Poll - would you support a lockout?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The CBA creates an opportunity to create a salary cap. But the players will never give it away. would you be willing to lose a season in a lockout fighting for a cap (with no guarantee of the final outcome)?

A lock out could kill baseball. The unrelenting escalation of salaries has the potential to kill the game as we know it in the long term.

Lock-in the status quo with a new CBA? Or,

Lock-out the players and lose a season fighting for a cap?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I could be mistaken but I don't think a cap is even what they're fighting over.
rucker59@gmail.com

65575B5B4F7D5E575A5F5057360 wrote: I could be mistaken but I don't think a cap is even what they're fighting over. 

Right, it's not even on the table to my knowledge. But a cap would = lockout. Good or bad?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If it meant cap (or some similar mechanism) then MOST DEFINITELY. :)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

saw on another board an idea that may be worth fighting for and that is more sharing of local revenue.

I think if a cap was established it would be so high that it wouldn't make a difference. It would probably not be lower than the current top payrolls and have some sort of escalator clause if more money is brought in through a new TV deal etc.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Is a bottom cap being discussed?

This can be good and bad. It will force owners to spend money, but will it be smart money or spending to just to spend?

It will keep cheap Owners out of baseball too. They will know the expectations before they own a team.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

517776617767140 wrote: saw on another board an idea that may be worth fighting for and that is more sharing of local revenue.

I think if a cap was established it would be so high that it wouldn't make a difference.  It would probably not be lower than the current top payrolls and have some sort of escalator clause if more money is brought in through a new TV deal etc.

Yeah if they shared TV revenues it seems like much of the problem would take care of itself. In theory it seems to me like the MLBPA would be okay with it if it's the same amount of money just spread out more.

Won't happen of course, because the powers that be don't care about the Flyover States.
Arrowreb

Post by Arrowreb »

I'd give up pro baseball for a year or two if the following could result:

1) TV revenues would be cut in half or even 75% lower

2) Ticket prices would be cut in half

3) Player salaries would be be capped at no more than 3 or 4 million per year

4) Team payrolls capped at less than $100 million annually

5) Players could only declare free agency one time in their career.

6) International draft implemented for ALL players (even Cubans and Asain players)

7)....probably other things

I want to go back to baseball before the Donald Fehr's took over, before TV oferred Billion dollar deals, before players left or were dealt for economic reasons before their 5th or 6th year.

I want to go back to the days when the Pirates could compete on a even economic field.... I;m just getting old I suppose. >:(
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7E4D4D50484D5A5D3F0 wrote: I'd give up pro baseball for a year or two if the following could result:

6) International draft implemented for ALL players (even Cubans and Asain players)

I want to go back to baseball before the Donald Fehr's took over, before TV oferred Billion dollar deals, before players left or were dealt for economic reasons before their 5th or 6th year. 

I want to go back to the days when the Pirates could compete on a even economic field....  I;m just getting old I suppose. >:(

Welcome to the forums Arrowreb!
rucker59@gmail.com

1023233E26233433510 wrote: I'd give up pro baseball for a year or two if the following could result:

I want to go back to the days when the Pirates could compete on a even economic field....  I;m just getting old I suppose. >:(

Should of made you commissioner of baseball!