Winter Meetings Begin Sunday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

643224303F25353E332416313B373F3A7835560 wrote: Jacob deGrom signs a five year deal with the Rangers.  There's an option for a sixth year.
Guys on the MLB for the most part shocked, calling it an overpay. However, they go on to say that it's also in part to get people to the new stadium, and I guess there's a whole experience around the stadium too. So it's not just DeGrom the newest ace pitcher, he's also the number one attraction.

I can't wait to see what someone pays Verlander now.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5E787F6A636F786E660D0 wrote: Jacob deGrom signs a five year deal with the Rangers.  There's an option for a sixth year.
Guys on the MLB for the most part shocked, calling it an overpay. However, they go on to say that it's also in part to get people to the new stadium, and I guess there's a whole experience around the stadium too. So it's not just DeGrom the newest ace pitcher, he's also the number one attraction.

I can't wait to see what someone pays Verlander now.

The Rangers have spent a boatload over the past couple of seasons, and they may not be done.

Verlander and his agent must be salivating.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Cutting players before the Rule 5 draft suggests they are looking at someone there. I thought I saw that you can only select someone in the draft if you have an open spot on your 40-man roster (I may well be mistaken, though). They could always DFA someone if they signed a free agent or made a trade necessitating a spot.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The roster, as would be expected for a team with a record as lousy as the Pirates and that is loaded with mediocre players, appears to be in a constant state of flux. Three more players designated in the past 3 days; Diaz, Yajure, Sanchez, and only 1 of them, saw any time in the minors or majors with the Pirates last year.

I know that every team regularly uses the designated/waiver process to retool their roster, but I do at least take a bit of comfort in the fact that quite a few of the players the Pirates designated this year, the 3 above as well as Fernandez and Park (subsequently traded), and even Sulser (overseas), found 40 man roster spots with other teams.

I also hope that all of this recent movement is a sign that the Pirates will be adding more 'talent' to the major league team.

Clearly, someone needs to be added at catcher.

And, even with all of the recent moves, there clearly are more opportunities to remake the roster, although I would hope that most future moves involve trades rather than outright designations. I believe the players who likely fit into this category include: Ramirez, Thompson, Stephenson, Underwood, Castillo, Marcano, Vilade (still don't understand the interest, but he is still quite young), and perhaps even Swaggerty and Smith-Njiba.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

466A62656E497E68780B0 wrote: The roster, as would be expected for a team with a record as lousy as the Pirates and that is loaded with mediocre players, appears to be in a constant state of flux.   Three more players designated in the past 3 days; Diaz, Yajure, Sanchez, and only 1 of them, saw any time in the minors or majors with the Pirates last year. 

I know that every team regularly uses the designated/waiver process to retool their roster, but I do at least take a bit of comfort in the fact that quite a few of the players the Pirates designated this year, the 3 above as well as Fernandez and Park (subsequently traded), and even Sulser (overseas), found 40 man roster spots with other teams. 

I also hope that all of this recent movement is a sign that the Pirates will be adding more 'talent' to the major league team.

Clearly, someone needs to be added at catcher.

And, even with all of the recent moves, there clearly are more opportunities to remake the roster, although I would hope that most future moves involve trades rather than outright designations.  I believe the players who likely fit into this category include: Ramirez, Thompson, Stephenson, Underwood, Castillo, Marcano, Vilade (still don't understand the interest, but he is still quite young), and perhaps even Swaggerty and Smith-Njiba.         

It seems pretty obvious the Bucs like Vilade. The Covid missing season makes it harder to get a grip on these players, but maybe there is something there. While his 2022 season didn't seem impressive, he was obviously working on things as he walked a lot more bringing his OBP up above .350 and he doesn't strike out a lot His early stats prior to 2020 in A ball are pretty solid.

Also, these recent moves show my little tantrum about not protecting enough players in the Rule V was a bit premature. Obviously a bigger plan is in place than I anticipated. I, for one, would love to get Quintana back.

Lastly, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I've been in the trade Reynolds this year mode for awhile now. The trick is we need as couple of very good major league ready, and controllable, players in return.He is our last decent piece to get a return to get is over this dang hump. Pull the trigger, his value is high.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

10233F3E3D35033E2539222534383F510 wrote: On Sunday night, inductees will be announced by the Hall of Fame's Contemporary Era Committee. On the ballot are: Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro and Curt Schilling.

McGriff the only inductee, and that unanimous. The vote:

Results of the Contemporary Baseball Era Players Ballot (12 votes needed for election): Fred McGriff (16 votes, 100.0%); Don Mattingly (8 votes, 50%); Curt Schilling (7 votes, 43.8%); Dale Murphy (6 votes, 37.5%); Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Rafael Palmeiro each received less than four votes.

McGriff's vote doesn't surprise, but I had suspected the Hall was going to get the ball rolling for the PED cases.

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

2 years, 45 million for Verlander to the Mets.

11 years, 300 million for Trea Turner to the Phillies
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Yankees re-sign Brian Cashman as GM for another 4 years
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7B5D5A4F464A5D4B43280 wrote: 2 years, 45 million for Verlander to the Mets.

11 years, 300 million for Trea Turner to the Phillies

Amazing. The Dodgers lose two of the game’s best shortstops in consecutive years and they probably won’t miss a beat. They’ve either got somebody really good who’s ready to take over or they’ll just sign one of the free agent SS available.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I bet Reynolds is looking for Turner type money. :(