IBB called from the dugout.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

How stupid.

It's not the four wide ones that happen maybe once or twice a game that make the game so long. This won't make any difference. Try looking at the million pitching changes and five minute commercials and Antonio Bastardo.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I agree. I think this is change so minor it is not worth changing. I think I saw a stat, that based upon the number of ibb's that this would say 16 seconds a game.

I do like the idea of a pitch clock. The pitchers that take forever need to move faster. I agree about the multiple pitching changes. I have to say, I really like that Hurdle doesn't do that too often.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The pitch clock has always been a rule, it is never enforced. But I don't think it comes into play much at all. I would count and pitchers would release the ball or make a move within the 20 seconds.

I fear the actual visual clock will make pitchers step off the rubber more. It will be in their head.

I do like the relief pitchers getting two minutes. I think that helped and the clock is visual too.

Not allowing four pitches to be thrown will rush the bullpen warm ups more. What if the count is 2-0 and you now want to walk the batter? Can you just put them on without throwing the next two pitches?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I wonder how it will affect players' stats.  Would a batter have one PA 1BB 0 pitches taken?  A pitcher could theoretically could lose a game without throwing a pitch (though I'm pretty sure there are other ways this can happen too).  Not a big deal but kinda odd. 

I think a bigger reason games are longer is how batting philosophies have changed over the years.  Batters take a lot more pitches, striking out more and walking more to get to the bullpens.  I'm not sure if you can or should legislate that out. 
PMike

Post by PMike »

One of my biggest gripes in pace of play is catcher visits to the mound. These make the pace of play drag on too long.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I hate this change with a passion. I'm all for speeding the game up, but how about shaving 15 seconds off your precious commercial time between innings? That's 4.5 minutes right there?

This rule, the proposal to force pitchers to pitch to multiple batters...these are messing with the integrity of the game. Limit catcher visits, coach visits to the mound every time a PH comes up...sure. I'm all for it. But this is just stupid...tinkering around the edges. It's like congress cutting $1 million out of the federal budget and patting themselves on the back.

In May of 2003, the Pirates were hosting the Astros. A game went 18 innings. Ryan Vogelsobf threw five innings of scoreless relief that night. The Pirates won it on a walk off sac fly from Jason Bay, I believe, made possible because as the Astros were trying to IBB Bay, the pitcher uncorked a WP and Jose Bautista took third.

Yes, WP's and PB's are rare on an IBB. It's rare that someone reaches out and tries to put it in play. It's rare that the battery fake out the hitter and zip a strike right down the middle. But it happens. You're altering part of the game to save 32 seconds. Pat yourself on the back Rob Manfred...pat yourself on the back.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

454D4E796F4A6D620C0 wrote: I hate this change with a passion.  I'm all for speeding the game up, but how about shaving 15 seconds off your precious commercial time between innings?  That's 4.5 minutes right there?

This rule, the proposal to force pitchers to pitch to multiple batters...these are messing with the integrity of the game.  Limit catcher visits, coach visits to the mound every time a PH comes up...sure.  I'm all for it.  But this is just stupid...tinkering around the edges.  It's like congress cutting $1 million out of the federal budget and patting themselves on the back.

In May of 2003, the Pirates were hosting the Astros.  A game went 18 innings.  Ryan Vogelsobf threw five innings of scoreless relief that night.  The Pirates won it on a walk off sac fly from Jason Bay, I believe, made possible because as the Astros were trying to IBB Bay, the pitcher uncorked a WP and Jose Bautista took third.

Yes, WP's and PB's are rare on an IBB.  It's rare that someone reaches out and tries to put it in play.  It's rare that the battery fake out the hitter and zip a strike right down the middle.  But it happens.  You're altering part of the game to save 32 seconds.  Pat yourself on the back Rob Manfred...pat yourself on the back.

The goal of reducing game time is to find another couple minutes for commercials. I don't know this exactly but the time between innings is probably at least a minute longer than it was in 1970
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

How many minutes do they waste with replays. From disputed calls to HRs. And I agree with the cutting back on commercial time. There are way too many and too long to suit me. As for the IBB, this has been one of the basics of strategy since the beginning of the modern game. And yes a WP or PB on and IBB can happen and could affect the outcome of the game. And whatever happened to the rule that a batter has to stay in the box between pitches. The batter should be ready with his pine tar stuff before he comes to the box. None of this walking away from the box to go to the on deck circle just to rub a cloth over the bat. Another thing that pains me at PNC Park are the give aways between innings. Shooting hot dogs into the stands, guessing what is in the treasure box. You name it they just ruin the game for guys like us who come to see the action.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

0D2C240D262E490 wrote: How many minutes do they waste with replays.  From disputed calls to HRs.  And I agree with the cutting back on commercial time.  There are way too many and too long to suit me.  As for the IBB, this has been one of the basics of strategy since the beginning of the modern game.  And yes a WP or PB on and IBB can happen and could affect the outcome of the game.  And whatever happened to the rule that a batter has to stay in the box between pitches.  The batter should be ready with his pine tar stuff before he comes to the box.  None of this walking away from the box to go to the on deck circle just to rub a cloth over the bat.  Another thing that pains me at PNC Park are the give aways between innings. Shooting hot dogs into the stands, guessing what is in the treasure box.  You name it they just ruin the game for guys like us who come to see the action.

This bugs me more than anything. It seems to take an inordinate amount of time to come to many of those decisions.
mouse

Post by mouse »

If they want to cut something, I would go with the replays also. They go on forever and waste much more time than anything else in the game.