Thoughts on Diaz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ScottinMass

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by ScottinMass »

I think the Pirates are now giving him a good look, not sure what to think. The bat does not seem to be playing well (he does have more pop that Stewart for sure), but combined between Pirates and Indy he has not hit for power or production (.228 BA combined with 3 HR, 44 RBI in 356 AB's).

On defense, at the ML level, he has thrown out 3 of 15 (20%) base stealers, has 3 PB's and 4 errors in 41 games. Prorated to an entire season, that does not seem real good.

I like him and I think he will develop more, but I guess I was just expecting more.
DemDog

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by DemDog »

He will be #2 next season cause he is cheaper than Stewart! ::)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He is still earning his back up role for next year. But he isn't close in replacing Cervelli like many have thought or hoped.
dmetz

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by dmetz »

Hopefully it's just sample size issues.  He has to be ready next year   he will be 28.   How can we not develop a single major league catcher since Ryan Doumit?

How many catchers need to be drafted before one gets to the big league and produces at league average levels?

Cervelli can't stay on the field and Stewart sucks. If Diaz sucks too, we are in trouble again with no hope in sight.
mouse

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by mouse »

Stallings seems to keep chugging along, but this is a problem. If Diaz were the catcher of the future he would have pushed his way into the lineup by now.
johnfluharty

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by johnfluharty »

383A202630550 wrote: Stallings seems to keep chugging along, but this is a problem. If Diaz were the catcher of the future he would have pushed his way into the lineup by now.

I am inclined to agree with you. Diaz reached AAA in 2014 for a few at bats and spent all of 2015 there. Regardless of his injuries in 2016, I don't think Cervelli would have been signed to a 3-year deal if the FO was sold on Diaz as the future backstop in Pittsburgh.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Thoughts on Diaz

It just hasn't been an issue. The Pirates signed Martin and then signed Cervelli. They have a major league catcher from 2013 to 2019. That is six years of quality catching (we hope).

Catcher is one of those positions that rarely have young guys as back ups. Teams feel they should play and catch every day in the minors then get a few starts a week in the majors.

Diaz is getting old, but he wasn't going to replace Martin or Cervelli. He is destined for a back up role with the Pirates. He will be 31 when Cervelli's contract is over if he is still around with the Pirates. Stewart was 29 when he finally got some playing time in the majors as a back up when Posey got hurt.
dmetz

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by dmetz »

Cervelli is mad of glass.  It's an issue.  He's not a quality ML catcher because he's always hurt.   He will have two consecutive years with less than 400 plate appearances.   

1.6 WAR last year

0.9 War this year

Yeah baby. "Quality"

So what now? 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Thoughts on Diaz

4E474F5E502A0 wrote: Cervelli is mad of glass.  It's an issue.  He's not a quality ML catcher because he's always hurt.   He will have two consecutive years with less than 400 plate appearances.   

1.6 WAR last year

0.9 War this year

Yeah baby.  "Quality"

So what now? 

Diaz is -0.2 in WAR.

Cervelli gets dinged up more than any catcher I have ever seen. Not sure why he takes so many foul tips off his body compared to others. He still should play over Diaz.
SammyKhalifa

Thoughts on Diaz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: Cervelli is mad of glass.  It's an issue.  He's not a quality ML catcher because he's always hurt.   He will have two consecutive years with less than 400 plate appearances.   

1.6 WAR last year

0.9 War this year

Yeah baby.  "Quality"

So what now? 

Diaz is -0.2 in WAR.

Cervelli gets dinged up more than any catcher I have ever seen.  Not sure why he takes so many foul tips off his body compared to others.  He still should play over Diaz.

Even before the injuries, I noticed that he seemed to be taking one in [a sensitive area] about every third or fourth game. Tough way to earn a living!