Wed 8/2 Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by notes34 »

41666D4E030 wrote: All I feel is apathy.

It's hard to really care now.
Yep. I am starting to see my old tendencies coming back. I no longer look at the standings and only see if certain players are performing. Sad. We were relevant for a little while.
ScottinMass

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by ScottinMass »

One of the biggest cheers of the night was on the foul bunt by Stewart, that's how bad the offense is right now.
IABucFan

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by IABucFan »

7755465B585D5A55764157575B340 wrote: It's almost inconceivable to me that this team is 2-13 vs. the Reds and Giants.

And 0-8 AT HOME vs. the Reds and Giants.

If they were 6-2 at home vs. those two bottom-feeders (which isn't really asking all that much), they would be essentially be tied for 1st place.

Absolutely pathetic performance at home vs. rotten teams, and it has basically cost them the season and possibly the division.

Might as well make it 3-15 if you figure the Padres into it. 48-41 against everyone else. 3-15 against three of the absolute worst teams in baseball. If they just went 9-9 against those teams, they'd be 57-50, .5 game out of first place. Talk about playing down to your competition.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That is crazy. There really isn't an explanation either.
Bobster21

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by Bobster21 »

Losing can become contagious. They seem to once again have the losers' mentality of expecting to lose even against the pathetic pitchers they are facing. There is no energy. No passion. They just seem to show up and wait to get it over with. The manager may have instilled the feeling that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as you get plenty of rest. The FO has instilled the idea that you don't even need 3 OFers on the team as long as you're making money. The players all saw the lack of any effort all season long to improve the roster. They get it. If their bosses don't care, why should they?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Wed 8/2 Game

557875646372652526170 wrote: Losing can become contagious. They seem to once again have the losers' mentality of expecting to lose even against the pathetic pitchers they are facing. There is no energy. No passion. They just seem to show up and wait to get it over with. The manager may have instilled the feeling that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as you get plenty of rest. The FO has instilled the idea that you don't even need 3 OFers on the team as long as you're making money. The players all saw the lack of any effort all season long to improve the roster. They get it. If their bosses don't care, why should they?

They hit the ball hard last night in the first few innings.

I find it hard that the players don't care. Baseball is all about stats and good stats are how they get paid. I doubt players are trying to miss balls or strike out to stick it to the ownership. Baseball is such an individual sport where players can look out for themselves.
Bobster21

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by Bobster21 »

Did I say they were trying to miss balls or strike out to stick it to the ownership? Please show me where I said that. It's easy to defend an outrageous charge that hasn't been made. What I did say was that there is a lack of energy or passion. When the Pirates were losers 20 straight years, they understandably did not play with the passion of a pennant contender but they weren't trying to lose. They seem to have fallen back into a loser's mentality of not expecting to win. Sure, there are hard hit balls. Cutch had 3 HRs the other day. But when you look at the total team effort on a daily basis there doesn't seem to be much excitement. Attendance is down as fans have become very disappointed in the team. They have little to cheer about. The players aren't getting much done as a team. Fielders stand out there and watch their pitchers struggle. Pitchers watch their teammates struggle to hit against terrible pitchers. Guys get picked off. A game gets lost on a WP. The next day a game gets lost because Marte can't catch a fly ball. They trap a guy in a rundown and no one covers 2B. There's little excitement in the dugout of guys congratulating each other for great plays because great plays aren't being made. Guys are sitting in the dugout shaking their heads wondering what's wrong. Nobody's trying to do bad. But they sure don't look like a team on a mission either.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Wed 8/2 Game

When did I say that you said that? Right, I didn't.

I just don't think the players gave up. Its an individual game based on one vs. one and players want to improve their stats. Stats get them paid. I see players getting mad when they strike out. I saw Jordy Mercer snap at the umpire, rarely see that. I see the hand raise gesture on RBIs. I see the dugout dancing before the game. I see the celebration Gatorade after wins.

They might not be playing well as a team and winning, but I don't see them giving up on each other. It will just hurt themselves in the long run too.
Bobster21

Wed 8/2 Game

Post by Bobster21 »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: Losing can become contagious. They seem to once again have the losers' mentality of expecting to lose even against the pathetic pitchers they are facing. There is no energy. No passion. They just seem to show up and wait to get it over with. The manager may have instilled the feeling that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as you get plenty of rest. The FO has instilled the idea that you don't even need 3 OFers on the team as long as you're making money. The players all saw the lack of any effort all season long to improve the roster. They get it. If their bosses don't care, why should they?

I find it hard that the players don't care.  Baseball is all about stats and good stats are how they get paid.  I doubt players are trying to miss balls or strike out to stick it to the ownership.  Baseball is such an individual sport where players can look out for themselves.

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: When did I say that you said that? Right, I didn't.

I just don't think the players gave up. Its an individual game based on one vs. one and players want to improve their stats. Stats get them paid. I see players getting mad when they strike out. I saw Jordy Mercer snap at the umpire, rarely see that. I see the hand raise gesture on RBIs. I see the dugout dancing before the game. I see the celebration Gatorade after wins.

They might not be playing well as a team and winning, but I don't see them giving up on each other. It will just hurt themselves in the long run too.
You quoted me and that was your response.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Wed 8/2 Game

113C31202736216162530 wrote: Losing can become contagious. They seem to once again have the losers' mentality of expecting to lose even against the pathetic pitchers they are facing. There is no energy. No passion. They just seem to show up and wait to get it over with. The manager may have instilled the feeling that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as long as you get plenty of rest. The FO has instilled the idea that you don't even need 3 OFers on the team as long as you're making money. The players all saw the lack of any effort all season long to improve the roster. They get it. If their bosses don't care, why should they?

I find it hard that the players don't care.  Baseball is all about stats and good stats are how they get paid.  I doubt players are trying to miss balls or strike out to stick it to the ownership.  Baseball is such an individual sport where players can look out for themselves.

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: When did I say that you said that?  Right, I didn't. 

I just don't think the players gave up.  Its an individual game based on one vs. one and players want to improve their stats.  Stats get them paid.  I see players getting mad when they strike out.  I saw Jordy Mercer snap at the umpire, rarely see that.  I see the hand raise gesture on RBIs.  I see the dugout dancing before the game.  I see the celebration Gatorade after wins.

They might not be playing well as a team and winning, but I don't see them giving up on each other.  It will just hurt themselves in the long run too.
You quoted me and that was your response.

I was responding to your post. Sorry.