2017 Bullpen

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Bullpen

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Watson is probably best in his set up role facing lefties. I feel he lost some of his fastball last year. I hope he can handle the pressure of the Closer role. If not, Rivero might take over.
Bobster21

2017 Bullpen

Post by Bobster21 »

Here are ST pitching stats for what they're worth.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/stats ... 0448208159

Webb hasn't been awful for a Rule 5 guy and I'm thinking they'll keep him. He would be a 4th LHP but 2 of those 4 (Rivero, Watson) are reserved for late innings. So they need a third and I'm guessing they will deal Bastardo at the earliest opportunity. So they could begin the season with 4 LHP in the pen and finish with 3 (either because they trade Bastardo or Webb is not useful enough to keep for long). But if they keep Webb they would be wise not to trade Bastardo until they see whether Webb can fill a useful role as the only LHP not reserved for late innings.

Nicasio and Hudson are locks for RHPs. That would mean 1 more RHP at least until they drop their 4th LHP. Hutchson would be a RHP long man if he doesn't start. If he does start, the 3rd RHP could be Trevor Williams who currently looks a lot better than either Schugel or Hughes. But it's difficult to see Nutting eating the 2.8 million he signed Hughes for.
IABucFan

2017 Bullpen

Post by IABucFan »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: But it's difficult to see Nutting eating the 2.8 million he signed Hughes for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a cut off date in ST where the team can DFA Hughes and not be on the hook for his salary? If there is, then I've got to believe that the days we see Hughes wearing black and gold are numbered. Kind of a shame, really, as Hughes is a great guy, and for awhile, he was very dependable when coming in with guys on base and you needed a ground ball.
johnfluharty

2017 Bullpen

Post by johnfluharty »

Doesn't work that way in baseball.
Ecbucs

2017 Bullpen

Post by Ecbucs »

Hughes can be cut with out paying his entire salary:

Players on arbitration contracts who are cut on or before the 16th day of Spring Training are owed 30 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). A player cut between the 16th day and the end of Spring Training is owed 45 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). The arbitration salary becomes guaranteed if the player is on the 25-man roster when the season begins.

A player on a split or Minor League contract will earn the prorated portion of his Major League salary for time spent on the Major League roster. Clubs can also sign players to non-guaranteed contracts but still place them on the 40-man roster. Those contracts become guaranteed upon the player making the Major League roster out of Spring Training, but he may also be cut prior to Opening Day. Such cases are identical to arbitration contracts in that the club would owe either 30 or 45 days' worth of termination pay, depending on the time at which the player is released.
Bobster21

2017 Bullpen

Post by Bobster21 »

012726312737440 wrote: Hughes can be cut with out paying his entire salary:

Players on arbitration contracts who are cut on or before the 16th day of Spring Training are owed 30 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). A player cut between the 16th day and the end of Spring Training is owed 45 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). The arbitration salary becomes guaranteed if the player is on the 25-man roster when the season begins.

A player on a split or Minor League contract will earn the prorated portion of his Major League salary for time spent on the Major League roster. Clubs can also sign players to non-guaranteed contracts but still place them on the 40-man roster. Those contracts become guaranteed upon the player making the Major League roster out of Spring Training, but he may also be cut prior to Opening Day. Such cases are identical to arbitration contracts in that the club would owe either 30 or 45 days' worth of termination pay, depending on the time at which the player is released.
In that case, I don't see any way Hughes comes north.