Jeff Locke-Should be waived!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I saw another post on Jeff Locke, but I am still at a loose for words, Why is this guy still on the team? I very seldom criticize a player, but Jeff if baffling. I for one would just as soon see Triple AAA guys getting their feet wet than Jeff frittering away another Buuco game

Just my two cents.... :D

Bucs Fan in GA
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

794E58487D5A5552557C7A3B0 wrote: I saw another post on Jeff Locke, but I am still at a loose for words, Why is this guy still on the team? I very seldom criticize a player, but Jeff if baffling. I for one would just as soon see Triple AAA guys getting their feet wet than Jeff frittering away another Buuco game

Just my two cents.... :D

Bucs Fan in GA

I agree with ya. Guy had a decent run with the Bucs but if I am gonna lose and not make the playoffs I would rather do it with the kids. Let them learn on the MLB job. But you much remember Nutting is so thrifty that he would not spend even your two cents to get rid of Locke. ;D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Another Locke thread?

I do expect him to be released. Waive him and see if he gets claimed, but if not he will still be gone.

I also expect him to be picked up right away too.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I do expect him to be released.  Waive him and see if he gets claimed, but if not he will still be gone.

I also expect him to be picked up right away too. Who cares if he does get picked up right away. As long as he doesn't start another game for the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I do expect him to be released.  Waive him and see if he gets claimed, but if not he will still be gone.

Lockes fip this year is 4.79, Drew Hutchison's last year was 4.42. Ivan Nova's fip this year is 5.09

Surely someone would trade at least a prospect for Locke.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

4C6A6B7C6A7A090 wrote: Another Locke thread?

Lockes fip this year is 4.79, Drew Hutchison's last year was 4.42.  Ivan Nova's fip this year is 5.09 

Nah. Locke has no value. He actually has a career WAR below replacement and is set for an arbitration raise after the number of innings he's pitched. He's a nontender guy. The only reason I can think of that he's still starting games is that he has had an actual major league career and that makes it look like the Pirates are still trying to make the playoffs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

10372622273A05312627273A430 wrote: Another Locke thread?

I also expect him to be picked up right away too. Who cares if he does get picked up right away. As long as he doesn't start another game for the Pirates.

We don't care, but that is an issue. That would mean he has value and was just given away for nothing. He is left-handed, someone will take him. The Pirates do not need him.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

406576637F747F7E7B73170 wrote: Another Locke thread?

Lockes fip this year is 4.79, Drew Hutchison's last year was 4.42.  Ivan Nova's fip this year is 5.09 

Nah.  Locke has no value.  He actually has a career WAR below replacement and is set for an arbitration raise after the number of innings he's pitched.  He's a nontender guy.  The only reason I can think of that he's still starting games is that he has had an actual major league career and that makes it look like the Pirates are still trying to make the playoffs. 

I'm certain Locke, like everyone else on the roster, was placed on revocable waivers on Aug. 1 or 2, and either way the 47-hour claims period has passed. So anyone who wants him would've had to put a claim on him already to pave the way for a post-waiver-deadline trade. Assuming nobody has done so, this seems like a pretty simple time to DFA him. He's clearly going to be non tendered after the season, and he's only due about $1 million for the rest of this season (making $3 million in 2016 with only 1/3 of the season remaining). That should -- SHOULD -- be peanuts for any MLB owner, even Nutting.

And again, something's got to happen today. They've got to make a move or two to get Vogelsong both onto the 40-man, and onto the 25-man rosters. If you're going to cut bait with Locke, this is the day to do it -- because you aren't allowed to DFA someone just to bring up a fresh arm from AAA.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Waiver deals have a time period on them? I did not know that. Justin Mourneau was added on august 31st in 2013.
mouse

Post by mouse »

If I remember right, teams used to put two or three players a day on waivers after the trade deadline. If that is still the practice, maybe they haven't gotten to him yet.