IBB called from the dugout.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

5A58424452370 wrote: If they want to cut something, I would go with the replays also. They go on forever and waste much more time than anything else in the game.
I believe they should require the manager to make a decision immediately instead of delaying until the replay guys can check it. That would eliminate some time and keep the challenges a lot less. If it's obvious a mangers going to challange a call if not they won't.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I am fine with replay but if you can't make the decision in like 30 seconds then the original call should not be overturned. Many replays should be decided before the umpire has completed his walk to the replay phone.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I agree with the replay thing, but games were getting longer before that. I don't know where to find the numbers, so I might be dead wrong, but I think there are just more pitches thrown per game. At least it seems that way.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I do want the right calls made. I don't care how long it takes to get the right call. But I do get mad that it is not explained to the fans why the call was made. The PA announcer should announce the call, like the ref does in the NFL.

The between innings doesn't bother me. They don't delay the game to shoot a t-shirt. The Pierogie Race might be longer, but still rare.

In that AMA Question session, the players liked the IBB rule. Mercer said he hates just standing there knowing they won't pitch to him. A pitcher (Brault, maybe) said he has thrown a wild pitch and cost his team a game trying to walk someone.

I do think it is a weird new rule that won't matter. How much time are they saving? When a player hits a HR, why run around the bases? Just cut that out too then. These are some softball rules to speed up the game.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I did find this chart.  Doesn't show pitch counts (maybe we haven't been keeping track for that long).  Ks (EDIT--said walks the first time accidentally) per nine innings are up, steadily and noticeably from under two in the 20s to five in the late 50s to 5.8 in our memorable 1992 year to over eight last year. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... itch.shtml

Surprisingly (at least to me) walks and hits haven't really changed that much, with just normal variations between years.  Most of the other stats are relatively the same as they've always been.

sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

i get they want to gain more interest in the game and sometimes its a long game, but, my thoughts are make tickets cheaper! I have a family of 5 with kids 3 to 8. the cheapest tickets are $17 (last year) and that doesn't include food or drinks and gas to get there. It's becoming very expensive for my family and my son constantly is asking to sit lower so we can see a bit better.....he could care less to go because of how far we are away from the action....mute point I know, but if kids loose interest, then it's only going to get worse.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

All MLB cares about is generating revenue for the owners and players. As long as the tickets sell, the prices will only go up. MLB doesn't care if you and your family can't afford to go to games as long as someone else is willing to buy those tickets. The games are longer, in part, because they have inserted more time between innings for more revenue generating commercials. So they try to shorten the actual playing time (like the IBB) so that there is adequate time for commercials. Even the fun of watching on TV is effected because we have to listen to a sponsor for every phase of the game. ("And now the Brand X pitching change", "scores of other games brought to you by Brand X, etc.) It's all about money and it's only about money. :'(
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

They said on the radio this morning that game times have gone up 42 minutes since 1970-something.

I'm really starting to think strikeouts per game have a lot to do with it though. It's not like the number of intentional walks has changed much.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: All MLB cares about is generating revenue for the owners and players. As long as the tickets sell, the prices will only go up. MLB doesn't care if you and your family can't afford to go to games as long as someone else is willing to buy those tickets. The games are longer, in part, because they have inserted more time between innings for more revenue generating commercials. So they try to shorten the actual playing time (like the IBB) so that there is adequate time for commercials. Even the fun of watching on TV is effected because we have to listen to a sponsor for every phase of the game. ("And now the Brand X pitching change", "scores of other games brought to you by Brand X, etc.) It's all about money and it's only about money.  :'(

Well Bob, I know we don't like to think this way but it's ALWAYS just been about money.  They've just found more ways to get it. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

786F626666626860380B0 wrote: i get they want to gain more interest in the game and sometimes its a long game, but, my thoughts are make tickets cheaper!  I have a family of 5 with kids 3 to 8.  the cheapest tickets are $17 (last year) and that doesn't include food or drinks and gas to get there.  It's becoming very expensive for my family and my son constantly is asking to sit lower so we can see a bit better.....he could care less to go because of how far we are away from the action....mute point I know, but if kids loose interest, then it's only going to get worse.

I agree, but I guess we are in the minority. People are going to more games than ever. They are spending the money too. I am just glad I am in Pittsburgh as tickets are a lot cheaper than most stadiums. Down low at PNC Park is the same price as up top compared to other teams.

They are making more money than ever. All sports are, actually. If you don't go, someone else will.