Deadline watch

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Deadline watch

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

One week to the trade deadline, these are the Sporting News top 20 likely to be moved:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb ... qelfxjgbpq

They have all of Quintana, Reynolds, and Bednar among the 20, which I doubt is right.

I hope Quintana is dealt before his next start. At this point, he's much more likely to injure himself in his next start than he is to improve his value by much.
Bobster21

Deadline watch

Post by Bobster21 »

00332F2E2D25132E3529323524282F410 wrote: One week to the trade deadline, these are the Sporting News top 20 likely to be moved:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb ... qelfxjgbpq

They have all of Quintana, Reynolds, and Bednar among the 20, which I doubt is right.

I hope Quintana is dealt before his next start. At this point, he's much more likely to injure himself in his next start than he is to improve his value by much.
The national sports media, as well as some Pirate fans, are of the mindset that the Pirates will trade anyone who establishes trade value in an endless cycle of "starting over." For a 1 year rental like Quintana, a deal at the TDL was all but certain the day they signed him. But players like Reynolds and Bednar have years of control remaining and are valuable to the Pirates! But the perception persists that if other teams would want Reynolds and Bednar, they will get them ASAP.
ChillinStation

Deadline watch

Post by ChillinStation »

I wouldn`t be to upset if the Pirates trade Bednar.

But I want the Pirates to target MLB ready players. Not another A ball guy.

We could go after Miguel Andujar from Yankees who is crushing the AAA . He just needs to get another chance . Seems to be all healed up and in his prime. He can play LF/3B/1B.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Deadline watch

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1F3435303035320F283D283533325C0 wrote: I wouldn`t be to upset if the Pirates trade Bednar.

[highlight]But I want the Pirates to target MLB ready players. Not another A ball guy.[/highlight]

We could go after Miguel Andujar from Yankees who is crushing the AAA . He just needs to get another chance . Seems to be all healed up and in his prime. He can play OF/3B/1B.

Absolutely. I only want major league-ready players coming back in trades now. Unfortunately, BC has no one but Reynolds to deal in order to get that kind of return (unless a GM is really desperate for lefthanded pitching). But I'd rather keep Reynolds because we already know he's an All Star caliber player.
ChillinStation

Deadline watch

Post by ChillinStation »

The catcher Sean Murphy in Oakland would be a nice grab. Still has 3 years of control. Could solidify the position until Davis is ready. Davis you have to think will start back in AA next season after missing most of this year.

Marcano, Swag , Bae , Suwinski, Mitchell, Peguero, Dariel Lopez could maybe interest A`s . We have some chips.
Bobster21

Deadline watch

Post by Bobster21 »

5C0 wrote: Doesn't help fan/media perception when the FO's male admirers reflexively bash players getting close to a nice raise in arbitration or free agency in a couple years. They'd rather have a bunch of mediocre pantloads with years of control remaining.

"The upside of years of control. Wow. So you mean this guy isn't just mediocre but might be here for a while? Where do I buy tickets? I cannot believe that in an environment where fans are hyper-sensitive to the Pirates' miserly ways, a team executive would cite years of contractual control as part of the 'upside' in acquiring a no-pedigree pitcher." - Tribune-Review

Don't know whose quote that was from the Trib but years of control are important to all 30 MLB teams. However, I understand the sentiment that controlling a below average player for several years is not a plus. But a rebuilding team must consider that issue because rebuilding takes several years at least.

In the case of the Pirates, they have to anticipate how the roster will be performing several years down the road as prospects begin to get their feet wet at the MLB level this year, with more just a year or 2 behind. So it matters that Reynolds isn't a FA until 2026 and Bednar not until 2027. A team can't just keep throwing prospects out there and hoping for the best. When they find some who excel, they have to make them cornerstones of the team. If they trade 2 probable cornerstones to put more prospects back at the end of the line, it will be evidence that there is no real plan to ever be competitive.
3pirates3

Deadline watch

Post by 3pirates3 »

"A team can't just keep throwing prospects out there and hoping for the best."

The Pirates love throwing guys out there and have them "learning at the major league level".

"I think every contender is going to get a reliever because the way teams look at relievers now is kind of the way NFL teams look at running backs, in that they’re effectively disposable.

And so, if someone has a reliever who’s good in the moment, David Bednar of the Pirates is one, Joe Mantiply of the Diamondbacks is another, those teams are not looking at those players as building blocks, they’re looking at them as assets and want to take advantage of their value as soon as possible." - Olney

"Sources: Tigers willing to trade Tarik Skubal and 'just about everyone.'" - Rosenthal

"Left-hander Jose Quintana is drawing interest from the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox, among others, sources said." - Murray
ChillinStation

Deadline watch

Post by ChillinStation »

Boring !

Trade Deadline is a favorite part of the year for me.

I want some action on the Pirate front.

Niko Kavadas 1b/DH class A+ in the RSox system.

Go get him BC, offer up Bae or Marcano.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Deadline watch

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Benintendi goes to the Yankees. Is it me or does it seem like they have a 35-man roster? Looks like Joey Gallo, who gets one hit a week (granted, it travels 800 feet), will be the odd man out.
Bobster21

Deadline watch

Post by Bobster21 »

287E687C736979727F685A7D777B737634791A0 wrote: Benintendi goes to the Yankees.  Is it me or does it seem like they have a 35-man roster?  Looks like Joey Gallo, who gets one hit a week (granted, it travels 800 feet), will be the odd man out.
Maybe Gallo can revive his career somewhere else but going to the Yankees may have killed it. He never hit for average but had a career best .253 in 2019. His 2nd best is .209. But he hit HRs and walked a lot. At the time of the trade last year he was hitting .223 for Texas with a OBP of .379. But he completely failed with NY. For the remainder of 2021 he hit .160 and his OBP fell to .303. So his combined BA for last year was only .199. This year he's hitting .161 and walking less often for a OBP of .285. Only 12 HRs and striking out in 45% of his ABs. At this point he won't even have much trade value. NY would probably have to pay most of the remainder of his 10.2 million salary for this year to trade him and he's a free agent next year.