Wildwoodcoach

Re: Official Game Thread - 9/17 - Bucs @ Cards

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Thank you young man. That certainly makes sense. Pirates have Brewers and
Yankees to finish out the season. They probably won't be resting people
Doc

Post by Doc »

Watching video of Nick Yorke from last night, his approach and swing remind me of Nick Gonzales. I’ll take those two, and IK-F, supporting three big guys like Reynolds, Cruz, and one or two other power hitters. Throw in Bart and now we have the makings of a legit, lengthier line-up that can take pressure off of the young starting pitchers.

Of course, we won’t see the addition of the power hitters. I’m just talking out of my butt.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

We don't even have Neal Huntington kind of power, remember when he was defending not having a HR hitter or two by saying "doubles count as power".

Pirates are 26th in doubles and HR's. They're tied for 21st in triples. They're 22nd in overall hits. Strike up the band though, they're 18th in walks!! Never mind, put the band away, they're 5th in strikeouts, the only category offensively they even remotely come close to being an elite club. Actually their best offensive category is they have the fewest caught stealings in the NL, and 2nd fewest in all of baseball.

So to sum it up: They don't hit the ball at all, yet despite all the work to drive up pitch counts and such, they don't draw any walks, instead just take more pitches to strike out apparently. However, when they do get on base, and on the rare occasion try and run, they're actually astronomically successful.

Which begs the other question (and something both Dan Zangrilli and Greg Brown and some of the analysts have all been banging a drum about all season) Why aren't they running more?

I guess it's the offensive answer to the lineup. Don't do something well, because you won't be doing it again tomorrow night.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:36 pm We don't even have Neal Huntington kind of power, remember when he was defending not having a HR hitter or two by saying "doubles count as power".

Pirates are 26th in doubles and HR's. They're tied for 21st in triples. They're 22nd in overall hits. Strike up the band though, they're 18th in walks!! Never mind, put the band away, they're 5th in strikeouts, the only category offensively they even remotely come close to being an elite club. Actually their best offensive category is they have the fewest caught stealings in the NL, and 2nd fewest in all of baseball.

So to sum it up: They don't hit the ball at all, yet despite all the work to drive up pitch counts and such, they don't draw any walks, instead just take more pitches to strike out apparently. However, when they do get on base, and on the rare occasion try and run, they're actually astronomically successful.

Which begs the other question (and something both Dan Zangrilli and Greg Brown and some of the analysts have all been banging a drum about all season) Why aren't they running more?

I guess it's the offensive answer to the lineup. Don't do something well, because you won't be doing it again tomorrow night.
Also, the Pirates are 26th in team OBP but 6th in most runners LOB. So despite being one of the worst teams for getting runners on base, they have one of the highest volumes of runners left on base. That means they rarely squander the chance to strand a runner.
There's no basement in the Alamo.