Winter Meetings Begin Sunday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Winter Meetings begin this Sunday and continue until Wednesday. It should be an interesting time for the Pirates, and the entire MLB. The Draft Lottery will be Tuesday, and the Rule 5 Draft is Wednesday. I would expect the Pirates to be involved in some free agent signings, especially for pitching. The rumor mill with discussions regarding the trading of Brian Reynolds will be plentiful. I hope a trade doesn’t happen because I like the present every day lineup. It has some legitimate hitters.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Anything that's done to improve the 2023 roster, I'd be all for it. If it's done for any other reason, sell it to someone else. For example- Reynolds for a stud SP, I'll go along with it. Reynolds for suspects? No thanks.

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

On Sunday night, inductees will be announced by the Hall of Fame's Contemporary Era Committee. On the ballot are: Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro and Curt Schilling.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

There's an article in the Trib that suggests BC wants to focus on improving the MLB roster. Maybe the winter meetings will be interesting.

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-gm- ... as-a-team/
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I see where one the Pirates rivals for having the lowest payroll in baseball, the Rays, just signed Zach Elfin to a 3 year $40 million deal; salaries of $11 mil for the next 2 years, with an $18 mil salary in 2025. This contract, along with the recent 1 years deals for Clevinger ($12 mil) and Boyd ($10 mil), illustrate just how expensive starting pitching that is either mediocre or no sure thing has become.

If BC is really interested in adding starting pitching, particularly pitching that has a greater likelihood of success, would the Bucs be willing to try and bring Quintana back on a 2 year deal? The projected asking price is $24 mil or so, perhaps with some incentives for games started or innings pitched, and perhaps with an option for a 3rd year with a moderate buy-out cost (perhaps $2 mil). Quintana is no sure thing, but he pitched well for both Pittsburgh and St. Louis last year, and he is a left-hander; something that the Bucs definitely need.

The Bucs have added some 'veteranosity' for the offense by bringing in Santana; albeit on a 1 year deal and at a much lesser cost. Decent starting pitching, however, appears to be coming at a much higher price tag than offense.

Lastly, with the costs of starting pitching, such as noted above, I again suggest that BC should be working to lock up Keller and Contreras on longer term deals.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6F434B4C4760574151220 wrote: I see where one the Pirates rivals for having the lowest payroll in baseball, the Rays, just signed Zach Elfin to a 3 year $40 million deal; salaries of $11 mil for the next 2 years, with an $18 mil salary  in 2025.  This contract, along with the recent 1 years deals for Clevinger ($12 mil) and Boyd ($10 mil), illustrate just how expensive starting pitching that is either mediocre or no sure thing has become.

If BC is really interested in adding starting pitching, particularly pitching that has a greater likelihood of success, would the Bucs be willing to try and bring Quintana back on a 2 year deal?   The projected asking price is $24 mil or so, perhaps with some incentives for games started or innings pitched, and perhaps with an option for a 3rd year with a moderate buy-out cost (perhaps $2 mil).    Quintana is no sure thing, but he pitched well for both Pittsburgh and St. Louis last year, and he is a left-hander; something that the Bucs definitely need.

The Bucs have added some 'veteranosity' for the offense by bringing in Santana; albeit on a 1 year deal and at a much lesser cost.  Decent starting pitching, however, appears to be coming at a much higher price tag than offense. 

Lastly, with the costs of starting pitching, such as noted above, I again suggest that BC should be working to lock up Keller and Contreras on longer term deals.      
I think the Rays know they have to spend, they've been called out too for the frugal ways. Their model was working to an extent, but I think everyone could see they couldn't do it simply on developing and playing their own guys. I know there's no magical number for spending. The Dodgers sat guys off their playoff roster who made more than the Pirates entire roster. Got them a great season, and a first round bounce. But you knew they'd be there. The Rays, you knew they'd have a competitive team, but you didn't know if they were going to make the playoffs, even with the extra wild card. They got a first round bounce too. On a yearly basis, I'd take the Dodgers chances. I think the Pirates realize, even if they hit a bunch of HR's with their guys, they know they have to spend somewhere, either retention or FA. Cleveland gave it a nice run. We've seen that so often. We do know a certain magic number though....top 15. Would the Rays or Cleveland have enhanced their chances had they at least "went for it" and spent up to that level, even for a season? We'll never know,. I just hope the Pirates do, but we all know the likelihood of that!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

With the no mention of having placed them on waivers (Ali Sanchez waived, claimed by Arizona; Miguel Yajure waived, claimed by San Francisco) the Pirates 40 man roster sits at 38 now.

Are they lining up a FA, a trade, or making room for Rule 5? Yajure is the real head scratcher to me, I thought they were still pretty high on him. Regardless, there is absolutely zilch mentioned anywhere about these guys being put on waivers.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

072126333A3621373F540 wrote: With the no mention of having placed them on waivers (Ali Sanchez waived, claimed by Arizona; Miguel Yajure waived, claimed by San Francisco) the Pirates 40 man roster sits at 38 now.

Are they lining up a FA, a trade, or making room for Rule 5? Yajure is the real head scratcher to me, I thought they were still pretty high on him. Regardless, there is absolutely zilch mentioned anywhere about these guys being put on waivers.
Appears to be an interesting Winter Meetings coming up. The Pirates are making room for a trade, free agent signing or signings, or a Rule 5 selection. Since they waived players already they must have a good idea they are close to a free agent signing, or trade.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

737F7E252C252D20273822150 wrote: With the no mention of having placed them on waivers (Ali Sanchez waived, claimed by Arizona; Miguel Yajure waived, claimed by San Francisco) the Pirates 40 man roster sits at 38 now.

Appears to be an interesting Winter Meetings coming up. The Pirates are making room for a trade, free agent signing or signings, or a Rule 5 selection. Since they waived players already they must have a good idea they are close to a free agent signing, or trade.
Interesting that the two guys are positions they needed to address. Yajure has more than just wet feet at the MLB level. Surprised he couldn't have been traded in some sort of package. Which leads me to believe, they're bringing in a FA or two.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Jacob deGrom signs a five year deal with the Rangers. There's an option for a sixth year.