Newman Trade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Newman Trade

Post by mouse »

Newman traded to the Reds for a relief pitcher - Dauri Moreta. This should open some room for one of the younger middle infielders to make the team this spring.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2022/1 ... -reds.html
3pirates3

Newman Trade

Post by 3pirates3 »

2drfischer@gmail.c

Newman Trade

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Two shortstops (Newman and Tucker) drafted in the first round in recent years and, except for one good season, little in the way of production came from either.
Osushawn

Newman Trade

Post by Osushawn »

05465F445742534505360 wrote: https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... reta000dau

10 HR's allowed in 38.1 innings.

Not too concerned seeing he was giving them up in Cincy. Have to assume some of those would be outs
Surgnbuck

Newman Trade

Post by Surgnbuck »

I find it interesting the Pirates tendered Newman a contract before he was traded. They obviously had some designs to keep him in Pittsburgh
Bobster21

Newman Trade

Post by Bobster21 »

5F797E6B626E796F670C0 wrote: I find it interesting the Pirates tendered Newman a contract before he was traded. They obviously had some designs to keep him in Pittsburgh
If they had nontendered him, he would have become a free agent. So they took the course of action that would permit them to trade him.
MaineBucs

Newman Trade

Post by MaineBucs »

Well, it sure looks like Cruz is now the starting shortstop for the immediate future.

I always liked Kevin Newman, but his lack of offense (nearly worst in the league for 2 seasons) and the number of minor/major league infielders in the system made this a relatively easy decision for BC. And, with the Reds' decision to send Farmer to the Twins, their ability to immediately obtain Newman for someone who is likely a fungible reliever opened the door for BC to make a quick trade.

I also note that the Pirate 40 man roster has experienced a lot of turn-over in the past 3 weeks. The acquisition of Choi (a trade I am not thrilled with), claiming Vilade (someone will need to explain this one to me) on waivers, designating 6 players (Delay, Solomon, Collins, Cederlind, Sulser, and Stout), reactivating players from the 60 day injured list (who were on the roster), then designating another 4 players (Heineman, Fernandez, Beasely, and Baneulos) as they added 4 players (Rodriguez, Triolo, Selby, and Burrows), and now the trade of Newman and adding Moreto.

In short, a roster turn-over of about 30% in 3 weeks, and with the exception of Choi, none of the added players may make the 26 man roster come April. Perhaps BC has decided to compete with Eon Musk (but, hopefully with more fore-thought and better results).
Ecbucs

Newman Trade

Post by Ecbucs »

5D6167617A73657C120 wrote: https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... reta000dau

10 HR's allowed in 38.1 innings.

Not too concerned seeing he was giving them up in Cincy.  Have to assume some of those would be outs

we will see, his road stats are certainly better but he gave up 3 homers in 15 road innings.
WildwoodDave2

Newman Trade

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

386E786C637969626F784A6D676B636624690A0 wrote: Two shortstops (Newman and Tucker) drafted in the first round in recent years and, except for one good season, little in the way of production came from either.   
I assume the GM was Huntington
SyrBucco

Newman Trade

Post by SyrBucco »

7B575F585374435545360 wrote: Well, it sure looks like Cruz is now the starting shortstop for the immediate future.

I always liked Kevin Newman, but his lack of offense (nearly worst in the league for 2 seasons) and the number of minor/major league infielders in the system made this a relatively easy decision for BC.  And, with the Reds' decision to send Farmer to the Twins, their ability to immediately obtain Newman for someone who is likely a fungible reliever opened the door for BC to make a quick trade.   

I also note that the Pirate 40 man roster has experienced a lot of turn-over in the past 3 weeks.  The acquisition of Choi (a trade I am not thrilled with), claiming Vilade (someone will need to explain this one to me) on waivers, designating 6 players (Delay, Solomon, Collins, Cederlind, Sulser, and Stout), reactivating players from the 60 day injured list (who were on the roster), then designating another 4 players (Heineman, Fernandez, Beasely, and Baneulos) as they added 4 players (Rodriguez, Triolo, Selby, and Burrows), and now the trade of Newman and adding Moreto.

In short, a roster turn-over of about 30% in 3 weeks, and with the exception of Choi, none of the added players may make the 26 man roster come April.   Perhaps BC has decided to compete with Eon Musk (but, hopefully with more fore-thought and better results).   
Mainer, I'm downright angry about the so-called Newman trade, which I think should be called the salary dump it most certainly was. The Reds reliever doesn't thrill me. Here are four reasons why this move sucked:

1. Newman was the best defensive shortstop/2nd baseman on our roster. With the new no-shift rule, he would be more valuable next year for his defense than ever before.

2. Newman hit left-handed pitching pretty well. He had the highest batting average and OBP of any 2022 Pirate with over 10 at bats. He was a good leadoff hitter.

3. Newman had the highest batting average on the team after the All Star break (all players over 35 at bats). In other words, he was not regressing - he was getting better.

4. Newman was, by all accounts, a good teammate who provided some veteran leadership in the clubhouse. He worked hard to improve his weaknesses as a player.

I've been the president of the Kevin Newman Fan Club here at OnlyBucs for a few years now. Everybody has a player on their favorite team who they especially like even when there are logical reasons to like others much more. For me, Newman was that guy. I expect that he will do very well at the Cinci bandbox. They will appreciate his defense. We will miss that skill and his penchant for walkoffs.