3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B

4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B

5. Willson Contreras (R) C

6. Nolan Gorman (L) DH

7. Tyler O'Neill (R) LF

8. Dylan Carlson (S) CF

9. Tommy Edman (S) SS

Jake Woodford (R) SP

There is no rhyme or reason that Mathias should be on this team and the same goes for Suwinski. Bring up Swaggerty and Tupacano.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Official Game Thread - 4/14 - Bucs @ Cards

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

02232B022921460 wrote: Bucs

1. Ji Hwan Bae (L) SS

2. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) DH

4. Ji-Man Choi (L) 1B

5. Jack Suwinski (L) CF

6. Rodolfo Castro (S) 3B

7. Canaan Smith-Njigba (L) RF

8. Mark Mathias (R) 2B

9. Austin Hedges (R) C

Johan Oviedo (R) SP

Cards

1. Brendan Donovan (L) 2B

2. Alec Burleson (L) RF

3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B

4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B

5. Willson Contreras (R) C

6. Nolan Gorman (L) DH

7. Tyler O'Neill (R) LF

8. Dylan Carlson (S) CF

9. Tommy Edman (S) SS

Jake Woodford (R) SP

There is no rhyme or reason that Mathias should be on this team and the same goes for Suwinski.  Bring up Swaggerty and Tupacano.

I’m not surprised that Mathias is playing.  It’s typical Shelton (see Josh Van Meter).  What is surprising, and not typical, is Bae playing the next night after his big game.  I didn’t think we’d see him again until Sunday.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's mind boggling. Choi (.125) finally had 2 good games, homering on both Monday and Tuesday and was then benched vs a RHP on Wednesday. After cooling off his bat with an 0 for 5 yesterday, he's now back as the cleanup hitter. But he'll see plenty of good pitches tonight because the St.L. pitchers will fear Suwinski (.130) batting behind him.

Can't argue with Hayes getting a game off. He's started every one so far and is hitting .157. Of course, that 157 points hire than Mathias. He's been a brilliant addition to the team. And CSN (.167) starts because Connor Joe's HR last night earned him a seat on the bench tonight.

Joe is batting .391. He started games 2 & 3, going 3 for 7 and was benched for the next 3 games. He started game 7 and got 4 hits. He was benched for the next 2 games. He had 2 hits with a HR last night and is benched tonight.

It's great to be 8-5 but this kind of managing is scary. Their .231 team BA is 26th in MLB. In their 5 losses, they've scored more than 2 runs just once. And in one of their wins they had only 1 run and 2 hits. The pitching has kept them in games so hopefully, that will continue. But these lineups often look like a joke. Oh well, as long as they win. :-?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

426F62737465723231000 wrote: It's mind boggling. Choi (.125) finally had 2 good games, homering on both Monday and Tuesday and was then benched vs a RHP on Wednesday. After cooling off his bat with an 0 for 5 yesterday, he's now back as the cleanup hitter. But he'll see plenty of good pitches tonight because the St.L. pitchers will fear Suwinski (.130) batting behind him.

Can't argue with Hayes getting a game off. He's started every one so far and is hitting .157. Of course, that 157 points hire than Mathias. He's been a brilliant addition to the team. And CSN (.167) starts because Connor Joe's HR last night earned him a seat on the bench tonight.

Joe is batting .391. He started games 2 & 3, going 3 for 7 and was benched for the next 3 games. He started game 7 and got 4 hits. He was benched for the next 2 games. He had 2 hits with a HR last night and is benched tonight.

It's great to be 8-5 but this kind of managing is scary. Their .231 team BA is 26th in MLB. In their 5 losses, they've scored more than 2 runs just once. And in one of their wins they had only 1 run and 2 hits. The pitching has kept them in games so hopefully, that will continue. But these lineups often look like a joke. Oh well, as long as they win.  :-?

There isn’t enough space on the Internet to mention and discuss Shelton’s hare brained moves.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

But nothing. We're 8 and 5. There aren't any style points in baseball. The Pirates don't need to be perfect, play perfectly, or be managed perfectly. All the Pirates need to do is be better than the mediocre and sometimes bad teams they're playing on any night.

If I was a St. Louis Cardinals fan (I'm not, but I respect them) I would be a lot more "scared" at the moment. They're 5 and 8, and it should be expected that they would be better.

We've won 8 of the first thirteen games of the season while missing a SP and a position player.

Though I'm no fan of either Shelton or Cherington, I'll choose some other time to bang on them.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2C7A6C78776D7D767B6C5E79737F7772307D1E0 wrote: It's mind boggling. Choi (.125) finally had 2 good games, homering on both Monday and Tuesday and was then benched vs a RHP on Wednesday. After cooling off his bat with an 0 for 5 yesterday, he's now back as the cleanup hitter. But he'll see plenty of good pitches tonight because the St.L. pitchers will fear Suwinski (.130) batting behind him.

It's great to be 8-5 but this kind of managing is scary. Their .231 team BA is 26th in MLB. In their 5 losses, they've scored more than 2 runs just once. And in one of their wins they had only 1 run and 2 hits. The pitching has kept them in games so hopefully, that will continue. But these lineups often look like a joke. Oh well, as long as they win.  :-?

There isn’t enough space on the Internet to mention and discuss Shelton’s hare brained moves.
Good news for you doc. Article in the PG today saying that

they expect Shelton will be rehired
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

He'll be extended much sooner than any player who immediately comes to mind. And, that won't be his fault. He has superiors who make that decision.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0035222229102222292E22470 wrote: But nothing.  We're 8 and 5.  There aren't any style points in baseball.  The Pirates don't need to be perfect, play perfectly, or be managed perfectly.  All the Pirates need to do is be better than the mediocre and sometimes bad teams they're playing on any night.

If I was a St. Louis Cardinals fan (I'm not, but I respect them) I would be a lot more "scared" at the moment.  They're 5 and 8, and it should be expected that they would be better.

We've won 8 of the first thirteen games of the season while missing a SP and a position player. 

Though I'm no fan of either Shelton or Cherington, I'll choose some other time to bang on them.
I hear ya. 8-5 is 8-5. I guess it's because there's a game nearly every day that a team's performance can be looked at both in terms of immediate result and what it suggests for subsequent games. For instance, last Sunday they used what looked like a JV lineup. It mustered just 2 hits and 1 run. But they won, 1-0! Great job! But moving forward, that's not a lineup likely to win more games. Winning 8 of 13 is a small scale success. But projecting over a 162 game season, the often head scratching style of management doesn't inspire confidence for the long haul. But hopefully, after tonight's game, I'll be pleasantly surprised at the result with a 9-5 record.   
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

536D6860736B6B604065726136040 wrote: It's mind boggling. Choi (.125) finally had 2 good games, homering on both Monday and Tuesday and was then benched vs a RHP on Wednesday. After cooling off his bat with an 0 for 5 yesterday, he's now back as the cleanup hitter. But he'll see plenty of good pitches tonight because the St.L. pitchers will fear Suwinski (.130) batting behind him.

Good news for you doc. Article in the PG today saying that

they expect Shelton will be rehired
I don't think Shelton makes many decisions. It seems to be the way of MLB these days with GMs calling most of the game day shots that managers used to be responsible for. If BC is doing a lot of the game day managing, there's no reason to replace Shelton. A new manager would appear to be making the same decisions that Shelton "made."
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Obviously, I understand the concerns.

But, things are what they are.

To each his own, but I question some of the timing here.

We're unhappy when we're losing.

Now, we're unhappy while we're winning. @@@@

I don't get it, and I've been as direct- and, consistently pointed as anyone.

Does the team have flaws? Of course, it does. Opponents have flaws, too. That's one reason we have a decent start.

I'm choosing not to bitch about it now. Doesn't make sense to.

Even if it did, it isn't Shelton's fault that he's the manager. And, I believe that he has the full support of those he reports to.