Orioles vs Pirates - Last Home Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I didn't take it that way. I just think there are degrees of success, and that it's not quite that binary. The Pirates were successful in 2015 but not as successful as The Mets and even less successful than the Royals. They were more successful than the Reds though. The Mets didn't have the same amount of success as the Phillies that year just because they both failed to win the WS. One team was a success and the other was a colossal failure
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

60525E5E4A785B525F5A5552330 wrote: I didn't take it that way.  I just think there are degrees of success, and that it's not quite that binary.  The Pirates were successful in 2015 but not as successful as The Mets and even less successful than the Royals.  They were more successful than the Reds though.  The Mets didn't have the same amount of success as the Phillies that year just because they both failed to win the WS.  One team was a success and the other was a colossal failure

Se that! An old puppy like me can still be taught old tricks. Never too young to learn something. I never thought of success like you explained in this situation occurring in baseball. But even success as you state it is still a good bit subjective. But a lot of things in life are just that.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A5B537A51593E0 wrote: If the only measure of success is whether you're the very best in the world, there are a lot of miserable, failures of human beings out there. 

I agree with you Sammy as far as the real world goes.  I have worked in the past with many mentally and physically handicapped individuals and have seen them do things that you and I would have no problem doing.  When that person giving his/her best effort accomplishes something even something that we see being easy it is indeed a success in their lives.  I can still see a lady who did some athletic things not too well but she gave her all and got a Gold Medal at Special Olympics. 

What we are talking about here are not those who are challenged but about pro athletes who are some of the best conditioned and coached people in the world and who are supposed to give their best even when they are sleeping.  I consider those folks to be successful when they or their team are the best in the world at what they do.

Now that I have ranted I do not want to belittle you for your statement but wanted to clarify where I was coming from when I talk about the Buccos success.

Want to highlight [highlight]supposed to give your best[/highlight] I think the players are trying their best. I don't believe management is. I think Sammy makes a good point but would add I want to feel like my team is trying 100% to win a championship. Can be disappointed when it fails but that is not going to make me miserable. Not trying 100% is frustrating.