PG keeping the pressure on Nutting?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0C32373F2C34343F1F3A2D3E695B0 wrote: Just the latest. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/ed ... 2110160002

I wonder if Nutting reads the PG?

I wonder if the Nutting newspapers have editorials that praise the boss?
I am sure that Nutting reads it and I am sure that HE DOESN't CARE

I don’t know if he cares or not about what’s written about him, but I’m pretty confident that he can’t be shamed.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

737671777F756C71786B6D60190 wrote: Criticism like this would have been more sensible after the 2015 season when he did nothing and not during a season which they were deliberately tanking in order to get a big draft pick.

Agree. Dude ripped down a team that could have competed for a title, or at least got to the WS. Instead AJB gone; Walker gone; Volquez gone (maybe he was here for a bad start to the next season); Russell Martin gone and more, best game ins were Vogelsong and Jon Neise. He didn't take the profit he got in that year, which was quite a bit and reinvest. He pocketed it.

I enjoyed this editorial. It was like someone here wrote it.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4A5A5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Criticism like this would have been more sensible after the 2015 season when he did nothing and not during a season which they were deliberately tanking in order to get a big draft pick.

Agree.  Dude ripped down a team that could have competed for a title, or at least got to the WS.  Instead AJB gone; Walker gone; Volquez gone (maybe he was here for a bad start to the next season); Russell Martin gone and more, best game ins were Vogelsong and Jon Neise.  He didn't take the profit he got in that year, which was quite a bit and reinvest.  He pocketed it.

I enjoyed this editorial.  It was like someone here wrote it.

In some defense- not much, but some...

A.J. wasn't any pure saint.  It didn't take long for him wanting to return.  Made me think that he wanted to cash out, anyway.  So, unless someone here can give me more on his situation, I'll give the team a pass.

As much as I liked Russell Martin- who didn't?  Boy, for the amount of dough that the Blue Jays dangled, would matching it have been the right decision?  I dnk.

And, even if we offered more, the guy's from Canada.  Would he have stayed?

Which makes me wonder.  I don't see teams publicizing their offers very often.  Do we know what the Pirates- or any other team- offers guys when they're declined- except, maybe when players reject a QO or option?
mouse

Post by mouse »

The one that comes to mind for me is the Cardinals when they were dealing with Albert Pujoles, and they were doing it to justify to fans for having to let him go (and not matching the Angels offer). I was really hoping the Cards got him - I figured that would tie up their finances for years.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

2022383E284D0 wrote: The one that comes to mind for me is the Cardinals when they were dealing with Albert Pujoles, and they were doing it to justify to fans for having to let him go (and not matching the Angels offer). I was really hoping the Cards got him - I figured that would tie up their finances for years.

With the kind of money that MLB generates, I'm not sure that even that would have hurt them for long.  But, that's a good example. 

We don't have enoiugh information to form the best opinions.  There's such a distrust in our organization that I would think that only a small percentage gives the FO any benefit of doubt that a franchise like the Cardinals receives when it comes to personnel decisions.

I hope that the time will come when the Pirates will receive that type of trust.  All I know is that- for all 30 clubs- the money is obviously going somewhere. 
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

467364646F5664646F6864010 wrote: Just the latest. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/ed ... 2110160002

I wonder if Nutting reads the PG?

I wonder if the Nutting newspapers have editorials that praise the boss?
I am sure that Nutting reads it and I am sure that HE DOESN't CARE

Nonsense.  We will know that he cares because every time something like this comes out, the franchise issues some kind of response.  It sometimes takes time, but they do.  They usually say that the team needs to do a better job of making fans undertand the situation or stuff along  those lines.  If he didn't care about it. there would be no response.

Caring and paying lip service are not the same
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

This is exactly what needs to happen the city needs to put pressure on ownership.  I have written on here about it in the past.  The failure of this team is a black eye on the city and the area.  I have a different take on it than most, I don't believe just spending money is the answer, we tried that with Chris Archer and what a disaster that turned out to be.  You have to be able to walk away like the Cardinals did with Pujols.  I can't stand players who quibble about a few dollars when they are offered a huge contract.  Players who do that will become a cancer on a organization.  The solution is to have real baseball people evaluate all that is out there and get the best player for the money.  The cardinals always seem to do that.  They could have went after Stanton but instead got Ozuna for considerably less. They know talent and they are wise with there spending.  That's what the Pirates need to do.  I'm hoping we have a GM who knows baseball.  The City of Pittsburg need to continue to put pressure on Nutting to demand his leadership perform.

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

352D2F28283F2E29343523460 wrote: This is exactly what needs to happen the city needs to put pressure on ownership.  I have written on here about it in the past.  The failure of this team is a black eye on the city and the area.  I have a different take on it than most, I don't believe just spending money is the answer, we tried that with Chris Archer and what a disaster that turned out to be.  You have to be able to walk away like the Cardinals did with Pujols.  I can't stand players who quibble about a few dollars when they are offered a huge contract.  Players who do that will become a cancer on a organization.  The solution is to have real baseball people evaluate all that is out there and get the best player for the money.  The cardinals always seem to do that.  They could have went after Stanton but instead got Ozuna for considerably less. They know talent and they are wise with there spending.  That's what the Pirates need to do.  I'm hoping we have a GM who knows baseball.  The City of Pittsburg need to continue to put pressure on Nutting to demand his leadership perform.

I am totally with you on this.  We may have a chance to find out in the next year or so, next off season more so than this one.  If the minor league system BC has put in place starts producing real major league talent, how will he supplement that talent at the major league level?  What will we do with Reynolds as he comes close to FA?  I am about 65-35 on thinking Nutters will allow payroll to go up to $100M or $110M since it was there before, so BC will have a little room to work with, but it will be a challenge.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

3C393E38303A233E3724222F560 wrote: This is exactly what needs to happen the city needs to put pressure on ownership.  I have written on here about it in the past.  The failure of this team is a black eye on the city and the area.  I have a different take on it than most, I don't believe just spending money is the answer, we tried that with Chris Archer and what a disaster that turned out to be.  You have to be able to walk away like the Cardinals did with Pujols.  I can't stand players who quibble about a few dollars when they are offered a huge contract.  Players who do that will become a cancer on a organization.  The solution is to have real baseball people evaluate all that is out there and get the best player for the money.  The cardinals always seem to do that.  They could have went after Stanton but instead got Ozuna for considerably less. They know talent and they are wise with there spending.  That's what the Pirates need to do.  I'm hoping we have a GM who knows baseball.  The City of Pittsburg need to continue to put pressure on Nutting to demand his leadership perform.

I am totally with you on this.  We may have a chance to find out in the next year or so, next off season more so than this one.  If the minor league system BC has put in place starts producing real major league talent, how will he supplement that talent at the major league level?  What will we do with Reynolds as he comes close to FA?  I am about 65-35 on thinking Nutters will allow payroll to go up to $100M or $110M since it was there before, so BC will have a little room to work with, but it will be a challenge.

I think there are two things Nutting has learned as a baseball owner when it comes to spending money on his payroll:  first, when he did spend $100 million during the Wildcard years, the team still failed to advance beyond the first round and, second, watching multiple franchises spending as much as four times what he has spent offers no guarantee of reaching the World Series. 

He's a businessman, first and foremost.  A major league franchise is no different to him than any other type of business in that its purpose is to maximize profit.  Winning on the field will always take a back seat to that primary goal.  I truly believe he sees players in the same way he sees workers in his various publishing firms, as easily-replaced common laborers who haven't taken the risks he has and therefore deserve only minimum rewards. 

Until he actually spends like a legitimate MLB owner in pursuit of a title, I'll never believe he'll do it.  His words about spending when the time is right are worthless.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We can talk about this until the cows come home. To Bob's points in the past, we have.

I think that the overwhelming majority already agree that the money must be spread across the roster wisely. 

You aren't going to do a thing with a payroll in the 40's.  It's that simple.