Cruz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Cruz

Post by CarolinaBucco »

The Pirates better not screw up Oneil Cruz.

He's obviously MEGA-talented.

He clearly wants a shot to make it at SS in the big leagues.

The Pirates might try to bury him in minors for another season (or more).

But he's probably our best option at SS RIGHT NOW. (Considering our other options are named Newman and Tucker).

The Pirates might insist he play multiple positions.

He could EASILY become frustrated or discouraged if he spends this summer playing OF and killing time in Altoona or Indy.

I just don't want the Pirates to screw this up. I feel like a lot of teams in this situation, if they did not have a quality starter at the MLB level, would just make him the starter this spring and go from there. I wish the Pirates would do that.

But because they are the Pirates, and because they have a long history of screwing up EVERYTHING, I am fearful of what might happen.

Cruz needs to be in the majors REAL SOON and he at least deserves a shot to play his preferred position.

And regarding the position, what have we got to lose? It's not like a Cruz error if going to cost this team a playoff spot.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Cruz

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

The one thing that gives me faith that the Pirates won’t screw this up is that Huntington is no longer in charge.  I trust Cherington’s judgment in all personnel matters far more than I did NH.

I’m all for bringing him up, if it’s what’s best for him.  Costing the Pirates games in 2022 due to his inexperience should have no bearing on the decision to having him play in Pittsburgh.  But if a couple of hundred at bats in Indy will make him a better major leaguer, than he should play there until he’s ready.
Bobster21

Cruz

Post by Bobster21 »

I expect Cruz to be with the Pirates at least by the 2nd half of the season. But his future is not at SS. He has struggled there defensively in the minors and is only 1 year ahead of Llover Peguero, who is strong defensively and a good hitter in the minors but without the power. However, I think they should let Cruz play SS when he gets up with the Pirates. Let him get accustomed to a higher level of pitching without simultaneously having to learn to play multiple positions. Then if it becomes necessary to have him switch to another position a year later, he will already be used to facing MLB pitching.
GreenWeenie

Cruz

Post by GreenWeenie »

I say- Cruz better not screw up with the Pirates.
DemDog

Cruz

Post by DemDog »

He was 2-3 with his 2nd HR and a fielding error.

Bucs vs Rays - 3/21[reason]Add box score[/reason]
mouse

Cruz

Post by mouse »

Spring training. Newman batted over .600 last year. Once the season starts it's a different game.
SteadyFreddy

Cruz

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I mentioned this in a thread yesterday that Cruz needs to be on the Major League roster to start the season. If these players the Pirates have are truly top tier prospects then start treating them as such and quit screwing around waiting for the perfect time to call him up. I think Newman should also be traded immediately. He has no future here with Puguero and Cruz on the roster and Gonzales at 2nd if they wanna move him there. Trade Newman now and move on.
SteadyFreddy

Cruz

Post by SteadyFreddy »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: The one thing that gives me faith that the Pirates won’t screw this up is that Huntington is no longer in charge.  I trust Cherington’s judgment in all personnel matters far more than I did NH.

I’m all for bringing him up, if it’s what’s best for him.  Costing the Pirates games in 2022 due to his inexperience should have no bearing on the decision to having him play in Pittsburgh.  But if a couple of hundred at bats in Indy will make him a better major leaguer, than he should play there until he’s ready. I agree with this and this should apply to other guys in the Minors as well this year that are just about Major League ready. Get them up here now and quit worrying about wins and losses in 2022. This isn’t a team that’s going to contend why treat it as such. I trust Cherrington to do stuff a lot better then Huntington in regards to young players being called up and fast tracked to the Majors. So what if you haven’t done it before and it’s not their philosophy. Well it should be their philosophy period. When you haven’t won a pennant and playoffs series in 43 years and a division title in 30 years it’s time to do things differently and use a new approach. I really hope the Pirates do this with this great talent they now in their Minor League system which is absolutely loaded. The Pirates really have an excellent shot to be a winning team as soon as maybe even next year in 2023 and definitely in 2024 and 2025. They can’t and shouldn’t screw this up this time.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Cruz

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

331405010419261205040419600 wrote: The one thing that gives me faith that the Pirates won’t screw this up is that Huntington is no longer in charge.  I trust Cherington’s judgment in all personnel matters far more than I did NH.

I’m all for bringing him up, if it’s what’s best for him.  Costing the Pirates games in 2022 due to his inexperience should have no bearing on the decision to having him play in Pittsburgh.  But if a couple of hundred at bats in Indy will make him a better major leaguer, than he should play there until he’s ready. I agree with this and this should apply to other guys in the Minors as well this year that are just about Major League ready. Get them up here now and [highlight]quit worrying about wins and losses in 2022.[/highlight] This isn’t a team that’s going to contend why treat it as such. I trust Cherrington to do stuff a lot better then Huntington in regards to young players being called up and fast tracked to the Majors. So what if you haven’t done it before and it’s not their philosophy. Well it should be their philosophy period. When you haven’t won a pennant and playoffs series in 43 years and a division title in 30 years it’s time to do things differently and use a new approach. I really hope the Pirates do this with this great talent they now in their Minor League system which is absolutely loaded. The Pirates really have an excellent shot to be a winning team as soon as maybe even next year in 2023 and definitely in 2024 and 2025. They can’t and shouldn’t screw this up this time.

Wins and losses this season, and maybe even next, shouldn't determine roster spots.  It exclusively should be about preparing this initial wave of younger players to perform to their highest level when they're ready to play in the major leagues. If that means some of them go to Altoona some to Indy or some to Pittsburgh, I'm fine with it. And then it should apply to each wave of players after that. Tampa and Oakland have success doing it that way, and have for quite some time, so it's possible.
GreenWeenie

Cruz

Post by GreenWeenie »

A team that isn't focused on winning will not win.

Any team.  Any time.  It's playing for the fun of it.

I don't care whether it's the local bowling league team or a major league professional baseball team.

This philosophy is a loser's mentality.

It's hard enough to win in a competitive world when you do focus on winning.  To not focus on it makes the improvement process all the more challenging on a club that needs fewer challenges, not more of them.

We complained all least season that the manager wasn't focused on winning. Last place.

Again.