Royals' payroll surpassed $130M....

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

102D333E313B30123A2D3C3A3B5F0 wrote: Payroll constraint isn't the only constraint that a ML team has to manage.  I agree that $8M is chump change for a major league player.  The Pirates have had a close look at Hammel the last few years, and the Cubs knew him even better and decided he wasn't worth keeping for 12M, and the Cubs have depth issues with the rotation.  So it's not that the Pirates aren't willing to pay that money for a back end starter, they aren't willing to pay that specific guy that money.

The Pirates should have signed Mat Latos last year.

How many people wanted Latos and the Pirates were right. Latos was a lot cheaper too.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

454E464A4F4E551016615840494E4E0F424E210 wrote: Payroll constraint isn't the only constraint that a ML team has to manage.  I agree that $8M is chump change for a major league player.  The Pirates have had a close look at Hammel the last few years, and the Cubs knew him even better and decided he wasn't worth keeping for 12M, and the Cubs have depth issues with the rotation.  So it's not that the Pirates aren't willing to pay that money for a back end starter, they aren't willing to pay that specific guy that money.

How many people wanted Latos and the Pirates were right.  Latos was a lot cheaper too.

If you let all the good arms pass you eventually wind up with damaged goods. Then you can say we don't want damaged goods at any price. Next thing you know you got a great model to not sign anyone.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4E495F57594E09057C5B515D5550125F53513C0 wrote: Payroll constraint isn't the only constraint that a ML team has to manage.  I agree that $8M is chump change for a major league player.  The Pirates have had a close look at Hammel the last few years, and the Cubs knew him even better and decided he wasn't worth keeping for 12M, and the Cubs have depth issues with the rotation.  So it's not that the Pirates aren't willing to pay that money for a back end starter, they aren't willing to pay that specific guy that money.

How many people wanted Latos and the Pirates were right.  Latos was a lot cheaper too.

If you let all the good arms pass you eventually wind up with damaged goods.  Then you can say we don't want damaged goods at any price.  Next thing you know you got a great model to not sign anyone. 

Hamel isn't the issue, he is just an example. It is up to Bucs management to sign or trade for right guy. If the Buds falter this year because of pitching the blame is on management. On the other hand if pitching turns out to be strong then management deserves kudos for evaluating talent and not bowing to fan pressure
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/sp

I guess I just don't agree that there were options on this list that made a ton of sense to pay. Most of these guys are just options that you would throw into the bucket with Brault, Glasnow, Kingham and Williams at ST. So what happens is that you pay a guy like Cashner, and no matter what version of that player shows up in ST, he's starting.

I have no problem opening this job up to competition, with the signing of Nova it could easily be just the one rotation spot that is problematic. Granted, this puts a lot of eggs in the Taillon, Cole, Nova basket, but unfortunately if those three aren't taking regular turns in the rotation, the team is screwed anyway.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5568767B747E75577F68797F7E1A0 wrote: http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/sp

I guess I just don't agree that there were options on this list that made a ton of sense to pay. 

Bartolo Colon.  Good for 190-200 innings, decent numbers, only wanted one year 12MM, track record older than the moon so you know exactly what you're getting.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

0439272A252F24062E39282E2F4B0 wrote: http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/sp

I guess I just don't agree that there were options on this list that made a ton of sense to pay.  Most of these guys are just options that you would throw into the bucket with Brault, Glasnow, Kingham and Williams at ST.  So what happens is that you pay a guy like Cashner, and no matter what version of that player shows up in ST, he's starting. 

I have no problem opening this job up to competition, with the signing of Nova it could easily be just the one rotation spot that is problematic.  Granted, this puts a lot of eggs in the Taillon, Cole, Nova basket, but unfortunately if those three aren't taking regular turns in the rotation, the team is screwed anyway.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Hammel has been pretty good in recent years. Last year 15-10 166.2 inning, 1.21 WHIP and 3.83 ERA. Is it a risk no doubt, but he is at least a serviceable #4, with potential for much f the next 2 years.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

232239283E7E794D0 wrote: http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents/_/position/sp

I guess I just don't agree that there were options on this list that made a ton of sense to pay.  Most of these guys are just options that you would throw into the bucket with Brault, Glasnow, Kingham and Williams at ST.  So what happens is that you pay a guy like Cashner, and no matter what version of that player shows up in ST, he's starting. 

I have no problem opening this job up to competition, with the signing of Nova it could easily be just the one rotation spot that is problematic.  Granted, this puts a lot of eggs in the Taillon, Cole, Nova basket, but unfortunately if those three aren't taking regular turns in the rotation, the team is screwed anyway.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Hammel has been pretty good in recent years. Last year 15-10 166.2 inning, 1.21 WHIP and 3.83 ERA. Is it a risk no doubt, but he is at least a serviceable #4, with potential for much f the next 2 years.

right.  I get the concern for an injury.  But I don't get the idea that a healthy Hammel wouldn't help this team.  Maybe if the $8M was being used other places I would say "that makes more sense".  But this is money that is simply not going to be spent for any use, even though it's available (as KC is clearly demonstrating).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Every team still weighs out the worth of the player, not just the Pirates. Is Hammel worth $7.5 ($15 million two years) more than Kuhl, Brault? $5.5 million ($11 million) more than Hutchison? Throw in Glasnow too.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

What is the current value attached to WAR? I would venture that yes he is.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

525348594F0F083C0 wrote: What is the current value attached to WAR? I would venture that yes he is.

I am not a fan of WAR, so I don't know. David Ortiz being ranked 36th in WAR after his 2016 season is the reason why. WAR is an estimation.