Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

John Jaso's retirement makes the New York Times

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

No More Spring Trainings https://nyti.ms/3RVEQTa
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I saw that article and found it to be very interesting. The guy certainly lives a different lifestyle. I wonder if all the concussions he had as a catcher did something to his brain.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

He listened to our announcers too much.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6B4A426B40482F0 wrote: I saw that article and found it to be very interesting.  The guy certainly lives a different lifestyle.  I wonder if all the concussions he had as a catcher did something to his brain. 
He always was a free spirit. Seems very content with his life style
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

46676F466D65020 wrote: I saw that article and found it to be very interesting.  The guy certainly lives a different lifestyle.  I wonder if all the concussions he had as a catcher did something to his brain. 

I read the article yesterday, too, and was happy for him. He was able to walk away from baseball without being depressed or upset about it and has found a passion to replace it. He sounds like a pretty mentally healthy guy to me.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

After being released following a season as an OFer/1Bman hitting .211 with a career high of only 10 HRs, it was more like baseball walked away from Jaso rather than the other way around.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: After being released following a season as an OFer/1Bman hitting .211 with a career high of only 10 HRs, it was more like baseball walked away from Jaso rather than the other way around.

But as the article said, some GM would've likely offered him another opportunity and, with his years in the league, he could've made several million dollars more. But his answer was that he'd already made multiple millions and was content with that.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: After being released following a season as an OFer/1Bman hitting .211 with a career high of only 10 HRs, it was more like baseball walked away from Jaso rather than the other way around.

he would have been one of the Bucs best hitters if he did that in 2022.

he did have a very bad second half in his last season but didn't play much either.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2E786E7A756F7F74796E5C7B717D7570327F1C0 wrote: After being released following a season as an OFer/1Bman hitting .211 with a career high of only 10 HRs, it was more like baseball walked away from Jaso rather than the other way around.

But as the article said, some GM would've likely offered him another opportunity and, with his years in the league, he could've made several million dollars more.  But his answer was that he'd already made multiple millions and was content with that.
I doubt he would have been offered several million and was not even sure to make a team. At that point, he was a light hitting, weak fielding 34 year old OF/1B with a history of concussions and there's not a lot of call for that. I don't doubt he could have received non-roster invites to ST and might have received a little more than the minimum if he could make a team. But his prospects were not good and I think he chose to end his career at the right time rather than try to hang on somewhere. Sounds like he's happy with his choice. Good for him!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: After being released following a season as an OFer/1Bman hitting .211 with a career high of only 10 HRs, it was more like baseball walked away from Jaso rather than the other way around.

But as the article said, some GM would've likely offered him another opportunity and, with his years in the league, he could've made several million dollars more.  But his answer was that he'd already made multiple millions and was content with that.
I doubt he would have been offered several million and was not even sure to make a team. At that point, he was a light hitting, weak fielding 34 year old OF/1B with a history of concussions and there's not a lot of call for that. I don't doubt he could have received non-roster invites to ST and might have received a little more than the minimum if he could make a team. But his prospects were not good and I think he chose to end his career at the right time rather than try to hang on somewhere. Sounds like he's happy with his choice. Good for him!
Agree Bobster. The article also hinted at the fact that he made some wise property investments. Hey he made it to the Majors and played. He wanted to pursue another passion and like you said he seems happy with his choice