Liriano or Nova?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Liriano or Nova?

Post by Aaron »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote:

Was McGuire in the deal because Neal Huntington knows he won't be a successful starting catcher?

No. He was included in the deal because Huntington was 100% intent on dumping Liriano's salary and that was one of the players included to do so.

And McGuire has zero major league service time, so it would be more difficult to assess how he'll do if he ever makes the majors.

On the other hand, Hutchison has had a few years at the major league level. His results would indicate that his chances of succeeding are slim.

Oh, funny how that works for Toronto and not the Pirates. Ha ha.

LOL!!!

If you can't see the difference between a guy with over 400 IP in the majors since 2012 and a guy with barely 300 at bat above A ball, I can't help you.  Not sure anyone can help you.

Your reasoning is what is funny.

Your inability to grasp even simple concepts is sad.
DemDog

Liriano or Nova?

Post by DemDog »

7E5E4D50513F0 wrote:

Was McGuire in the deal because Neal Huntington knows he won't be a successful starting catcher?

No. He was included in the deal because Huntington was 100% intent on dumping Liriano's salary and that was one of the players included to do so.

And McGuire has zero major league service time, so it would be more difficult to assess how he'll do if he ever makes the majors.

On the other hand, Hutchison has had a few years at the major league level. His results would indicate that his chances of succeeding are slim.

Oh, funny how that works for Toronto and not the Pirates. Ha ha.

LOL!!!

If you can't see the difference between a guy with over 400 IP in the majors since 2012 and a guy with barely 300 at bat above A ball, I can't help you.  Not sure anyone can help you.

Your reasoning is what is funny.

Your inability to grasp even simple concepts is sad.

Your inability to grasp the rules of OBN is equally sad. If you don't have something nice to say on a topic then don't say it. Consider yourself warned Aaron.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I was the one that explained the Liriano trade before Huntington spoke to the media or public. So, I did understand that trade.

I wish McGuire and Ramirez well. I wonder what other offers were out there for Liriano if he is so good. It does seem like an odd trade if Liriano was wanted throughout baseball.

Agreeing with the trade and understanding the trade are different too. With Huntington's track record, I will trust he made the right move at this point.
SCBucco

Liriano or Nova?

Post by SCBucco »

646F676B6E6F743137407961686F6F2E636F000 wrote: I was the one that explained the Liriano trade before Huntington spoke to the media or public. So, I did understand that trade.

I wish McGuire and Ramirez well. I wonder what other offers were out there for Liriano if he is so good.  It does seem like an odd trade if Liriano was wanted throughout baseball. 

Agreeing with the trade and understanding the trade are different too.  With Huntington's track record, I will trust he made the right move at this point.

Why don't you pat yourself on the back a bit more. In all seriousness, a fifth grader could explain the reasons behind that deal. It was pretty obvious why they included two top 10 prospects in the organization to rid themselves of the deal. Liriano had to go. That was obvious. No one liked adding the two prospects, but it had to be done probably. Very few people like Hutchinson at all coming back.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0919182F3939355A0 wrote: I was the one that explained the Liriano trade before Huntington spoke to the media or public. So, I did understand that trade.

I wish McGuire and Ramirez well. I wonder what other offers were out there for Liriano if he is so good.  It does seem like an odd trade if Liriano was wanted throughout baseball. 

Agreeing with the trade and understanding the trade are different too.  With Huntington's track record, I will trust he made the right move at this point.

Why don't you pat yourself on the back a bit more.  In all seriousness, a fifth grader could explain the reasons behind that deal.  It was pretty obvious why they included two top 10 prospects in the organization to rid themselves of the deal.  Liriano had to go.  That was obvious.  No one liked adding the two prospects, but it had to be done probably.  Very few people like Hutchinson at all coming back.

But that's not how it went down. That's the point. Yet, people still think differently. But I'm the one that doesn't understand? People think the Pirates lie when they don't hear what they want to hear.
dmetz

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dmetz »

606B636F6A6B703533447D656C6B6B2A676B040 wrote: I was the one that explained the Liriano trade before Huntington spoke to the media or public. So, I did understand that trade.

Why don't you pat yourself on the back a bit more.  In all seriousness, a fifth grader could explain the reasons behind that deal.  It was pretty obvious why they included two top 10 prospects in the organization to rid themselves of the deal.  Liriano had to go.  That was obvious.  No one liked adding the two prospects, but it had to be done probably.  Very few people like Hutchinson at all coming back.

But that's not how it went down. That's the point. Yet, people still think differently. But I'm the one that doesn't understand? People think the Pirates lie when they don't hear what they want to hear.

Come on, its exacrly how it went down.   Youre just one of the few that (appears to)believes every sentence of propaganda coming out of the org.

There were reports that the commissioner's office took a hard look at the deal because it was trading prospects for money.   NH cannot say that the prospects were traded for salary relief.    It's abundantly clear what happened, and why the org said what they said.

There's nothing anyone is going to say that will open your eyes to that, I realize    if NH said tomorrow "we have metrics that makes us believe Cutch is one of the best defensive CFers in baseball".  Would you believe him?
Bobster21

Liriano or Nova?

Post by Bobster21 »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: I was the one that explained the Liriano trade before Huntington spoke to the media or public. So, I did understand that trade.

Dog, you're saying "that's not how it went down" as if you were in the room when it happened. Keep in mind that any pro sports team deals in PR issues for every move they make. They will always put the most favorable spin on any move. None of us can know with certainty how that trade unfolded. But let's just look at NH's explanation:

Huntington said there was no deal that did not include Liriano.

“Many people jumped to incorrect conclusions. Our primary motivation was to acquire Drew Hutchison. ... Instead, it came out that we moved two prospects to move Liriano's contract. Now I can't tell you that wasn't a part of the motivation, but the primary motivation was to acquire a quality pitcher.”

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1090 ... on-liriano

So NH said the deal had to include Liriano and that the Pirates' primary motivation was to acquire Hutchison. Okay, fine. But he added that he could not say moving the 2 prospects to move Liriano's contract wasn't a part of the motivation. So in his own words, he said they wanted to trade Liriano for Hutchison and "part of the motivation" for including the 2 prospects was to move Liriano's remaining salary (which was 18 million thru 2017).

So when he says people jumped to incorrect conclusions, he's actually saying the trade was made to obtain Hutchison rather than to simply dump Liriano's remaining 18 million but also that "part of the motivation" of including the prospects was to move Liriano's salary as well as the player. So according to NH, that's how it went down.