Trade Deadline Deals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Re: Trade Deadline Deals

Post by Possum »

Waiting on GMBC to make a deal for a hitter who will make a difference in 2024 is driving me nuts. I can't wait until 6 pm to be either excited or disappointed.
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

It's being reported that the Pirates have acquired lefty reliever Josh Walker from the Mets. He was recently DFA'd by New York. His ERA is north of 5.00 this year. I hope he can hit. There's no word on who the Mets will receive in return.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:06 pm It's being reported that the Pirates have acquired lefty reliever Josh Walker from the Mets. He was recently DFA'd by New York. His ERA is north of 5.00 this year. I hope he can hit.
The Bucs have caused you to become very sarcastic. 8-)
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:06 pm It's being reported that the Pirates have acquired lefty reliever Josh Walker from the Mets. He was recently DFA'd by New York. His ERA is north of 5.00 this year. I hope he can hit. There's no word on who the Mets will receive in return.
With the TDL fast approaching, Cherington is leaving no dumpster unturned.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

bucs607179 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:08 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:06 pm It's being reported that the Pirates have acquired lefty reliever Josh Walker from the Mets. He was recently DFA'd by New York. His ERA is north of 5.00 this year. I hope he can hit.
The Bucs have caused you to become very sarcastic. 8-)
Actually, I've been this way since 2016 when they gave up completely. I've been fooled at times over the past eight years into thinking maybe, just maybe, change was occurring. But it never has. If the club does nothing over the next three and a half hours, I may lose it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:12 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:06 pm It's being reported that the Pirates have acquired lefty reliever Josh Walker from the Mets. He was recently DFA'd by New York. His ERA is north of 5.00 this year. I hope he can hit. There's no word on who the Mets will receive in return.
With the TDL fast approaching, Cherington is leaving no dumpster unturned.
I heard some rustling in a dumpster behind Wal-Mart this morning. You don't think . . . ?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Possum wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:59 pm Waiting on GMBC to make a deal for a hitter who will make a difference in 2024 is driving me nuts. I can't wait until 6 pm to be either excited or disappointed.
I wasn't going to admit this but I felt this way yesterday. I thought yesterday was Tuesday and was on pins and needles about the deadline. Now going through it all again. My worst nightmare is a repeat of the Chris Archer deal (but for a hitter).
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's funny, listening to the Fan and those guys going nuts. They are coming to the realization that some of you needed to come to. I have said it from the get go: I don't expect them to do much of anything, and if they did, it would be dumping Chapman for a controllable AAA guy or two. They have said it over and over, and people seem to miss the important part of the sentence: "We look to continually upgrade the offense, BUT we're comfortable with our internal options."

Someone made a comment a long time ago when BC was hired, about the biggest criticism from Boston fans when he was there: He loves hoarding prospects. He can't let them go.

Some of the names being thrown around won't budge this offense much at all. Kevin Pillar? Puhlease.

I honestly believe upper management never expected the team to be where they are at.

Keep in mind folks, they still ARE NOT in a playoff position. Two of the three teams that currently hold a spot, the Mets and Braves, have the tiebreaker over the Pirates. The one in front of them in the first spot out, holds the tiebreaker over the Pirates (who can turn that this weekend when AZ visits). The team they are tied with, holds the tiebreaker over the Pirates.

Fighting for that last spot, they can't be tied, because they'll lose out.

I think they hope they can improve the roster with controllable guys, but chances are, they are going to ride this out, and hope what they have is enough.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Walker out with an oblique injury in AZ-they just picked up Josh Bell
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

I am not going to rate this move until I see what happens with Chapman today. The fact that they halted Boruki's rehab was not good news - especially if you need some kind of lefty in your bullpen ... and want to move Chapman. Which may explain both Beeks and Walker.

Fangraphs gives Walker pretty high marks: A late-round Division II success story, Walker rocketed through the minors in 2021, pitched at Triple-A during parts of the next few years and debuted in Flushing in 2023 before an oblique strain sent him to the 60-day IL. He’s been back and forth from Syracuse to Citi Field a few times in 2024. A lefty with a great frame, Walker has a stiff overhand delivery that generates depth on a good curveball despite it lacking much spin. It’s a nasty enough pitch to play as a backfoot weapon against righties, as well as in a left-on-left capacity. He’s also had a little velo uptick in the early going of 2024, and his ability to consistently locate his heater to the top of the zone has helped it garner a chase rate north of 40% this year. He looks like a stable middle reliever.
55 FB/60 Curve, 50 command

So I am willing to wait and see - at least for a few hours.