Offseason Outlook: Pittsburgh Pirates (MLBTR)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I like this thread and I think I will pin it to the top of the forum for future discussion of the Bucs off-season and what we think should be going on in the Bucs world.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I found it curious that Cruz was described as "still above average at the dish overall, hitting .233/.294/.450." Seems odd that MLBTR considered that line above average. Only the SLG of .450 was above the league average. The BA and OBP were both below league average. I guess slugging is everything to MLBTR.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: I found it curious that Cruz was described as "still above average at the dish overall, hitting .233/.294/.450."

The sentence concludes "...for a wRC+ of 106." The 106 is what's above average, it's a Runs Created Index.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

487B6766656D5B667D617A7D6C6067090 wrote: I found it curious that Cruz was described as "still above average at the dish overall, hitting .233/.294/.450."

The sentence concludes "...for a wRC+ of 106." The 106 is what's above average, it's a Runs Created Index.
Ok. Sounds like one of the modern abstract stats that we can't compute and have to take a numbers crunchers word for. What I can actually see is that Cruz hits safely less frequently and reaches base less frequently than the NL average.
Javy

Post by Javy »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: I found it curious that Cruz was described as "still above average at the dish overall, hitting .233/.294/.450."

Ok. Sounds like one of the modern abstract stats that we can't compute and have to take a numbers crunchers word for. What I can actually see is that Cruz hits safely less frequently and reaches base less frequently than the NL average.

What we fans see, using the time honored "eye test", is a .233 hitting, error prone, but bazooka armed, shortstop who has good to great speed, but doesn't have the experience needed to steal bases effectively (when he gets on).

We also see a hitter who has tremendous power, but strikes out a lot (too much), doesn't get on base enough either via walks or getting timely hits. :-/

In our day, we would say that that prospect gets maybe another year to develop defensively but will likely switch positions. If the offensive output didn't improve, we would see that player as a utility/bench guy, until his contract expired and we moved on. :-/

Today, with the cottage industry of analytics, we have a budding superstar! (Maybe we do, and maybe we don't) ;)
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

66474F664D45220 wrote: I like this thread and I think I will pin it to the top of the forum for future discussion of the Bucs off-season and what we think should be going on in the Bucs world.
Great idea.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Cruz’s defense concerns me more than his hitting. I think he’ll develop as a power hitter rather than a hitter with a high batting average, and that’s fine, if he can be a 30 HR guy.

I don’t know if he’ll ever be trustworthy as a defender, especially at shortstop. I’d bring him to Bradenton for a week before Spring Training to start working with him to take over in RF or at 1B, whichever he can grasp best. I think I’d prefer him in RF.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1244524649534348455260474D41494C0E43200 wrote: Cruz’s defense concerns me more than his hitting.  I think he’ll develop as a power hitter rather than a hitter with a high batting average, and that’s fine, if he can be a 30 HR guy.

I don’t know if he’ll ever be trustworthy as a defender, especially at shortstop.  I’d bring him to Bradenton for a week before Spring Training to start working with him to take over in RF or at 1B, whichever he can grasp best.  I think I’d prefer him in RF.
I'm betting he's their SS for the vast majority of 2023. Remember, for all his defensive flaws, there's always DH
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The price of business just looks more and more hopeless for Bucs fans. Rookie Spencer Strider signs 6 year, 75 million dollar deal. So if they want to sign Roansy long term, there's your ballpark figure.