OK, the Decisive Trip out West

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Well, this trip out West, leading up to the deadline, is going to determine the Pirates path for the rest of the season.

If the Pirates stay hot and go 6-3 or better, I think it will force Neal's hand to do SOMETHING to make this team better and give it a chance to win a winnable division.

Get swept in Denver (which I am worried about) and go 3-6 or worse and that will probably signal a sale and the end of this team being relevant in 2017.

5-4 or 4-5 and I think a lot will depend on the how the Brewers and Cubs do over the next 10 days.

Here's how I see it:

Colorado: They are good and they are difficult to beat at home and they score a lot of runs. Honestly I just want the Pirates to figure out how to get 1 game in Denver. PLEASE DO NOT GET SWEPT.

San Fran: Yes, they're terrible, yes their season is over and yes they just swept the Pirates in Pittsburgh. So don't take anything for granted, but the Pirates need to find a way to get 2 of 3. Bumgarner will start one of the games, and I realize he's 0-3 but I also expect him to beat the Pirates.

San Diego: Pirates absolutely must get 2 of 3, at a minimum.

Bottom line: I will be pleased with 5-4, and 4-5 might be good enough if the Brewers and Flubs slip up a few times.

If the Pirates can return home 1 game over .500 and less than 5 games out of 1st place, and with a favorable schedule coming up, I think they will be in this thing for the long haul. But they have to survive this trip without losing all of the ground they just made up.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates are running into the Giants' big three named pitchers: Cain, Bumganer, Samardzija.

Maybe we can trade for Cueto while there?
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I will be in San Diego next Friday and will take all the mojo I can muster with me for at least one win!

A vacation and SoCal stadium swing -- SD, LA and ANA.

mouse

Post by mouse »

The Pirates seem to be able to play to the level of their competition. My concern here would be that after playing so well they would revert to their pre-surge days and play horribly in SF and SanDiego (at least).
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Cards are putting a beat down on the Cubs today. 11-3, Cards have scored nine runs in the 8th inning, have runners on first and third, no outs, first 11 batters have reached base. They might have to invoke a mercy rule on this one!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4362777E467F64776273160 wrote: I will be in San Diego next Friday and will take all the mojo I can muster with me for at least one win!

A vacation and SoCal stadium swing -- SD, LA and ANA.

We lose that Friday game, you are in deep doodoo on OBN. ;D ;D

Hope you can take your mojo and get us a win. In any case hope you have a great time at the SoCal stadiums and see some exciting baseball.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

40484B7C6A4F6867090 wrote: Cards are putting a beat down on the Cubs today. 11-3, Cards have scored nine runs in the 8th inning, have runners on first and third, no outs, first 11 batters have reached base. They might have to invoke a mercy rule on this one!
This is at least the third time this season the Cubs have had the opposition score a huge amount of runs against them in one inning. The Bucs and Brewers each did it prior to the Break. I will probably jinx the Bucs but I am not sold on the Cubs winning the Central.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

It's July 21st. Some moves should already be in the works. Sit on your hands and wait on a this road trip and the few possible moves a team like us would even make might be gone
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

good start for Bucs on offense, need Williams to settle down and pitch well.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Brewers and Cubs have lost. Bucs up 7-3 in 4th and need to keep scoring. Bell already 3 for 3 with 4 RBIs by 4th inning. Nice to have a legit cleanup hitter. Gotta win this. Polanco finally runs hard and pulls a hamstring.