Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Vin Scully passes away

Post by Surgnbuck »

ArnoldRothstein

Vin Scully passes away

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

RIP.

Growing up on Bob Prince, I never "got" Scully. As dissimilar as announcers could be.
Ecbucs

Vin Scully passes away

Post by Ecbucs »

05362A2B2820162B302C3730212D2A440 wrote: RIP.

Growing up on Bob Prince, I never "got" Scully. As dissimilar as announcers could be.

I liked Scully on game of the week and for NFL but wouldn't have trade Prince for him and announcer to be named later.

I saw them on the Tomorrow show with Tom Snyder and Snyder was commenting on how Vin wasn't a homer.

Bob Prince said something and then asked Scully about his Dodgers World Series ring to imply that Vin was at least a marginal homer (which makes sense since local broadcasters are broadcasting to the team's fans).
Bobster21

Vin Scully passes away

Post by Bobster21 »

5A7C7D6A7C6C1F0 wrote: RIP.

I liked Scully on game of the week and for NFL but wouldn't have trade Prince for him and announcer to be named later.

I saw them on the Tomorrow show with Tom Snyder and Snyder was commenting on how Vin wasn't a homer.

Bob Prince said something and then asked Scully about his Dodgers World Series ring to imply that Vin was at least a marginal homer (which makes sense since local broadcasters are broadcasting to the team's fans).
I think the homer concept has changed over the years. Prince was widely known for that. But all he did was openly root for the Pirates to win. Today, every team's announcers do that. Some are more objective about their team than others. Some will never be critical and praise their team endlessly. The Nats do that. To me, that's the new "homer" since you won't find any announcers who don't openly root for their team.
Surgnbuck

Vin Scully passes away

Post by Surgnbuck »

62514D4C4F47714C574B5057464A4D230 wrote: RIP.

I got to listen to both quite extensively. We always camped out in PA when my dad was overseas. He and I were stationed out West quite a bit. I lived 17 years in Southern California. It was a treat to listen to not only Vin Scully, but Dick Enberg also doing the Angels games.

Loved all three. Why people want to put one over the other is beyond me. Prince was clearly a regional thing, because he never caught on with the national audience when he had his chances.

Scully and Enberg were clearly better broadcasters. But that doesn't mean Prince wasn't a king.
JollyRoger

Vin Scully passes away

Post by JollyRoger »

With all do respect to Bob Prince and Mike Lange who supplied us with great catch phrases; I was fortunate to have grown up listening to Vin Scully. He was not just an announcer but an artist that could verbally paint a picture for your imagination to see. He was also impartial in his broadcasts (certainly not a homer) which I appreciated being a Pirate fan. In LA we had in my opinion the greatest announcers in baseball, hockey, and basketball in Vin Scully-Dodgers, Dick Enberg-Angels, Bob Miller- Kings and Chick Hearn- Lakers
UtahPirate

Vin Scully passes away

Post by UtahPirate »

One of the great things about the movie For the Love of the Game is Scully's narration. He will truly be missed, but what a great life he had!
INbuc

Vin Scully passes away

Post by INbuc »

As a kid I used to watch Scully and Joe Garagiolo on the game of the week. Garagiola was funny and sometimes I felt like Scully was stealing too much air time from Joe.

About 2014 or so I subscribed to Extra Innings or the MLB Network. After watching 100 or so Pirate games, one night I decided to watch one of the other random games at my disposal—the Dodgers and Padres. Scully broadcasted alone. After just one game, and after all those years, I finally realized what an absolute master Scully was at his craft.