Clemente

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Clemente

Post by Surgnbuck »

Shame on all of us for not starting a thread on Clemente Day. Just saw a post on FB from baseball reference. com regarding WAR.

WAR is calculated using hitting, fielding, and running stats and converting them into runs. Now I don't know the first thing about calculating WAR, I think it is foreign to most of us. Not even really sure how accurate it is, but at the very least, the eye test matches the stats, meaning the players we can see that are the best of the best do have the highest WAR.

Anyhow, according to the post, Clemente is the only player in baseball history with at least 200 batting runs, 200 fielding runs, and 20 baserunning runs.

IDK what that means, but it certainly proves Clemente was truly the Great One!!!
Bobster21

Clemente

Post by Bobster21 »

75535441484453454D260 wrote: Shame on all of us for not starting a thread on Clemente Day. Just saw a post on FB from baseball reference. com regarding WAR.

WAR  is calculated using hitting, fielding, and running stats and converting them into runs. Now I don't know the first thing about calculating WAR, I think it is foreign to most of us. Not even really sure how accurate it is, but at the very least, the eye test matches the stats, meaning the players we can see that are the best of the best do have the highest WAR.

Anyhow, according to the post, Clemente is the only player in baseball history with at least 200 batting runs, 200 fielding runs, and 20 baserunning runs.

IDK what that means, but it certainly proves Clemente was truly the Great One!!!
I've never been a fan of WAR. Ugh! What is it good for? :)

But I agree it usually confirms the eye test. The best players have the highest scores. I think a newer generation of fans wanted to quantify everything so formulas were devised to speculate as to how many runs a player is worth and then how many runs equals a win and compare that to a fictitious "replacement player."

https://www.instructables.com/Calculati ... Per%20Win).

I love how the article says the formula is not complicated.

But after all those calculations, they ascertain that Clemente was a great player. We coulda told 'em that in a fraction of the time and without a calculator.

;)

DemDog

Clemente

Post by DemDog »

Geesh, all that crazy math is too tough for me to do. I bet could give the info to my 11 yr old granddaughter to work with and she could explain it to me. She and her Mom are Bucs fans from Chicagoland.
UtahPirate

Clemente

Post by UtahPirate »

A new grandson decided to make his appearance on Clemente Day, which I had a lot of fun with given my life-long admiration of The Great One - which my family knows well.

Pushing to get him named Roberto and posting old Clemente clips (and that great one with Roberto Jr and RC III at Citifield) was a ton of fun. Didn't get my way but Remy Kinohi (Hawaiian for "The First") is happy and healthy.

His dad Tyler (the first Kinohi - my wife has some Hawaiian ancestry and is from Hawaii) was born in 1979 - bringing our family the mojo needed for the Bucs last Series championship. Now Tyler is a die-hard Seattle fan and I'm hoping the same luck strikes for his Mariners that struck for me the year of his birth.