Trade Deadline Deals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Trade Deadline Deals

Post by Possum »

We need some bats. What kind of deal would you propose BC do to make the team competitive this year and next?
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Re: Trade Deadline Deals

Post by Doc »

Possum wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:49 pm We need some bats. What kind of deal would you propose BC do to make the team competitive this year and next?
You want some legit bats? I'd trade for both Bellinger and Guerrero and then sign both of them to long term contracts. What would that take the payroll to, $130 million? And no, I haven't been drinking. I'm just pretending we have a real owner.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I wonder if Mlodzinski will be trade bait to acquire a good bat. He's become almost automatic. Since beginning the season injured and being scored upon in 5 of his first 7 games, he's been sored upon in only 3 of his other 17 games. His ERA over that span is 1.21 with a BA against of .188. He was a 1st rd draft pick in 2020 and pitched well for them last season. I'd hate to see him go and I know Chapman is short term. But they have Holderman and Bednar and Mlodzinski could be a closer on another team.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:49 pm I wonder if Mlodzinski will be trade bait to acquire a good bat. He's become almost automatic. Since beginning the season injured and being scored upon in 5 of his first 7 games, he's been sored upon in only 3 of his other 17 games. His ERA over that span is 1.21 with a BA against of .188. He was a 1st rd draft pick in 2020 and pitched well for them last season. I'd hate to see him go and I know Chapman is short term. But they have Holderman and Bednar and Mlodzinski could be a closer on another team.
I think they are going to move Chapman, and then bring back Borucki. Chapman won’t get them the bat they now need, but he will get them a prospect or two. It would be nice if they could acquire and outfielder with some years of service remaining, as well as an outfielder who would be a free agent at years end.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I would trade Bednar before Mlodzinski . I say go after Rooker in Oakland and Mountcastle of Balt. Or just bring up Beer and make Cutch play some OF.
Last edited by PooperScooper ! on Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Too many holes to plug to fix them with deadline deals. No one player is going to fix the offense. But if they plan on internal options, then Bae and
Davis should be back up. They are both hitting well it appears in Indy. Gorski has really tailed off in July. It's time to start a revolving door until someone shows they want to stay.

I think they should find a team that would take a package deal of Chapman and Hayes. Chapman of course has value, Hayes has value theoretically because of the team friendly contract. However, Hayes is the absolute worst offensive third baseman in MLB among 17 qualified players, and it isn't even close. It would have to be a team with deep pockets who could explore having a glove third baseman with possible upside from what he has shown flashes for. His contract is a drop in the bucket for a lot of teams. But they wouldn't be getting much in return, other than salary relief.

The Pirates pivot to Triolo, who isn't any better with the bat right now, but he's cost controlled. The Pirates pitching is getting exceptionally healthy. Chapman is on fire right now, and right now is the best time to trade him. It's a position of strength for the Pirates.

More salary relief. Between the two, they could (I know, I hear you laughing Bob) use that money to attempt to extend you know who.

So we're not getting anyone. That's just my thoughts. I think anything that is done will be with 2025 in mind.

And they need to have a conversation with Cutch.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I see several outfielders were traded today (none to the Pirates). I was expecting it to be quiet until Monday but it seems to have started.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:34 pm Too many holes to plug to fix them with deadline deals. No one player is going to fix the offense. But if they plan on internal options, then Bae and
Davis should be back up. They are both hitting well it appears in Indy. Gorski has really tailed off in July. It's time to start a revolving door until someone shows they want to stay.

I think they should find a team that would take a package deal of Chapman and Hayes. Chapman of course has value, Hayes has value theoretically because of the team friendly contract. However, Hayes is the absolute worst offensive third baseman in MLB among 17 qualified players, and it isn't even close. It would have to be a team with deep pockets who could explore having a glove third baseman with possible upside from what he has shown flashes for. His contract is a drop in the bucket for a lot of teams. But they wouldn't be getting much in return, other than salary relief.

The Pirates pivot to Triolo, who isn't any better with the bat right now, but he's cost controlled. The Pirates pitching is getting exceptionally healthy. Chapman is on fire right now, and right now is the best time to trade him. It's a position of strength for the Pirates.

More salary relief. Between the two, they could (I know, I hear you laughing Bob) use that money to attempt to extend you know who.

So we're not getting anyone. That's just my thoughts. I think anything that is done will be with 2025 in mind.

And they need to have a conversation with Cutch.
You are correct Surg regarding Cutch. Father time is taking it's toll
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Javy

Post by Javy »

Just saw Austin Hays from the Orioles to the Phillies. While he's not having a normally productive season compared to other years, he would have been a decent addition to the Bucs. The price tag of Seranthony Dominguez and Cristan Pache was not steep, as I have watched Dominguez struggle the last few years as he recovered from TJ surgery, and Pache is an extreme lightweight as a hitter.

Hopefully, the Bucs can get in on someone like Isaac Paredes from the Rays, De La Cruz from the Marlins or Lane Thomas from the Nationals. I'm thinking Paredes for 1st base and move Tellez into a DH platoon with Cutch.