Another affordable option gone.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

192B27273301222B26232C2B4A0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Saw that and it burns my hide.  We need two for the rotation, not one.  He would have been a primary option based on his history here, with Searage.

We are not going to like who we bring in for the rotation.

Yeah, this one pretty much stunned me.  Who in the heck is Neal going to target?  Maybe 2x$11M is beyond the Buccos!  Yikes!

Just to be clear, some of you are mad that the Pirates didn't sign a guy who is in his mid 30s and just through up a 5.37 ERA last year?  He led the league in ER allowed.

What am I missing?  Why is anyone upset?  This isn't the pitcher of 2 or three years ago.

"Upset" would not be the correct word, at least for me.  Confused - yes.   

We've got some numbers to consider the cost of pitching this year.   Charlie and Volquez are pushing $$$ that I expect the Pirates to choke over.  It will only get more expensive from here if the pitcher has any perigee.   So back to my Q - who the heck does Neal pursue? 

Volquez is an interesting possibility because of the Ray's track record with him.  I don't think it's unreasonable to believe Volquez could be a very positive addition to the Pirate rotation.  Certainly as good as anyone they could acquire in this FA.  M

Personally, I agree with SC - I think the Pirates need two new starters.  Volquez and one more from a trade would make sense to me.  And affordable, surely.  Now I'm thinking Neal only brings in one starter, from a trade.  I think $11M for Volquez would have been an appropriate gamble. 

Is Volquez better or worse at this point than Jeff Locke or Jon Niese?

Personally, I'd much rather have Volquez.

rucker59@gmail.com

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Saw that and it burns my hide.  We need two for the rotation, not one.  He would have been a primary option based on his history here, with Searage.

Yeah, this one pretty much stunned me.  Who in the heck is Neal going to target?  Maybe 2x$11M is beyond the Buccos!  Yikes!

Just to be clear, some of you are mad that the Pirates didn't sign a guy who is in his mid 30s and just through up a 5.37 ERA last year?  He led the league in ER allowed.

What am I missing?  Why is anyone upset?  This isn't the pitcher of 2 or three years ago.

Agree. 

I am glad they passed on Volquez or didn't land him.  People just want the Pirates to spend money in sake of spending.  I'd rather use a young guy than Volquez for any money.

Simply not true.  I have no interest in the Pirates spending just to spend.  I am interested in building a better team which will require some spending.  If you're willing to go into this year with just our young guys filling all the available slots then you are simply willing to shoot for mediocrity. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Over Volquez and Morton, I would rather have a young guy.  Volquez wasn't very good last year and we know all about Morton.  I would take a shot at the young guys performing the same or better than those two. 

Signing either one of those guys would be wasting money and saying "look, we spent money". 
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

212630383621666A13343E323A3F7D303C3E530 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

We've got some numbers to consider the cost of pitching this year.   Charlie and Volquez are pushing $$$ that I expect the Pirates to choke over.  It will only get more expensive from here if the pitcher has any perigee.   So back to my Q - who the heck does Neal pursue? 

Volquez is an interesting possibility because of the Ray's track record with him.  I don't think it's unreasonable to believe Volquez could be a very positive addition to the Pirate rotation.  Certainly as good as anyone they could acquire in this FA.  M

Personally, I agree with SC - I think the Pirates need two new starters.  Volquez and one more from a trade would make sense to me.  And affordable, surely.  Now I'm thinking Neal only brings in one starter, from a trade.  I think $11M for Volquez would have been an appropriate gamble. 

Personally, I'd much rather have Volquez.

Granted it's like choosing your favorite STD. 
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

685A56564270535A57525D5A3B0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Serious question? The answer is pretty obvious. Locke is garbage and Niese was too, so ...
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Well the players have played for teams other than the Pirates.  Both Niese and Volquez were crap last year, and okay as recently as the season before. 

I'd be okay with us bringing him back, but let's not pretend this this the same guy as a few years ago.  We both know damn well that reaction would be totally different if the signing were to the Pirates instead of the Marlins.  People (many of the SAME people) would be blasting management for signing re-treads.
Quail

Post by Quail »

While Volquez might have a chance of rebounding with the Pirates and Ray Searage, his ceiling is around a #3-#4 not top of the rotation. For $11M he might not end up being any better than Locke, Niese or Vogelsong would be for half the price.

If the Bucs aren't pursuing a #1 or #2 type pitcher via trade then I'd be happier to see them go with all youth. I got to see more than enough of veteran garbage (Locke, Niese, Vogelsong) last year to last me the rest of my baseball watching days.
rucker59@gmail.com

I'm thinking Volquez as a #4/5 type with the Pirates trading for a high end starter. Then Volquez could make a lot of sense and the Pirates could have a significantly improved rotation. Potentially.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7374626A6473343841666C60686D2F626E6C010 wrote: I'm thinking Volquez as a #4/5 type with the Pirates trading for a high end starter.  Then Volquez could make a lot of sense and the Pirates could have a significantly improved rotation.  Potentially. 

That would be a plan. I don't want to make the impression that I don't agree that we need more starters. We needed them last offseason and have even fewer now. I'm just not ready quite yet to slam the management for not making one of them Volquez specifically, who is probably only marginally better than guys we already had in the organization.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7374626A6473343841666C60686D2F626E6C010 wrote: I'm thinking Volquez as a #4/5 type with the Pirates trading for a high end starter.  Then Volquez could make a lot of sense and the Pirates could have a significantly improved rotation.  Potentially. 

That would be a plan. I don't want to make the impression that I don't agree that we need more starters. We needed them last offseason and have even fewer now. I'm just not ready quite yet to slam the management for not making one of them Volquez specifically, who is probably only marginally better than guys we already had in the organization.