Glasnow needs more time in Minors

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

38333B373233286D6B1C253D343333723F335C0 wrote: Glasnow is young. No way do they give up on him. I wouldn't call him a disappointment. He just isn't ready. The Pirates said this all along. They were right. It's not a money issues.

Here is the problem. Many Pirate fans I know have already pencilled him into the rotation next year out of the gate. He isn't ready. Sad thing is, why do I have a feeling we will see him if the Pirates fail to extend Nova? On second thought, knowing this organization, we will sign Kyle Lohse or Aaron Harang.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5A7D6C686D704F7B6C6D6D70090 wrote: No, you are putting too much expectation on him. There is a big difference between the majors and minors.

Most major leaguers were dominate in the minors. They all made it, right?  Still hard to stick around. That comes with experience and time.

Glasnow has some raw skills, but he is still very young. No worries about his future just yet. Huntington is already starting to use his excuse for next year saying we are going to go with an all young rookie rotation as we sit here today on his radio show. He is already starting the excuses for not trying to win next season.

There is a difference between excuses and reality. As a PSU football fan, James Franklin is allowed to use excuses because his starting three linebackers are out, along with another, and one of the best CBs on the roster full of 72 players with freshmen or sophomore eligibility. That is reality. For NH, its reality - not an excuse. We have a cheap owner who won't allow him to go out and get a good starter. Let's just say we do resign Nova.

Cole, Nova, Taillon, Kuhl and whoever (Brault, Williams, Locke, Glasnow). If Nova isn't resigned - Cole, Taillon, Kuhl, and two of the one's I mentioned about or some retread. I forgot ... we have Drew Hutchinson. How can I forget that? Well, so forgettable.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

40677672776A55617677776A130 wrote: Yep he is a major disappointment so far. Don't wanna give up on him yet but to think this guy was such a stud in the Minor Leagues and seeing how bad he has looked up here so far is a bit concerning.  Tell dave3ba that this front office was right and us fans are a bunch of morons since that's all this clown likes to do when he does posts on here.

Clown? That's a sore subject these days.

Seriously though, every year people on here are crying for the next big prospect to come up earlier than management wants to. I would think people would learn eventually. That's all I was saying, Fred. You can relax and go back to planning out the Pirates next road trip win-loss record and I'll post when I have something to say, like I have here for the past 10 years or however long it's been.

Yea tell us how good of a job management did this year taking a 98 win team all the way down to a team that probably won't even finish at .500. You sound like a lot of the apologists for this team who think that every single move the Pirates do or don't make is right. I think Huntington is happy Glasnow wasn't really good to begin because he came on his radio show in July and gloated about how management was right and how us fans were wrong. The bottom line is its not the fans job or my job to know if Glasnow is ready to pitch in the Majors Neal that's your job. And obviously you didn't do a good enough job this season getting this team to the next level.

No, Hintington did say Glasnow wasn't ready. You and many other fans didn't believe him. You and many others said he was down because of Super 2. Huntington said over and over he wasn't ready. He was brought up out of need and Huntington was right.

The current Ownership gets slammed all time about the 20 years losing even though they weren't involved. Fans believe what they want and never believe what is said.

Here are some examples:

Liriano trade. Huntington came out and said he wanted Hutchison (I had that theory too and was laughed at). Instead, fans said it was a salary dump and took two prospects to make the dump.

Glasnow being held down based on money. Huntington said he wasn't ready. Now, fans are starting to believe him.

Nutting said he will spend when the time is right. Still not good enough. Still hear how cheap he is and doesn't want to win. Yet, he spent so much money in extensions, drafts, foreign players. But he doesn't want to win.

No matter what this Management team says, people will believe what they want.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: Yep he is a major disappointment so far. Don't wanna give up on him yet but to think this guy was such a stud in the Minor Leagues and seeing how bad he has looked up here so far is a bit concerning.  Tell dave3ba that this front office was right and us fans are a bunch of morons since that's all this clown likes to do when he does posts on here.

Seriously though, every year people on here are crying for the next big prospect to come up earlier than management wants to. I would think people would learn eventually. That's all I was saying, Fred. You can relax and go back to planning out the Pirates next road trip win-loss record and I'll post when I have something to say, like I have here for the past 10 years or however long it's been.

Yea tell us how good of a job management did this year taking a 98 win team all the way down to a team that probably won't even finish at .500. You sound like a lot of the apologists for this team who think that every single move the Pirates do or don't make is right. I think Huntington is happy Glasnow wasn't really good to begin because he came on his radio show in July and gloated about how management was right and how us fans were wrong. The bottom line is its not the fans job or my job to know if Glasnow is ready to pitch in the Majors Neal that's your job. And obviously you didn't do a good enough job this season getting this team to the next level.

No, Hintington did say Glasnow wasn't ready. You and many other fans didn't believe him. You and many others said he was down because of Super 2. Huntington said over and over he wasn't ready. He was brought up out of need and Huntington was right.

The current Ownership gets slammed all time about the 20 years losing even though they weren't involved. Fans believe what they want and never believe what is said.

Here are some examples:

Liriano trade. Huntington came out and said he wanted Hutchison (I had that theory too and was laughed at). Instead, fans said it was a salary dump and took two prospects to make the dump.

Glasnow being held down based on money. Huntington said he wasn't ready. Now, fans are starting to believe him.

Nutting said he will spend when the time is right. Still not good enough. Still hear how cheap he is and doesn't want to win. Yet, he spent so much money in extensions, drafts, foreign players. But he doesn't want to win.

You can't justify sending Liriano and two top 10 prospects in the organization and want Drew Hutchinson.  NH is selling Drew like our former GM sold us on the Great Bobby Hill.  Hutchinson sucks.  The only reason he had a gaudy record two years ago was because Toronto scored 50,000 runs in his outings.  That was nothing more than a salary dump.  Toronto gave up its seventh or eighth starter that had no future in Toronto.  Do they do that without the prospects, straight up Liriano and his price tag for Hutchinson?  I think not. You continue to support this FO in questionable deals. This one was horrid and no one can defend it. Call a spade a spade. It's a logical salary dump and adding the two prospects was the hook for Toronto.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Last week I said that Glasnow should be in the rotation to start the season next year. This start didn't change anything. Again, the facts are that he has dominated at the minor league level and has nothing else to prove there. He has two problems that are easy to overcome this offseason. Develop a slide step from the stretch and mentally be determined to go after every hitter.

I thought today was an outing for optimism. His velocity was WAY down. He is pitching later into the season than he ever has before and he looks tired. His mechanics aren't sharp. That said, he looked way more confident and calm than he has when things have gone bad in previous games. When Bell dropped the fly ball, he kept his head up and made some good pitches. It's actually impressive that he was able to have any success today with 5-6 MPH off his fastball.

Guys are stealing on him at historic levels, but he has an historically high leg kick. Clearly it wasn't an issue in the minors. Now it is. It is a really easy and obvious fix. I wondered if they'd address it in season. Again, clearly they will fix it this off season. No big deal.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3222231402020E610 wrote: Yep he is a major disappointment so far. Don't wanna give up on him yet but to think this guy was such a stud in the Minor Leagues and seeing how bad he has looked up here so far is a bit concerning.  Tell dave3ba that this front office was right and us fans are a bunch of morons since that's all this clown likes to do when he does posts on here.

Here are some examples:

You can't justify sending Liriano and two top 10 prospects in the organization and want Drew Hutchinson.  NH is selling Drew like our former GM sold us on the Great Bobby Hill.  Hutchinson sucks.  The only reason he had a gaudy record two years ago was because Toronto scored 50,000 runs in his outings.  That was nothing more than a salary dump.  Toronto gave up its seventh or eighth starter that had no future in Toronto.  Do they do that without the prospects, straight up Liriano and his price tag for Hutchinson?  I think not.  You continue to support this FO in questionable deals.  This one was horrid and no one can defend it.  Call a spade a spade.  It's a logical salary dump and adding the two prospects was the hook for Toronto.

My point is that no matter what he said, you won't believe him. I can see how it went down. If you want McGuire, you have to take Liriano too. I don't think that is so outrageous. The deal was from strength.

I might not agree with the haul, but I can understand the move. I feel there were many other worse moves, but this one comes up because it is said to be a salary dump. Yet, so many players have been extended and added.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: Yep he is a major disappointment so far. Don't wanna give up on him yet but to think this guy was such a stud in the Minor Leagues and seeing how bad he has looked up here so far is a bit concerning.  Tell dave3ba that this front office was right and us fans are a bunch of morons since that's all this clown likes to do when he does posts on here.

Here are some examples:

You can't justify sending Liriano and two top 10 prospects in the organization and want Drew Hutchinson.  NH is selling Drew like our former GM sold us on the Great Bobby Hill.  Hutchinson sucks.  The only reason he had a gaudy record two years ago was because Toronto scored 50,000 runs in his outings.  That was nothing more than a salary dump.  Toronto gave up its seventh or eighth starter that had no future in Toronto.  Do they do that without the prospects, straight up Liriano and his price tag for Hutchinson?  I think not.  You continue to support this FO in questionable deals.  This one was horrid and no one can defend it.  Call a spade a spade.  It's a logical salary dump and adding the two prospects was the hook for Toronto.

My point is that no matter what he said, you won't believe him. I can see how it went down. If you want McGuire, you have to take Liriano too. I don't think that is so outrageous. The deal was from strength.

I might not agree with the haul, but I can understand the move. I feel there were many other worse moves, but this one comes up because it is said to be a salary dump. Yet, so many players have been extended and added.

I really can't take GM's at their word. They can try to sell, but I don't buy. This one is pretty single to not believe. It was a salary dump. I understand the move. Liriano pitched like garbage; didn't seem to care absent his at bats (greatly improved) and was making a ton next year. He needed to be moved. However, don't sell me it wasn't a salary dump when you send two prospects along with Liriano for an equally bad, but younger and cheaper pitcher who wouldn't come close to cracking the starting rotation of a good team.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Dog- I'm willing to admit that Pirate management had insights into Glasnow that fans didn't. That NH was right in saying Glasnow, and before him Polanco weren't ready when fans clamored for them.

But are you willing to concede that Nutting's statement regarding spending money "when the time is right" is utter hogwash? It is you know. How do I know? I know because the Pirates' organization ranks 18th and 9th in revenue and operating income respectively, and they have a payroll that ranks 25th. They are coming off a 98 win season and yet did not spend enough on payroll to adequately compete for a playoff spot this year. If they were willing to spend money on payroll simply in line with their revenue they'd have been able to acquire talent to their starting rotation that would have given them more than Jon Niese. Of course most fans don't believe Nutting. Why should we? If he wasn't going to loosen the purse strings after a 98 win season to try to win a championship when will he ever think that the time is right? When do you think the time will be right?
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

4D6A7B7F7A67586C7B7A7A671E0 wrote: Yep he is a major disappointment so far. Don't wanna give up on him yet but to think this guy was such a stud in the Minor Leagues and seeing how bad he has looked up here so far is a bit concerning.  Tell dave3ba that this front office was right and us fans are a bunch of morons since that's all this clown likes to do when he does posts on here.

Actually, I think you've got me mixed up with someone else. Look through my past posts, I'm not one constantly touting the owner/front office/management. In general, though, I tend to think fans shouldn't berate people who are making decisions with more knowledge than they do. Not because it isn't their right, you have every right to say whatever things you ant to say. It's because, more often than not, the fan is the one who's wrong, not the person being paid to make that decision.

I had seen Glasnow a few times (in AA) and I am a believer in him. But he is not a finished product, and will not be helping the Pirates this year, and probably not until late next season. The thing is, there are lots of people that have seen Glasnow and share my opinion. The people who wanted him up in Pittsburgh in May are generally the ones who hadn't seen what was going on and just looked at some statistics.

If you look back, you'll see I didn't want Glasnow up because he had too much to work on, so my comment was rooted in that. Not because management was correct. Though, in this case, they were.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6347535B5E320 wrote:

Dog- I'm willing to admit that Pirate management had insights into Glasnow that fans didn't. That NH was right in saying Glasnow, and before him Polanco weren't ready when fans clamored for them.

But are you willing to concede that Nutting's statement regarding spending money "when the time is right" is utter hogwash? It is you know. How do I know? I know because the Pirates' organization ranks 18th and 9th in revenue and operating income respectively, and they have a payroll that ranks 25th. They are coming off a 98 win season and yet did not spend enough on payroll to adequately compete for a playoff spot this year. If they were willing to spend money on payroll simply in line with their revenue they'd have been able to acquire talent to their starting rotation that would have given them more than Jon Niese. Of course most fans don't believe Nutting. Why should we? If he wasn't going to loosen the purse strings after a 98 win season to try to win a championship when will he ever think that the time is right? When do you think the time will be right? 

This is spot on. When the time is right is when you have gotten to the wild card game three years in a row - the last two you can't seem to find a way to advance. The organization needed to capitalize on the momentum and build upon it, not be cheap and bring in reclamation projects. Again, not saying go full Cubs, or Yanks or Boston and spend a trillion dollars. However, all the money the organization has made, they could have spent something on a good pitcher, not a controllable one in Niese.