For 2018 The Bucs Need A Lefty Starting Pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In my opinion the Pirates need a left handed starting pitcher to compete in 2018. Brault may fill that need ,but so far his performance last year and this year at the MLB level has not been convincing to me. I am going to assume that if they acquire a lefty it will be by a trade, because a free agent pitcher will carry a large price tag. I think we are going to see some moves this offseason which will surprise us. I think our outfield in 2018 will be much different than the one that opened the season this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The rotation looks set to me. I don't know what they will do in that department. Of course, an upgrade can be made from Kuhl. He is probably the worse going forward based on results.

I can see Luplow part of the future with the way he rose through the minors this year. I am just not sure if he is better than Polanco. It wouldn't surprise me to see Polanco traded for a nice return.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Luplow wouldn't be bad on the team but I'd hope not as the starter.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Luplow and Frazier could platoon in the outfield. When you look back on the past three World Series Championships for the Bucs they had Skinner and Cimoli in 1960, they had Oliver and Clines in 1971 and Robinson and Milner in 1979. So a dream outfield may always not be the answer.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: Luplow and Frazier could platoon in the outfield. When you look back on the past three World Series Championships for the Bucs they had Skinner and Cimoli in 1960, they had Oliver and Clines in 1971 and Robinson and Milner in 1979. So a dream outfield may always not be the answer.
Actually, the OF platoon in 1960 was Cimoli and Virdon in CF until Virdon tool over full time in August. Skinner started 140 of 154 games in LF. Cimoli started 8. In CF, Cimoli started 54 and Virdon started 98.

As for 2018, I won't be surprised if Polanco is dealt but I don't see a big return. Other GMs know he's been a disappointment and is injury prone. If they trade for a LH starter it would make sense to trade one of their RH starters. That and Polanco together might get a decent return but not a star LH pitcher. Besides, I don't think NH is allowed to trade for good players if they come with average salaries.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I agree. This team needs a great emphasis on good left-handed pitching. (And, for that matter, more left-handed power at the plate.)

I also don't know if Brault is the answer. But if this were a normal team (i.e., a team that spends $$$) I think they would go out this off-season and identify and acquire a legit LH starter.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Based on his performance as the season has progressed, I believe Kuhl and William should both be part of the starting rotation next year.

Not sure about Brault, but he should get regular starts through the end of the season to see how he performs.

While I love to see the Pirates win games, and I do not like when they lose, there are only 20+ games let in this season to see how folks perform at the major league level.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A565E595275425444370 wrote: Based on his performance as the season has progressed, I believe Kuhl and William should both be part of the starting rotation next year.

Not sure about Brault, but he should get regular starts through the end of the season to see how he performs.

While I love to see the Pirates win games, and I do not like when they lose, there are only 20+ games let in this season to see how folks perform at the major league level.

yes, if the team intends to compete next year, young players need to get their feet wet which should also help management decide what are most important gaps to fill for next season.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

If we head into 2018 with the same rotation as this year, we better figure out how to score alot more runs with essentially the same lineup, because theres unlikely to be a big change to the lineup unless we end up trading Cutch.

People are sliding right back into the loser mentality of setting the bar far too low.  That nonsense went on for a couple of decades not long ago.

Building a .500 team isn't a goal worth having.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

616860717F050 wrote: If we head into 2018 with the same rotation as this year, we better figure out how to score alot more runs with essentially the same lineup, because theres unlikely to be a big change to the lineup unless we end up trading Cutch.

People are sliding right back into the loser mentality of setting the bar far too low.  That nonsense went on for a couple of decades not long ago.

Building a .500 team isn't a goal worth having.

1 SP

1 3B (or 2B and slide over Harrison)

1 OF (though not necessarily a starter)

That's my wish list.