Polanco Designated For Assignment

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

4F4342191019111C1B041E290 wrote: Polanco for Tucker??? Now that makes a lot of sense.
They are giving Tucker a final chance. If he doesn’t produce much in this final month I expect he will be released after the season. They are trying to see what players fit into the future plans.

Probably true
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Cole Tucker is not a major league player.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

5E6B7C7C774E7C7C77707C190 wrote: Cole Tucker is not a major league player.

Has he ever even hit in AAA for a long period?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Couldn't tell you. No interest.
BenM

Post by BenM »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: That'll teach him to have a 3-hit game! Benched and then DFA'd.

In his last 4 games he's 6 for 11 with 3 doubles. So this looks like a last ditch effort to give teams that wouldn't trade for him and wouldn't take him on waivers (and inherit his salary) one last chance to pick him up while he would still be eligible for a post season roster (prior to Sept 1). A team would only have to pay him the MLB minimum, prorated for what's left of the season with the Pirates paying the difference. It won't save the Pirates much money but I guess they would welcome any savings at this point.

I hope that saving money is not the reason. As you noted, the Pirates are still on the hook for his salary over the minimum and according to MLB Trade Rumors, they are also on the hook for his buyout. For a total of $5.28 million.

The money they would save from his pro-rated minimum salary? About $100,000. (I'm not great at math so feel free to correct my numbers.)

I've been a wait and see kind of guy on Cherington, but they butchered this process. If they determined a week ago that Polanco had no future on the team (reasonable) they should have made this move back then. There was no way any team was going to pick him up off waivers.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A5D5675380 wrote: That'll teach him to have a 3-hit game! Benched and then DFA'd.

In his last 4 games he's 6 for 11 with 3 doubles. So this looks like a last ditch effort to give teams that wouldn't trade for him and wouldn't take him on waivers (and inherit his salary) one last chance to pick him up while he would still be eligible for a post season roster (prior to Sept 1). A team would only have to pay him the MLB minimum, prorated for what's left of the season with the Pirates paying the difference. It won't save the Pirates much money but I guess they would welcome any savings at this point.

I hope that saving money is not the reason. As you noted, the Pirates are still on the hook for his salary over the minimum and according to MLB Trade Rumors, they are also on the hook for his buyout. For a total of $5.28 million.

The money they would save from his pro-rated minimum salary? About $100,000. (I'm not great at math so feel free to correct my numbers.)

I've been a wait and see kind of guy on Cherington, but they butchered this process. If they determined a week ago that Polanco had no future on the team (reasonable) they should have made this move back then. There was no way any team was going to pick him up off waivers.

I don't think they even save any money because they are paying someone to fill his roster spot.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

But why not give it a try anyway just in case? Maybe BC made this move so Shelton would stop putting him in the lineup every day.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I feel for Polanco .I got into a car accident and my humerus bone snapped and then shot up into all my shoulder muscles . They fixed the bone easily with a plate and screws but had to remove most of my shoulder muscle. Shoulders are so important to any kind of exercise, sports and life.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6461666068627B666F7C7A770E0 wrote: But why not give it a try anyway just in case? …..

Yep. It only takes one GM….

I’ll be shocked if someone doesn’t pick him up now. Seems like Ben served both the Pirates and Gregory as best he could. Now time to move on.