For 2018 The Bucs Need A Lefty Starting Pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If Kang comes back, he can make a huge difference. A full season of Marte will be huge too. If not, they need to upgrade 3B so Freese can be used as a main bench player. The bench needs help too even though I think Moroff and Diaz can hold their own. A healthy Polanco should help. Polanco is starting to hit his prime years and had a very solid 2016.

Sure, there are some "ifs", but I do feel most of the line up is in place. The 2015 and 2016 teams were in the top half in offense. There is no reason why they can't get back to that next year. The offense has been pretty bad this year, but they also missed a few starters and got rid of a bunch of guys who didn't produce.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Well --- if Kang returns, and none of the starters are traded, the bench likely would be comprised of players who are now with the team, including:

Freese

Rodriguez

Frazier

one among Luplow, Moroff or Osuna

Diaz

Total salary commitments to the above would be about $14 mil. I believe that this would be a strong bench, and that many of the players have some versatility.

Bucs likely need to deal one or more starting position players this off-season to try and inject more talent on the team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Bullpen is where the investments should be for next year.

RichD

Post by RichD »

Trade Marte /Cutch and Polanco . These guys do not work in unison. This will be the 2nd year under .500. The offense does not scare anybody. Those guys should be trying to out do each other some fun competion to be the man, big stats .Nope those guys are duds .Cutch wont reach 100 rbi again this year . 280 /25 / 85 rbi is a nice stat line but just a solid complimentary piece. We need 5 of those types at least.

Bell is the future, Luplow looks good just let him get bats. JHAY is a keeper.Minors down, not much for OF except the injury prone Meadows.. I would try to work a trade for Clint Frazier , maybe Cole would do it. You could put the whole lineup in the crapper .

Moroff needs to swing the dang bat .Stop looking for walks cuz you aint gonna get them as a young guy. Down the road yes.

3b slugger is needed. I dont care if you are 30 and been playing in Mexico.We need to look at all types.

We do need a lefty SP.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

5D565E5257564D080E794058515656175A56390 wrote: The Bullpen is where the investments should be for next year.

I'm sorry dog, but I find that crazy. There no chance that only improving this bullpen, which statistically is coming in towards the middle of the NL, is going to make us a 90 win team.

Exactly what I mean when I say youre just aiming far, far too low.

But if the bar is set low enough, I guess it will always be a "success"
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

073539392D1F3C35383D3235540 wrote: If we head into 2018 with the same rotation as this year, we better figure out how to score alot more runs with essentially the same lineup, because theres unlikely to be a big change to the lineup unless we end up trading Cutch.

People are sliding right back into the loser mentality of setting the bar far too low.  That nonsense went on for a couple of decades not long ago.

Building a .500 team isn't a goal worth having.

1 SP

1 3B (or 2B and slide over Harrison)

1 OF (though not necessarily a starter)

That's my wish list. 

I'm in.  That's a well rounded target list.  Combined with a full year of Marte and improvements from our young guys...tempered with likely rotation injuries which largely avoided this year....you've got something there.  I'm in
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

043F353E12560 wrote: Trade Marte /Cutch and Polanco . These guys do not work in unison. This will be the 2nd year under .500. The offense does not scare anybody. Those guys should be trying to out do each other some fun competion to be the man, big stats .Nope those guys are duds .Cutch wont reach 100 rbi again this year . 280 /25 / 85 rbi is a nice stat line but just a solid complimentary piece. We need 5 of those types at least.

Bell is the future, Luplow looks good just let him get bats. JHAY is a keeper.Minors down, not much for OF except the injury prone Meadows.. I would try to work a trade for Clint Frazier , maybe Cole would do it. You could put the whole lineup in the crapper .

Moroff needs to swing the dang bat .Stop looking for walks cuz you aint gonna get them as a young guy. Down the road yes.

3b slugger is needed. I dont care if you are 30 and been playing in Mexico.We need to look at all types.

We do need a lefty SP.

Ding ding ding.

We don't need 1 of this and 1 of that.  We need an overhaul that clears out guys holding down jobs based on some expectation that is not meeting reality. I think we still have people who are afraid to move a part because of what we HOPE the player will be. We wind up with no or little value. 

This Best Outfield In Baseball has been the single biggest reason this team has struggled the past two seasons.  They were "anointed" with the term "great" but they haven't even been average. The Pirates should have seen last winter (at least that's when I started advocating for a trade of one or more of the three) that there's more hype then there is actual talent.  Any one of them could have brought a king's ransom. 

Not now. Little value left. That means WE'RE stuck with these under preforming critical positions until they get too expensive at which time they'll literally be given away.

Missing on TBOIB and on Cole has been costly beyond compare.  For a small mkt team that refuses to spend ANY money, we wind up with some AAAA type of team. 

We've got a few good pieces.  But we're a long way from a WS team. We don't need 1 of this and that, we need to rebuild the OF, a new 3rd, at least 1 quality starter, a rebuilt pen, and a rebuilt bench. We have to do all of this because NOTHING has been done the past couple years....except hang on to players and watch them depreciate in value. 

They can try to create magic in the bottle (again) or they can burn it all down and look to the future, but they can't think THIS team is just a piece of two away.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

What is the point of clearing everyone out and rebuilding?   

You could rebuild 100 times and maybe end up with this young, this talented and this cheap of a team once or twice.

We aren't allowed to sign real meaningful free agents and we aren't allowed to trade prospects for ML talent.   That has to.change or there's no point in caring.

WE MUST ADD.   We've needed to add for 2 years now.  The first step is seeing the commitment from the FO and ownership to win.   They need to add.   If we lose, we lose.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

656C64757B010 wrote: What is the point of clearing everyone out and rebuilding?   

You could rebuild 100 times and maybe end up with this young, this talented and this cheap of a team once or twice.

We aren't allowed to sign real meaningful free agents and we aren't allowed to trade prospects for ML talent.   That has to.change or there's no point in caring.

WE MUST ADD.   We've needed to add for 2 years now.  The first step is seeing the commitment from the FO and ownership to win.   They need to add.   If we lose, we lose.

This is exactly my concern. What's the point of rebuilding when the goal is to endure the growing pains while you develop a few productive players who can be traded for another rebuilding plan?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

48414958562C0 wrote: What is the point of clearing everyone out and rebuilding?   

agree, not adding after 2015 and 2016 certainly hasn't worked. I am preparing myself for no additions this off season though. It's just not in NH's dna.