The Starting Rotation Competition

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ThePirate

Post by ThePirate »

So, Cole-Taillon-Nova is already a sure thing (barring any setbacks).

There is a pretty obvious competition in place for the last two spots in the rotation.

The 4th spot probably belongs to Kuhl, but if he has a bad spring or anything like that, I'm not so sure he goes north with the team.

The competitors are Hutchison (had a great outing yesterday, pitching 3 shutout innings with 4 Ks), Glasnow (had an amazing first outing and a not so great one yesterday) and Brault and Williams as the long shot ones.

I would love Glasnow to win it. He obviously has the highest ceiling of the 4. However, it seems that he's still not steady enough.

Hutchison has a good spring so far but he hasn't started any games yet and pitched kinda late in games, when the other team usually send out their minor league guys.

What do you guys think? Discuss.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I am hoping Brault has an impressive spring and wins the No. 5 job because I think the rotation needs a left-hander. And obviously of course I hope Glasnow ultimately gets things figured out and becomes a No. 1 or No. 2 caliber starter -- hopefully much sooner than later. But for now, Brault.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

053934013823302534510 wrote: So, Cole-Taillon-Nova is already a sure thing (barring any setbacks).

There is a pretty obvious competition in place for the last two spots in the rotation.

The 4th spot probably belongs to Kuhl, but if he has a bad spring or anything like that, I'm not so sure he goes north with the team.

The competitors are Hutchison (had a great outing yesterday, pitching 3 shutout innings with 4 Ks), Glasnow (had an amazing first outing and a not so great one yesterday) and Brault and Williams as the long shot ones.

I would love Glasnow to win it. He obviously has the highest ceiling of the 4. However, it seems that he's still not steady enough.

Hutchison has a good spring so far but he hasn't started any games yet and pitched kinda late in games, when the other team usually send out their minor league guys.

What do you guys think? Discuss.
Hutchison's first game was not good. He gave up a HR and had 2 well hit drives run down in the OF for outs. His stats yesterday were good but it was not against the Orioles' regulars. Glasnow struggled yesterday but his previous outing of 6 Ks and a broken bat single vs 7 batters was against the Oriole starters. So IMHO, Hutchison has shown essentially nothing to get excited about and Glasnow remains inconsistent.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think I would prefer to see Glasnow get more AAA practice on the change-up, maybe in part because I would like to see that extra season from him. I think his game would benefit and the team itself would get an extra year at the end when he's likely to be coming into his prime years.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

52504A4C5A3F0 wrote: I think I would prefer to see Glasnow get more AAA practice on the change-up, maybe in part because I would like to see that extra season from him. I think his game would benefit and the team itself would get an extra year at the end when he's likely to be coming into his prime years.

I want them to use Glasnow in however they think it will help the big league team get the most wins this year.

If that means starting season in Pittsburgh then go for it.

notes34

Post by notes34 »

This situation is why I wanted someone signed or traded for. With a lineup set to compete, I am disappointed that they didn't bring in an established pitcher to compete for a spot. I don't care if it would've been someone like Quintana that would slot in at 2 or a Hammel type that would be a 4 pushing Kuhl to 5 and Glasnow back to AAA. Glasnow certainly has tools that get you excited but he's not ready. Brault , Hutchinson and Williams are AAAA. I want Glasnow at AAA figuring things out not at the MLB level.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Or we could have just not dumped Liriano.  Payroll be about $110 and have a good left handed option

Lot of different ways to do it. That would have been easiest
RichD

Post by RichD »

Maybe Glasnow kicks butt in spring training and the White Sox come down on what they want for Quintana.We really need a lefty. :)
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Everyone is writing about Glasnow,Hutchison,Williams and Brault attempting to become the number five starting pitcher. It is a long shot but we better not count out LeBlanc. He is a lefty and yesterday he pitched three innings. The Bucs said a few weeks ago they wanted to stretch him out during spring training. Maybe he breaks camp with them,and they give him a couple starts at the beginning of the year to see if he succeeds as a starting pitcher.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6965643F363F373A3D22380F0 wrote: Everyone is writing about Glasnow,Hutchison,Williams and Brault attempting to become the number five starting pitcher. It is a long shot but we better not count out LeBlanc. He is a lefty and yesterday he pitched three innings. The Bucs said a few weeks ago they wanted to stretch him out during spring training. Maybe he breaks camp with them,and they give him a couple starts at the beginning of the year to see if he succeeds as a starting pitcher.
I think that's possible if he blows everyone else away the way Nicasio did last year in ST. Barring that, I don't see LeBlanc starting.