Errors aren't errors anymore

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Tuesday's night game is a perfect example of how bad the scoring is in MLB. Pitchers ERA have to be taking a hit due to this bad scoring.

Harrison had a ball skip off his glove and a run scored. Bell had a ball go under his glove and that hitter came around to score. Harrison's ball was hit hard, but it bounced off of him. There was no diving, running a far distance. It was hit right to him. Bell's play was a milestone "hit" for Gonzales.

I am not knocking the two players, but they were clearly errors. They did hurt the Pirates as runs scored because of them, but the pitchers got the blame or stat hit. That isn't right in my opinion.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Sounds like excuses for very high ERAs for our awful starting rotation.

Nutting's Propaganda Department will probably be feeding this nugget to Huntington so he can regurgitate it all offseason and Brown and Blass can blather on about it all next season during games.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

0A2A3924254B0 wrote: Sounds like excuses for very high ERAs for our awful starting rotation.

Nutting's Propaganda Department will probably be feeding this nugget to Huntington so he can regurgitate it all offseason and Brown and Blass can blather on about it all next season during games.

Nice. Way to twist this thread into ownership bashing.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Sounds like excuses for very high ERAs for our awful starting rotation.

Nice.  Way to twist this thread into ownership bashing.

Just trying to balance out your front office cheerleading.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Tuesday's night game is a perfect example of how bad the scoring is in MLB.  Pitchers ERA have to be taking a hit due to this bad scoring.

Harrison had a ball skip off his glove and a run scored.  Bell had a ball go under his glove and that hitter came around to score.  Harrison's ball was hit hard, but it bounced off of him.  There was no diving, running a far distance.  It was hit right to him.  Bell's play was a milestone "hit" for Gonzales.

I am not knocking the two players, but they were clearly errors.  They did hurt the Pirates as runs scored because of them, but the pitchers got the blame or stat hit.  That isn't right in my opinion.

doesn't mlb control scoring now (rather than home team hiring someone).

I think your examples are good ones and that baseball has evolved toward reducing errors. Certainly some reduction is because players seem to not make as many bobbles as in the olden days (even 1970's of Frank Taveras and Dale Berra - not many players like them around now).

Errors are a negative stat so it is getting reduced.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

It is a negative stat than can hurt the Pitcher's line. Last night was an example of that.

I think errors are being reduced because players complain about them. Hitters and Fielders both complain and never think about the Pitcher. I don't recall the last time (if ever) a Pitcher complained about a teammate not getting scored an error, but fielders do it.

McCutchen said this last year on a line drive hit by Rizzo: "Whoever scored that an error should be fired. That's unbelievable. I did everything I could to catch it". He obviously didn't care about his pitcher. The error was changed to a hit, Rizzo scored, earned run for Nicasio.

It is bad and someone is getting hurt with the incorrect call even if two players are benefitting from it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't remember Harrison's play but I thought Bell should have been charged with an obvious error. It was hit right to him and he went down as if to smother it and it went under his glove. It's not just a Pirate issue. This has been common in MLB for many years now. Seems like MLB wants to promote players with better batting averages more than pitchers with lower ERAs and shoddy fielding. The rule for scoring an error is supposed to be a play that should have been made with routine effort regardless of whether it's touched or not. But in today's MLB, any hard hit ball seems to be ruled a hit.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I could go either way on the Harrison play since it was hit very hard. He got a really awkward in-between bounce and I'm not sure he had have time to go back or forward to make the play any easier.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: I don't remember Harrison's play but I thought Bell should have been charged with an obvious error. It was hit right to him and he went down as if to smother it and it went under his glove. It's not just a Pirate issue. This has been common in MLB for many years now. Seems like MLB wants to promote players with better batting averages more than pitchers with lower ERAs and shoddy fielding. The rule for scoring an error is supposed to be a play that should have been made with routine effort regardless of whether it's touched or not. But in today's MLB, any hard hit ball seems to be ruled a hit.

It is definitely a MLB issue. I am waiting for a pitcher to speak up. Those plays last night was a big reason why the Pirates lost.
thessy

Post by thessy »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: I don't remember Harrison's play but I thought Bell should have been charged with an obvious error. It was hit right to him and he went down as if to smother it and it went under his glove. It's not just a Pirate issue. This has been common in MLB for many years now. Seems like MLB wants to promote players with better batting averages more than pitchers with lower ERAs and shoddy fielding. The rule for scoring an error is supposed to be a play that should have been made with routine effort regardless of whether it's touched or not. But in today's MLB, any hard hit ball seems to be ruled a hit.

It is definitely a MLB issue.  I am waiting for a pitcher to speak up.  Those plays last night was a big reason why the Pirates lost.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but what could a pitcher say that wouldn't make it seem like excuses and placing blame on his teammates for the sake of his stats?