3. Ke'Bryan Hayes (R) 3B

4. Daniel Vogelbach (L) DH

5. Michael Chavis (R) 1B

6. Jack Suwinski (L) RF

7. Diego Castillo (R) SS

8. Josh VanMeter (L) 2B

9. Andrew Knapp (S) C

Peters (L) SP

I can take VanMeter over Tucker but why on Michael Perez?
MaineBucs

Game Thread - 5/11 - Bucs vs Dodgers

Post by MaineBucs »

1 through 7 in the line-up is about as good as you can do with the talent that is on the roster, and Knapp starting a day game after a night game also makes sense.

I am opposed to VanMeter even being on the roster, but I am surprised that Shelton held off on starting him until today after his recent emergency catching stint.

Overall, I would rather have seen Tsutsugo at first and Chavis at 2nd with VanMeter relegated to purgatory. Tsutsugo seems to be picking it up a bit at the plate and it would be good to see if this is real or a mirage.

While I don't expect such, I would view it as a minor miracle if the Bucs could take 2 of 3 from the Dodgers.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Reporting live from PNC.

Let's Go Bucs!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Perez caught the last 3 games and catchers don't usually catch a day after a night game. I'm surprised M. Perez caught the last 3 games. Knapp was the backup but didn't become the starter when R. Perez was injured.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

735552474E4255434B200 wrote: Reporting live from PNC.

Let's Go Bucs!
Bring it home Surg
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Joie Block just noticed the Pirates have 2 men on. So far this inning he's been asking Wehner to name all his favorite Pirates growing up and then discussing Slushies including a fascinating discussion of what colors they come in.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

062B26373021367675440 wrote: Joie Block just noticed the Pirates have 2 men on. So far this inning he's been asking Wehner to name all his favorite Pirates growing up and then discussing Slushies including a fascinating discussion of what colors they come in.

I don't know if the discussion included this but I like the way kids order drinks by color rather than flavor.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I know the season is still young, and that a month of so of games does not make a season, but isn't it time for the Bucs to commit to Peters as a starter to see if he has suddenly figured things out as a 29 year old? With the exception of his recent control melt-down in Cincinnati (a game in which he should have been pulled before he was), Peters has been exceptional.

The Bucs currently have no starting pitching that you can count on for next year --- when the team is hopefully better. Take Peters out of the pen and insert him into the regular rotation with the expectation that he will try to go 5 - 6 innings (at present, I am not sure the Pirates will see any 7 inning starts this year) every game. Use Wilson, Thompson, et al in the pen in lieu of Peters. Also, don't have Peters follow Quintana, and stick a RH between the two.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Geez --- Pirates are continuing to play with a 3 man bench.

Concerns ---

1. Soon there will be no position player available to suck up an inning or two when the pitching staff gets rocked.

2. Lo the benefit of having someone on the bench who can hit.

Today's options are Cole, Tsutugo, and Perez.

3. The Bucs may need to have one or more pitchers practice as an outfield substitution.

4. Vogelbach should still hang onto a glove or two; he may be needed in the field.

5. VanMeter's time with the team will be protracted because of his (in)ability to play multiple positions.

6. While they could have found potential playing time as a DH, the careers of pinch-hjitters like Smokey Burgess and Jerry Lynch may have come to a premature end.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Guess VanMeter got tired of us talking $hit on him :D