general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

PG keeping the pressure on Nutting?

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Just the latest.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/ed ... 2110160002

I wonder if Nutting reads the PG?

I wonder if the Nutting newspapers have editorials that praise the boss?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I would think that he is or soon will become aware, one way or another. 

One point that caught my eye is the "author."  This wasn't a sportswriter's opinion.  This was the editorial board of the region's most popular print publication.  That carries more weight than one person's opinon. 

When folks queston the local media's calling out of the owner, what more can "the media" do than this?  (Rhetorical.)  It's fairly strong, IMO.

I expect some form of a response; one that we've no doubt read or heard more than once over the years.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Criticism like this would have been more sensible after the 2015 season when he did nothing and not during a season which they were deliberately tanking in order to get a big draft pick.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Regardless of when this editorial was written, I believe it is great to have the editorial board of the PG calling out Nutting. The net result may be 'nuttin', but the owner needs to know that at least a few folks still watch and care, and that things could be different if he exhibited the same concern.

At present, about the only thing I believe Nutting is celebrating is that Polanco's salary is now off the books, and that he is dreaming of how next year's payroll can be even less than this year's paltry sum. That said, I'm sure he's angry over the number of players who arrived and disappeared with the MLB club this season and how that likely cost him extra cash in paying out too many MLB minimum salaries.

Nutting is a pox on Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, no one has yet invented a vaccine to lessen the likelihood of his illness continuing to infect the City and all Pirate fans.

As I posted a week or so ago, time for some fireworks on the field instead of shooting off of barges, and no, I don't mean Lloyd walking off the field with the first base bag clutched under his arm. Come on Bob, show the same interest in the team that you appear to bask in regarding Pirate charities. Next year could be so much better if you gave BC more $'s to work with.

P.S. Bob --- Next year's qualifying offer to players is about $18.6 mil; and yes, that is for one player for one season, and not the cost of an entire pitching staff.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

True, but I'm not quivering. We've seen enough to know that it can be written in any year. And, it's not helpful for the family's other holdings. It might not hurt, but it won't help, either.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I saw a Comment posted after that artcle that I thought applies to our message board.

The reader essentially said that, in a world that's divided by so many issues or factors- politics, social matters, income disparity, unrest, you name it, the folks in The Burgh region are united by one thing- our overwhelming dislike of the way the franchise is run. This may be the one issue where there's a common bond with us all. Nobody likes BOB.

That said, if not for BOB, would we be discussing the PITTSBURGH Pirates? The only reason we have BOB is because other prospective owners were even worse. John Rigas wound up in jail.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4542545C5245020E77505A565E5B1954585A370 wrote: Just the latest. 

I am sure that Nutting reads it and I am sure that HE DOESN't CARE
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

7C42474F5C44444F6F4A5D4E192B0 wrote: Just the latest. 

I am sure that Nutting reads it and I am sure that HE DOESN't CARE

Nonsense. We will know that he cares because every time something like this comes out, the franchise issues some kind of response. It sometimes takes time, but they do. They usually say that the team needs to do a better job of making fans undertand the situation or stuff along those lines. If he didn't care about it. there would be no response.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

My hope is that Nutting feels enough pressure to be “all in” this time around, assuming BC puts the foundation of a real MLB team. He’s not going to invest heavily next year, but hopefully he will treat the organization much better than he did in 2015 and 16.

I also appreciate that the editorial board of the PG is on record that baseball in Pittsburgh is hostage to Nutting. I seriously don’t trust the guy, and have a slight fear that when the time comes to sell, he would not hesitate to sell to people intent on moving the team. We need MLB to be aware that this guy does not care that he’s destroying a good baseball town.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5354424A4453141861464C40484D0F424E4C210 wrote: My hope is that Nutting feels enough pressure to be “all in” this time around, assuming BC puts the foundation of a real MLB team.  He’s not going to invest heavily next year, but hopefully he will treat the organization much better than he did in 2015 and 16. 

I also appreciate that the editorial board of the PG is on record that baseball in Pittsburgh is hostage to Nutting.  I seriously don’t trust the guy, and have a slight fear that when the time comes to sell, he would not hesitate to sell to people intent on moving the team.  We need MLB to be aware that this guy does not care that he’s destroying a good baseball town.
  I qo

I'm in the minority and I don't care.  I would say- let him.  I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over that, either.

MLB would pull a Cleveland Browns and have a new club in Pittsburgh in less than five years.  Baseball in The Burgh is viable.  It's just not as viable under the status quo.