Easy trivia for old fans

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

1. What was the theme song to "The Joe L. Brown Show"?

2. What former Pirate did the American Heating Commercials on Studio Wrestling, and what slogan did he shout?

3. Who took over the slogan after the ex-Pirate died?

I've searched online, and can't find a single photo, video, or game story evidencing that Donn Clendenon would sometimes do a full scissors split when stretching to receive a throw.
fjk090852-7

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I can answer number 2. That was Pie Traynor who said "who can American ". I was a fan of Clendenon in the mid sixties. He could really stretch for the ball. He did used to strikeout a lot, so he would have fit in well with today's players.
DemDog

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by DemDog »

As a kid I do remember listening to the Joe L. Brown show after lunch on Sunday's at my grandma's house. Loved it but as a 10 yr old who is interested in know the theme song name.

As for who took over for Pie on Studio Wrestling and the slogan that is one that you will have a hard time figuring out. Who knows when I get time I may just call the tv station and see if someone can help me out on that one.

As for Clendenon and his "Clendenon Stretch", what you hear about it take it to the bank! I saw it many times as I grew up and was amazed at his flexibility. Of couse he did not do it everytime he caught a throw but if it was going to be close he would give it his all out stretch.
ArnoldRothstein

Easy trivia for old fans

15343C153E36510 wrote:

As for Clendenon and his "Clendenon Stretch", what you hear about it take it to the bank!  I saw it many times as I grew up and was amazed at his flexibility.  Of couse he did not do it everytime he caught a throw but if it was going to be close he would give it his all out stretch.

No, I remember this clearly - I go back to '66. I actually want to insert it into his wikipedia article, but you're really supposed (not always honored) to have a source other than your own memory. Nellie Briles mound flop is missing, too.
Bobster21

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by Bobster21 »

61524E4F4C44724F5448535445494E200 wrote:

As for Clendenon and his "Clendenon Stretch", what you hear about it take it to the bank!  I saw it many times as I grew up and was amazed at his flexibility.  Of couse he did not do it everytime he caught a throw but if it was going to be close he would give it his all out stretch.

No, I remember this clearly - I go back to '66.  I actually want to insert it into his wikipedia article, but you're really supposed (not always honored) to have a source other than your own memory.  Nellie Briles mound flop is missing, too.
You don't have to cite a source for Wiki even tho they ask.
ArnoldRothstein

Easy trivia for old fans

Answers:

1. I can't say for the whole run of the show, but in the late 60s The Joe L. Brown Show opened with an instrumental version of "Just a Little Bit of Luck," from My Fair Lady.

2. Pie Traynor did, indeed, do the American Heating commercials.

3. Mrs. Traynor took over the spot after Pie died. Bill Cardille or someone would read the ad, then pitch it to "Mrs. Pie," who would shout "Ameri-Can!"
fjk090852-7

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Something I remembered from the Joe L. Brown Show was towards the end he would give out a little info for a minor player in the organization. A name to remember. Gave the fans a little information on a player who was doing well in the organization, and who could eventually end up on the club in a year or two. In those days there were written questions to Mr Brown from the fans, and I had one or two answered over the air and got two tickets to an upcoming game.
Bobster21

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by Bobster21 »

DemDog

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by DemDog »

477468696A625469726E7572636F68060 wrote: Answers:

1. I can't say for the whole run of the show, but in the late 60s The Joe L. Brown Show opened with an instrumental version  of "Just a Little Bit of Luck," from My Fair Lady.

2. Pie Traynor did, indeed, do the American Heating commercials.

3. Mrs. Traynor took over the spot after Pie died. Bill Cardille or someone would read the ad, then pitch it to "Mrs. Pie," who would shout  "Ameri-Can!"

Geesh Babe you hit the nail on the head with Q #1. Just played it on youtube and that was the song for Joe L.

As for Mrs Traynor I will take your word for it. Did not pay that much attention to the commercials on Studio Wrestling.
johnfluharty

Easy trivia for old fans

Post by johnfluharty »

I didn't know any of them, and I'll take that fact as direct evidence of the fact that I am not old.  Thanks!  :)