Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by SCBucco »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: Let's sign Pedro Alvarez and cut John Jaso.

Jaso can only play one position.  Pedro can't really play any.  But with Freese, they don't need to play the field.  Pedro's bat off the bench would be much, much better than Jaso. 

How about if the organization just go out and get a true first baseman - one that plays the position well instead of some like like Pedro. We haven't had a true first baseman since Kevin Young. Let that sink in. Pedro is not the answer. We have seen this movie before and it was bad.
SCBucco

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by SCBucco »

624948554E564F635442424E210 wrote: if you do a search of top slugging % for players with a min of 300 ab's here are the guys worth mentioning in this thread, that were top 50

31. Kang

33. Sean Rodriguez

43. Pedro

49. Chris Carter

now if the Pirates were crazy enough to do what post 1 lays out....

maybe they would have shelled out the cash for Sean Rodriguez and the versatility in the field he brings......

right?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_ ... /minpa/300

Carter makes more sense than Pedro. At least he is a first baseman by trade, not a lousy convert.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

05151423353539560 wrote: Let's sign Pedro Alvarez and cut John Jaso.

Jaso can only play one position.  Pedro can't really play any.  But with Freese, they don't need to play the field.  Pedro's bat off the bench would be much, much better than Jaso. 

How about if the organization just go out and get a true first baseman - one that plays the position well instead of some like like Pedro.  We haven't had a true first baseman since Kevin Young.  Let that sink in.  Pedro is not the answer.  We have seen this movie before and it was bad.

I am wanting a bench player. I don't think Jaso is that player. Bell will be the every day first baseman. Freese will back him up. That leaves Jaso. Jaso isn't very versatile either. he might play some outfield and thirdbase this year, but he never has played those positions.

The bench needs help. I would love Chris Carter. The Pirates did try to sign Rodriguez, but he went to a team where he can start.
dmetz

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by dmetz »

1101003721212D420 wrote: if you do a search of top slugging % for players with a min of 300 ab's here are the guys worth mentioning in this thread, that were top 50

31. Kang

33. Sean Rodriguez

43. Pedro

49. Chris Carter

now if the Pirates were crazy enough to do what post 1 lays out....

maybe they would have shelled out the cash for Sean Rodriguez and the versatility in the field he brings......

right?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_ ... /minpa/300

Carter makes more sense than Pedro.  At least he is a first baseman by trade, not a lousy convert.

Carter is significantly better defensively but still not good. We need to stop wasting time with these guys as starters. Neither Carter nor Pedro have any positional flexibility but neither does John Jaso.

I think Jaso's style of hitting would be much preferred over either of those two as a pinch hitter.
SammyKhalifa

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by SammyKhalifa »

My guess is that if anyone bumped Jaso out it would be a natural 1B who can also play OF, if such a thing is out there. It seems like those spots are the ones where there aren't as many options on the 25 man.

I'm just one that thinks you should cover your bases (pun INTENDED, haha).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: My guess is that if anyone bumped Jaso out it would be a natural 1B who can also play OF, if such a thing is out there.  It seems like those spots are the ones where there aren't as many options on the 25 man. 

I'm just one that thinks you should cover your bases (pun INTENDED, haha). 

I agree. That would be ideal. (Carter has played some LF.)

If they have a one trick pony in Jaso, why not get a better one trick pony? That's my thinking.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Chris Carter signed with the Yankees for $3 million.

Thats less than Jaso.
Ecbucs

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by Ecbucs »

The Buds have to pay Jason unless they trade him. Doesn't look like there is any market for him. Got to hope he performs at least a little better than last year. He and Freesecwill be best bench bats going into spring training
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Napoli signed a one year deal with the Rangers. I didn't hear the terms.

I still want a better bench.
Leyland1948

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by Leyland1948 »

8.5M for one year.