8/21--Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

8/21--Dodgers

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The plan was multiple innings for Benoit the whole time. Hurdle made a double switch and took out Harrison. I didn't like that move. It's wasting players in a tie game. Plus, Harrison was having a good night.

Hurdle said Rivero didn't feel right after playing catch? At least, I assume that was who he was talking about. No Kontos tonight. Neverauskas wasn't supposed to be used. Hurdle did take the blame on leaving Cole in. He had faith in Cole.
IABucFan

8/21--Dodgers

Post by IABucFan »

I think it would have been in the Dodgers' best interest to forfeit these four games. It keeps the NL Central that much more interesting. The more pressure they can put on the Cubs, the more it helps them. Plus, they could have gotten lots of rest for their players.
SteadyFreddy

8/21--Dodgers

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Even if the Dodgers would forfeit the Pirates under Hurdle managing would probably still find someway to lose these games. They are now 7 back in the division and 8 back of the 2nd wildcard with 37 games to play. The playoff talk with this team is done fellas it's not happening. Cole has not been good his last 2 starts and has blown leads of 3 and 4 runs in each of them. That just can't happen when he pitches. He has got to do a better job of slamming the door shut when he has a lead and he just doesn't do it and might never be able to do it at this rate in his career.
rucker59@gmail.com

8/21--Dodgers

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

092A3F3F3E36353B3E3F2862625A0 wrote: Had to run to this blog to see comments after that monumental Grand Slam by Curtis Granderson.  That ought to be a fitting way to run Clint Hurdle and Neal Huntington out of town.

Boy oh boy - was that a punch in the gut!!  All of it: not just a HR, no a GS; to take the lead, in late innings, against our ( ::)) ace, at PNC.

Neil homers with the Brewers.  Good thing we're not playing the Indians - can you imagine how many dingers Bruce would put up against the buccos?

The reaction of Cole almost made it worthwhile...
Bobster21

8/21--Dodgers

Post by Bobster21 »

Just a thought about Cole. This is his 5th MLB season. He is a hard thrower with a FB in the high 90s. Just in the past 5 years, that has become much more prevalent. Even Chad Kuhl can make that same claim now, which he wasn't doing just a year ago. Chapman currently has a 4.14 ERA. Rivero's ERA for August is 5.63. HRs and Ks are up this year as batters are adjusting to the faster pitching which is becoming the new normal and selling out on the fastball. The advantage Cole had a couple years ago as one of the hardest throwers seems gone now. He's just another guy throwing in the high 90s and getting hit around by batters who've adjusted. Maybe he needs to become more of a pitcher and less of a thrower.
CarolinaBucco

8/21--Dodgers

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Bobster I think that's a great point on Cole. Hadn't really thought of it that way. When he arrived he was considered one of the hardest throwers in the game. He was overpowering. Now EVERYONE does it. 96 mph big deal. Cole needs to be a better "pitcher." And I know he looked good for 6 IP last night, but I'm just talking about Cole in general. His numbers are very pedestrian.
notes34

8/21--Dodgers

Post by notes34 »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: Just a thought about Cole. This is his 5th MLB season. He is a hard thrower with a FB in the high 90s. Just in the past 5 years, that has become much more prevalent. Even Chad Kuhl can make that same claim now, which he wasn't doing just a year ago. Chapman currently has a 4.14 ERA. Rivero's ERA for August is 5.63. HRs and Ks are up this year as batters are adjusting to the faster pitching which is becoming the new normal and selling out on the fastball. The advantage Cole had a couple years ago as one of the hardest throwers seems gone now. He's just another guy throwing in the high 90s and getting hit around by batters who've adjusted. Maybe he needs to become more of a pitcher and less of a thrower.
Oh that is it exactly. My son works with a professional pitching coach who studies un Perry Husband. The emphasis has been on throwing 100. That is going to change as hitters now just gear up and they can catch up to it! If you can't change speeds and hit your spots you are in trouble. Just look at pitchers coming out of the bullpen, they all throw upper 90's. There is going to be a shift too guys with movement and control. It is coming.
johnfluharty

8/21--Dodgers

Post by johnfluharty »

At this point I think I'd like to load Hurdle into a giant cannon at home plate and fire him off into the Allegheny.
Bobster21

8/21--Dodgers

Post by Bobster21 »

5C595E58505A435E5744424F360 wrote: At this point I think I'd like to load Hurdle into a giant cannon at home plate and fire him off into the Allegheny.
LOL!!!
Bobster21

8/21--Dodgers

Post by Bobster21 »

587A69747772757A596E7878741B0 wrote: Bobster I think that's a great point on Cole. Hadn't really thought of it that way. When he arrived he was considered one of the hardest throwers in the game. He was overpowering. Now EVERYONE does it. 96 mph big deal. Cole needs to be a better "pitcher." And I know he looked good for 6 IP last night, but I'm just talking about Cole in general. His numbers are very pedestrian.
Even in the 1st few innings he gave up some shots that looked like they could go out but were caught at the wall. Another foot or 2 on those shots and he would've been blown out early.