to that team and they got nothing for him and still have to pay him. That is the struggle in releasing players.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

While there is definitely appeal in the comparison of Locke to a yard sale transaction, most items in a yard sale actually have some value. There is just an imperfect market mechanism to sell those items. With Locke, the market mechanism is there; however, no actual value exists. He's not pitching well enough to help anybody and you get to pay him a million bucks to watch it all unfold. Plus, he's never really been any good, so you can't go to arbitration with him.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

Locke survives the executioner again. Boscan released, Moroff optioned to Indy to make room for Vogelsong.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

can't take watching him one more game. let the grand experiment end PLEASE!!!
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

604556435F545F5E5B53370 wrote: While there is definitely appeal in the comparison of Locke to a yard sale transaction, most items in a yard sale actually have some value.  There is just an imperfect market mechanism to sell those items.  With Locke, the market mechanism is there; however, no actual value exists.  He's not pitching well enough to help anybody and you get to pay him a million bucks to watch it all unfold.  Plus, he's never really been any good, so you can't go to arbitration with him.

This thought that he was never any good is hogwash. He had a heck of a run during the first half of his all star season and has had flashes where he pitches well. I think he will tirn out to be a zach duke type of player that started for a period of time and settles in to a bullpen role. You can really only count on him one time through a lineup.