4/16 game: Can they sweep?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

33010D0D192B08010C090601600 wrote: In the minors Frazier was a high average hitter with no power. He had 3 HRs in 1,354 ABs. As a Pirate he has 3 HRs in 181 ABs. Doesn't appear to be a fluke since he hits the ball hard. Maybe he's just getting stronger at age 25. I think he can be a guy who hits 12-15 a year if he played everyday. And he's forcing their hand to play him. It's clearly a better offense when he's in it. Defensively, I dunno. It was nice to have S-Rod play well defensively wherever they put him. But Frazier is not strong defensively at the various positions they want him to play. But they need his bat in the lineup.   

The thing that always comes to mind is just how poorly we did with our OBN prospect poll placings for him.   ::)

Which is precisely why the Pirates don't rely on us for their prospect rankings.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Frazier is why I don't like Bell (and others before him) being removed. Frazier isn't a good defender, but his bat needs to be in the line up. He did miss a diving catch (not routine), but his bat was more mightier than the that play in LF. Its a lot harder to hit a baseball than catch a baseball. Play the bats.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

To be fair, as much as I like him it's not like Bell's hitting right now anyway.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4B666B7A7D6C7B3B38090 wrote: In the minors Frazier was a high average hitter with no power. He had 3 HRs in 1,354 ABs. As a Pirate he has 3 HRs in 181 ABs. Doesn't appear to be a fluke since he hits the ball hard. Maybe he's just getting stronger at age 25. I think he can be a guy who hits 12-15 a year if he played everyday. And he's forcing their hand to play him. It's clearly a better offense when he's in it. Defensively, I dunno. It was nice to have S-Rod play well defensively wherever they put him. But Frazier is not strong defensively at the various positions they want him to play. But they need his bat in the lineup.   

The thing that always comes to mind is just how poorly we did with our OBN prospect poll placings for him.   ::)

Which is precisely why the Pirates don't rely on us for their prospect rankings.

Haha, well some day that will turn out to be a mistake.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

00323E3E2A183B323F3A3532530 wrote: To be fair, as much as I like him it's not like Bell's hitting right now anyway.

Jaso is batting .000 (zero).
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Not disagreeing with you just mentioning that the "if you hit you play" thing isn't working for Bell right now.  Still . . . while I liked the defensive replacement idea in past seasons, I don't think it really applies as well this year because it's not like Jaso's a wiz with the glove over there either. 

I suppose it's a way to keep Jaso active (who is not going to keep on with no batting average--it's not like he's looked that bad) and keep mileage down on Bell, so he's fresh at the end of the year like their new philosophy states; but I'm not sure I agree with it this time out.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Just to answer the thread title,

YES THEY CAN!

(said like Bob the Builder)
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote: Frazier is why I don't like Bell (and others before him) being removed.  Frazier isn't a good defender, but his bat needs to be in the line up.  He did miss a diving catch (not routine), but his bat was more mightier than the that play in LF.  Its a lot harder to hit a baseball than catch a baseball.  Play the bats.

The fly ball Frazier made a diving attempt on was misplayed on his break. Should have been in position for an easy catch.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think Jaso drew two walks yesterday at important times. Doesn't show in his average but a contribution none the less.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I noticed that he has somehow scored three runs this year.