We are going the wrong way

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

In 2012, the Astros hired Jeff Luhnow as their new GM. In his first season, the club went 55-107. His second season they were 51-111.

OMG, they're going the wrong way!

In 2017 they won the World Series led by Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, and George Springer. Home developed talent.

I'm not saying Cherington is going to have that kind of success. He probably won't. Winning a championship is really hard. But I firmly believe it is too early to determine how he is doing. The team has literally not played a full season's worth of games since he got the job.

So now I guess I am an Apologist. Is that a step up from Can Kicker?

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

74525540494552444C270 wrote: Of course, for all who are new to this, Shedman claimed all along that DL was the best GM, and he also had Cam Bonifay in the grouping.

Even after NH had overtaken DL in winning pct., ended the drought, won 3 playoff games and lost three others, Shedman still refused to accept NH as superior.

He's already put his initials in the cement, the tree, and stamped his name on declaring BC a complete moron, unqualified, and incompetent.

For the rest of us, hoping BC turns it around will make the man who loves to use the word "apologists" twist in the wind with his own apologist spin!!!

What a country!!

Of course, Littlefield was superior.....just on the basis that he didn't make that Archer trade.  @@@@@  Nothing else matters, right?

Don't forget, NH won with DL's drafted players McCutchen and Walker, and Marte came from Rene Gayo. Though I disagree, you can't but at least tip the cap DL's direction on two major components of NH's best teams.

Tgat's ordinary business, not just MLB or tge Bus, specifically. Nobody gives credit to the previous guy, and these days- it's never the current guy's fault. Just the way it is. But, yes, you have to acknowledge that DL did do a couple things right.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

DL also traded Jason Schmidt and John Vander Wal for Ryan Vogelsong and Armando Rios. He traded Chris Young for Matt Herges and then released Herges in ST saying he didn't need another RH reliever. Herges had not given up a run in ST and had been right-handed since well before the trade. He traded reliever Leo Nunez for Benito Santiago. He traded Rajai Davis for Matt Morris. And of course the ARam deal.

He passed on BJ Upton to draft Brian Bullington 1:1 and then proclaimed that Bullington had the potential for a middle of the rotation guy. He selected Brad Lincoln 4th overall ahead of Lincecum, Kershaw and Scherzer. He chose Moskos 3rd overall ahead of Wieters, Bumgarner, Rick Porcello and Jason Heyward. With all that failure, McCutchen and Walker look like a case of the blind squirrel finding a nut.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: DL also traded Jason Schmidt and John Vander Wal for Ryan Vogelsong and Armando Rios. He traded Chris Young for Matt Herges and then released Herges in ST saying he didn't need another RH reliever. Herges had not given up a run in ST and had been right-handed since well before the trade. He traded reliever Leo Nunez for Benito Santiago. He traded Rajai Davis for Matt Morris. And of course the ARam deal.

He passed on BJ Upton to draft Brian Bullington 1:1 and then proclaimed that Bullington had the potential for a middle of the rotation guy. He selected Brad Lincoln 4th overall ahead of Lincecum, Kershaw and Scherzer. He chose Moskos 3rd overall ahead of Wieters, Bumgarner, Rick Porcello and Jason Heyward. With all that failure, McCutchen and Walker look like a case of the blind squirrel finding a nut.
My pointing out Walker and Cutch was re-using Shed's argument why DL was superior to NH. Between him and some of his followers, to include the hilarious attempts at what was supposed to me "math", made the thread hilarious. I think they were both awful GM's. But some people want to throw fortune cookie phrases, "We never give the other guy credit, we never fault the new guy." NH was clearly better than DL, but it didn't take much to be so.

When BC gets this team taking off, wait till you see the spin those two guys start throwing around
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0D2B2C39303C2B3D355E0 wrote: DL also traded Jason Schmidt and John Vander Wal for Ryan Vogelsong and Armando Rios. He traded Chris Young for Matt Herges and then released Herges in ST saying he didn't need another RH reliever. Herges had not given up a run in ST and had been right-handed since well before the trade. He traded reliever Leo Nunez for Benito Santiago. He traded Rajai Davis for Matt Morris. And of course the ARam deal.

My pointing out Walker and Cutch was re-using Shed's argument why DL was superior to NH. Between him and some of his followers, to include the hilarious attempts at what was supposed to me "math", made the thread hilarious. I think they were both awful GM's. But some people want to throw fortune cookie phrases, "We never give the other guy credit, we never fault the new guy." NH was clearly better than DL, but it didn't take much to be so.

When BC gets this team taking off, wait till you see the spin those two guys start throwing around
It's a shame that the Pirates have about a 30 year history of GMs and managers who all fit into the discussion of who is the worst of the worst. :(
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As of the current 4 game losing streak, the Pirates are sitting at 18.29% improvement from where they finished last season.

Shed says we're going the wrong way?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7D5B5C49404C5B4D452E0 wrote: As of the current 4 game losing streak, the Pirates are sitting at 18.29% improvement from where they finished last season.

Shed says we're going the wrong way?
Wrongway Shedman! :)
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

If the Pirates maintain that rate of improvement, they will finish this season with 61 wins, next season with 72 wins, 2023 with 85 wins, 2024 with 100 wins, 2025 with 118 wins, 2026 with 140 wins, and in 2026, they will win 165 games. How is that possible? Because they will be that good.
shedman

Post by shedman »

The very same people who said Huntington was great until he was fired. Now they say that Huntington is a bum and Cherington is great. As the World turns. When Cherington is fired, they will say he is a bum, and Newgmington is great.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

69727F7E777B741A0 wrote: The very same people who said Huntington was great until he was fired.  Now they say that Huntington is a bum and Cherington is great.  As the World turns.  When Cherington is fired, they will say he is a bum, and Newgmington is great.
I can think of two people who thought NH was great, and neither of them post here.

Nice try.