2017 Bullpen

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

2017 Bullpen

Post by IABucFan »

We have the thread on a the bench...figured I'd start one on the bullpen. I saw Neverauskas (or however you spell it) was cut today. I thought they might consider him over Hughes. Anyway, best guesses as to who makes up the bullpen?

I can't see whoever loses out on the #5 starter's spot being relegated to long relief. I've got to believe they'll want Glasnow or Hutchison or Brault or Williams being stretched out in Indy. So, my best guess:

Locks: Watson, Hudson, Rivero, Bastardo,

Probables: Nicasio, Schugel, Hughes

On the Bubble: LeBlanc, Light, Webb, Santana

Right now, I still have Hughes making the team over anybody "on the bubble." But, I think Santana is continuing to open some eyes. By my count, we've only got 39 players on the 40 man roster, so they could add him to the 40 man without losing anyone. But bullpen guys, probably more than anyone else, tend to benefit from not having any options left. What I mean is that Hughes is out of options, I think, and even though he hasn't been very good this spring, that fact alone gives him an edge over a guy like Santana, because you have to account for the fact that you aren't just building a team for April 3. You're building a team for August 15, when undoubtedly you'll have injuries, guys will pitch better or worse than expected...etc.

Thoughts? Today is my first slow day at work in about a month and a half, so I'm longing for April 3 to get here more than usual.
OrlandoMerced

2017 Bullpen

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Nicasio is a lock. Hughes' abysmal showing this spring puts a big question mark on those last two spots. Maybe Trevor Williams as as the long man? It definitely can't be Webb and Leblanc as the last two, that would mean five lefties in the BP.
IABucFan

2017 Bullpen

Post by IABucFan »

The other thing to keep in mind is that Webb is a rule 5 pick. I'd forgotten that. Might give him the inside edge over somebody else they can option, at least until they can DL him with a hang nail or something.
UtahPirate

2017 Bullpen

Post by UtahPirate »

I think if Hutchison has a good start today you can pencil him as #5. That pushes Brault back to AAA to work on a third pitch and maybe puts Williams in the BP mix (or not depending on his options).

Options will come into play in the final decision. I know LeBlanc doesn't have any, but I think he'll be sent down because we have too many lefties, and he's been the least impressive. Being another lefty might be an issue for Webb as well -- who goes back to the Yankees if he gets cut. There has been talk that Bastardo might get traded at the end of ST to make room for other arms. I can see that happening still.

Santana has not pitched much in AAA (and hasn't been in the organization that long either). He went through three levels last year so I think he'll get more seasoning at AAA, but I think we'll see him this year. That probably applies to Light who is new to the organization.

If Hughes mades the team I'll be really disappointed. Schugel was pretty consistent when he was up last year. He may have an inside edge for the final spot because he's a known commodity. Right now:

Locks: Watson, Hudson, Rivero, Bastardo, Nicasio

On the Bubble: Schugel, Hughes, Webb, Williams

AAA: LeBlanc, Light, Santana
SammyKhalifa

2017 Bullpen

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5A7B6E675F667D6E7B6A0F0 wrote: I think if Hutchison has a good start today you can pencil him as #5.

You mean like that?

Yikes.
CarolinaBucco

2017 Bullpen

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I guess I'm okay with the fact that Hutchison got lit because (A) He's not very good and if you put him in the rotation you are just asking for trouble; and (B) I really think we need the lefty Brault in the 5 spot.
Bobster21

2017 Bullpen

Post by Bobster21 »

6341524F4C494E41625543434F200 wrote: I guess I'm okay with the fact that Hutchison got lit because (A) He's not very good and if you put him in the rotation you are just asking for trouble; and (B) I really think we need the lefty Brault in the 5 spot.
I can recall seasons when a ST "competition" was "won" by the pitcher who put up worse stats than the loser. I will be very surprised if Hutchison is not the 5th starter regardless of ST stats. The Liriano/McGwire, Ramirez deal was bad PR and a decision that Hutchison isn't good enough to be #5 will be more egg on the face for the FO that tried to say that deal was to acquire Hutchison rather than giving away prospects to get Toronto to pay Liriano's salary. Plus, the Pirates gave Hutchison 2 million this year. That's a lot for a AAA pitcher. I don't think anyone else has a chance.
OrlandoMerced

2017 Bullpen

Post by OrlandoMerced »

On the plus side, it appears that NH fleeced the Nationals in the Melancon trade. Rivera may end up being one of the best relievers in baseball starting this year.
IABucFan

2017 Bullpen

Post by IABucFan »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: I guess I'm okay with the fact that Hutchison got lit because (A) He's not very good and if you put him in the rotation you are just asking for trouble; and (B) I really think we need the lefty Brault in the 5 spot.
I can recall seasons when a ST "competition" was "won" by the pitcher who put up worse stats than the loser. I will be very surprised if Hutchison is not the 5th starter regardless of ST stats. The Liriano/McGwire, Ramirez deal was bad PR and a decision that Hutchison isn't good enough to be #5 will be more egg on the face for the FO that tried to say that deal was to acquire Hutchison rather than giving away prospects to get Toronto to pay Liriano's salary. Plus, the Pirates gave Hutchison 2 million this year. That's a lot for a AAA pitcher. I don't think anyone else has a chance.

I just don't think this is fair though. It seems to me that, if anything, this FO has shown a propensity to not give a rat's behind what public perception is. I don't think Hutchison is a lock by any means. My money's on Brault. Glasnow comes up whenever an inevitable injury happens.
IABucFan

2017 Bullpen

Post by IABucFan »

7449575A555F54765E49585E5F3B0 wrote: On the plus side, it appears that NH fleeced the Nationals in the Melancon trade.  Rivera may end up being one of the best relievers in baseball starting this year.

Yes. I'm not so sure he shouldn't be our closer now.