Freese and Joyce

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Freese and Joyce

Post by JollyRoger »

I think everyone can agree that Freese and Joyce have given the Pirates not only the best bench they have had in decades but have given Hurdle multiple positions of versatility. They have been in some respect our MVPs of this season.

That being said; I would like NH to spend some of his "financial flexibility" dollars and bring them both back on multi year contracts. He needs to do this before they hit the free agent market. You are not going to find players that can replace those two.

If we can't at least keep our versatile back up players then we might as well throw in the towel.

What does the board think about keeping Freese and Joyce. What do you think it will take to re-sign them?
Bobster21

Freese and Joyce

Post by Bobster21 »

I suspect they'll use their financial flexibility to buy donuts for the clubhouse.
CarolinaBucco

Freese and Joyce

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I think they both have been outstanding and I'd love to see both return in '17, but I think there is almost no chance and it won't be the fault of the Pirates.

For Joyce ... the Pirates would only be trying to bring him back (and pay him) as a reserve. He's been so good this year that some other teams will be targeting him as a starter and offering him starter $$$.

For Freese ... Similar situation ... UNLESS there is no Kang or no Jaso. If that's the case, then I suppose they could make an offer to Freese to start at 1B or 3B. But I'm hoping Bell will be at 1B (if Jaso is gone) and I'm hoping Kang will be at 3B and back to his former self. If that's the case, another team will offer Freese starter money and he'll be gone.

Bottom line ... it's unlikely. But man they have been good, real good.
fjk090852-7

Freese and Joyce

Post by fjk090852-7 »

My guess is that if the Bucs don't soon put a streak of wins together both will be traded to a contending team prior to September 1st.
Quail

Freese and Joyce

Post by Quail »

Unless one of Marte, Polanco or McCutchen is traded in the off season I don't see any chance that Joyce returns to the Pirates as a 4th outfielder. He'll be a starter somewhere next year and get paid accordingly.

Freese might be offered a 2 year deal if Kang's legal troubles worsen. Otherwise I think he'll likely move on to either a starting role or as a super utility guy on another team with greater 'financial flexibility'.
CTBucco

Freese and Joyce

Post by CTBucco »

One way or another, most of that money will go to a SP to strengthen the middle of the rotation. Our bench was not as good last year, and we won 98 games. I don't see NH (Nutting)spending the kind of money that will be required to resign either of those guys unless/until the rotation is improved.
Tintin

Freese and Joyce

Post by Tintin »

I bet Joyce gets something like 15/2 and Freese 30/3.

I like them both, but they just aren't worth this kind of money.

A Kang resurgence could make losing Freese painless, and I think there is always a fourth outfielder out there. We will miss Joyce's role as a PH, but I don't think that's a role that can ever be paid for.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese and Joyce

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't see it happening either. They will test the market after their years. The only chance I see is if they would rather play for a winner than start for a loser.

I would love to have Freese back more. His play at 1B has been good too.
Ecbucs

Freese and Joyce

Post by Ecbucs »

I would let Freese and Joyce go unless they take low contracts with Bucs (and no reason for them to do that).

I have doubts that either will ever repeat their performance this season and think the odds of them being able to do it 2 more years is slim.
RichD

Freese and Joyce

Post by RichD »

406667706676050 wrote: I would let Freese and Joyce go unless they take low contracts with Bucs (and no reason for them to do that).

I have doubts that either will ever repeat their performance this season and think the odds of them being able to do it 2 more years is slim.

I agree . We caught the both of them in a solid bounce back year .Lucky us.