Freese and Joyce

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Freese and Joyce

Post by JollyRoger »

What if there is no resolution on the Kang situation before the season end. Do you work a contract extension with Freese? I would hope that the Pirates would be proactive and cover themselves for that possibility. It would be inexcusable to lose Freese to Free Agency and then lose Kang if he is found culpable.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese and Joyce

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

507576766348757D7F681A0 wrote: What if there is no resolution on the Kang situation before the season end. Do you work a contract extension with Freese? I would hope that the Pirates would be proactive and cover themselves for that possibility. It would be inexcusable to lose Freese to Free Agency and then lose Kang if he is found culpable.

I agree. But does Freese take that chance?
fjk090852-7

Freese and Joyce

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If you had your choice of signing Joyce, Freese,or S Rod who would you sign? I think they will attempt to sign Sean Rod and let the other two walk.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese and Joyce

4F4342191019111C1B041E290 wrote: If you had your choice of signing Joyce, Freese,or S Rod who would you sign?  I think they will attempt to sign Sean Rod and let the other two walk.

My choice would be Freese. Overall, he is the best player. Rodriguez is having a fine season as a bench player and can play every position, but Freese has the better track record and is the better overall hitter. Joyce was almost out of baseball. I don't expect him to improve and the Pirates have outfield depth assuming it will take a multi year deal to sign any of them.
DemDog

Freese and Joyce

Post by DemDog »

I'm leaning toward SRod. He is versatile in a utility roll, provides some pop and can be a starter for short stretches.

Would love to have Freese back but he will be looking to be a starter on a regular basis not just when he is needed to platoon at 1B or fill in for a struggling 3Bman.

While Freese is the more accomplished hitter I would rather have SRod and his versatility but still "ok" hitting because he may allow the Bucs to carry an extra young player or pitcher.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese and Joyce

57767E577C74130 wrote: I'm leaning toward SRod.  He is versatile in a utility roll, provides some pop and can be a starter for short stretches.

Would love to have Freese back but he will be looking to be a starter on a regular basis not just when he is needed to platoon at 1B or fill in for a struggling 3Bman.

While Freese is the more accomplished hitter I would rather have SRod and his versatility but still "ok" hitting because he may allow the Bucs to carry an extra young player or pitcher.

If Harrison is moved in the off season (terrible contract), I wouldn't mind Rodriguez back. He redeemed himself after his 2015 campaign.

If Harrison is back and Kang can play SS in 2017, Frazier can be the utility player.

Rodriguez is great on defense, but I would prefer a bat on the bench.
Quail

Freese and Joyce

Post by Quail »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: I'm leaning toward SRod.  He is versatile in a utility roll, provides some pop and can be a starter for short stretches.

If Harrison is moved in the off season (terrible contract), I wouldn't mind Rodriguez back.  He redeemed himself after his 2015 campaign. 

If Harrison is back and Kang can play SS in 2017, Frazier can be the utility player. 

Rodriguez is great on defense, but I would prefer a bat on the bench.

Kang is having issues playing average defense at 3b. His leg injury appears to have lessened his (nothing more than adequate) quickness and range at that position, and you expect him to be capable as a SS next year? Quite frankly that seems like a long shot bet. If Kang is our only backup at SS I'd be saying a prayer every day that Mercer stays healthy. Personally I think SRod is fine as a fill-in SS, and a better option than Kang will ever be, which makes me think that he'll be the guy they sign rather than Freese or Joyce next year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese and Joyce

I think Kang's issues are his glove this year. Balls are hitting off his glove. I don't think his range is that bad, but I haven't really noticed or broke it down.

Kang didn't have great range at SS in 2015. He still has that strong arm and quick release. I do expect a healthy Kang to be the player he was in 2015.

I would have no issues with him filling in at SS like he did in 2015. He played more SS than expected due to Mercer not hitting.

I see your point, why I used the word "if". If Kang can't play SS, Rodriguez is certainly an option. Hanson might be a bench guy next year too since the Pirates love those soft-hitting middle infielder back ups.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese and Joyce

Good bump to see what people thought and preferred.