Some thoughts after great first month…

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s currently May 1st right now and the Pirates are 20-9 so even if the Pirates let’s say hypothetically go 66-67 the rest of the way and play a game under .500 they will win 86 games and finish 10 games over .500 and probably make the playoffs. So still very very early but at this point this team is in excellent shape to be right there for one of the 6 playoff spots if they can simply play around .500 the rest of the season. They are in pretty good shape right now in the NL Central as well. The Cubs are 5 games back and while they are improved I don’t think they are a serious threat, the Reds are about 8 games back and stink and I don’t think will be any threat to the Pirates, and what is really important I think is the Cardinals are 10 games back of the Pirates. So they have created some very good separation between themselves and at least 3 teams in the division. The Cardinals are in trouble right now being 10 games back I feel. That’s not a deficit you are just gonna make up overnight.

It’s gonna take the Cardinals playing great baseball and the Pirates really slipping up for them to realistically get back in the NL Central race. That’s why the Pirates need to continue to do everything they can to continue to absolutely bury the Cubs, Reds, and Cards and make this a two team race in this division between themselves and the Brewers. So you gotta feel very good if you’re a Pirates fan like we all are so far about this team and their chances to contend in this division the rest of the season.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Do they really want to just play for a wild-card spot? I say go for the NL Central crown at least and whatever happens after that is gravy.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5C7D755C777F180 wrote: Do they really want to just play for a wild-card spot?  I say go for the NL Central crown at least and whatever happens after that is gravy. 
That's right Possum- Go for it! I am delighted that the Cardinals are currently dead last in the division. See what the absence of Kolton Wong has done
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

While I’m really encouraged by what the Pirates have done, I’m still realistic. Just as they achieved a 20-9 record, they’re capable of reversing that, like all young, inexperienced teams can do. It’s a long season, which makes low points a probability.

I would never discount the Cardinals. That’s been one of baseball’s best organizations for almost a century. There are still five months left and they’re 10 games back. They only need to make-up one game every two weeks the rest of the way. If the Pirates hit a two week skid at the same time St. Louis goes on a winning streak, that 10 game lead can be all but eliminated.

That’s not to say that’s what I think will happen. This team has already shown it’s not the same as what we’ve witnessed since 2016. But a full season of baseball is full of ups and downs, changes, and surprises. I believe this year is more about them learning to compete over six full months, how to handle those ups and downs. That’s why having veterans like McCutchen and Santana can be so important.

I think a handful of their best players are still in the minor leagues. When they arrive later this year and over the next three, the guys here now will have created a winning atmosphere into which the new guys can acclimate quickly. It’s the next six years I’m really excited about. I believe this has been Cherington’s plan the whole time and, if this first month of this season is any indication, it’s on track. What good they accomplish here in ‘23 just whets the appetite.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

297F697D726878737E695B7C767A727735781B0 wrote: While I’m really encouraged by what the Pirates have done, I’m still realistic.  Just as they achieved a 20-9 record, they’re capable of reversing that, like all young, inexperienced teams can do.  It’s a long season, which makes low points a probability.

I would never discount the Cardinals.  That’s been one of baseball’s best organizations for almost a century.  There are still five months left and they’re 10 games back.  They only need to make-up one game every two weeks the rest of the way.  If the Pirates hit a two week skid at the same time St. Louis goes on a winning streak, that 10 game lead can be all but eliminated.

That’s not to say that’s what I think will happen.  This team has already shown it’s not the same as what we’ve witnessed since 2016.  But a full season of baseball is full of ups and downs, changes, and surprises.  I believe this year is more about them learning to compete over six full months, how to handle those ups and downs.  That’s why having veterans like McCutchen and Santana can be so important.

I think a handful of their best players are still in the minor leagues.  When they arrive later this year and over the next three, the guys here now will have created a winning atmosphere into which the new guys can acclimate quickly.  It’s the next six years I’m really excited about.  I believe this has been Cherington’s plan the whole time and, if this first month of this season is any indication, it’s on track.  What good they accomplish here in ‘23 just whets the appetite.

I agree with this. It's hard not to be excited for what the future holds for this team. Plus, it's very likely they add Dylan Crews to the mix in a few months. Obviously, people don't always live up to the hype, but he sure sounds like the real deal.

If and when they hit a rough patch though, remember, the 1992 Bucs started 23-10, and then proceeded to lose 11 of 12. They were 24-21, and wound up winning 96 games and their last division title.

Not saying this team will do the same, but they almost certainly will hit a rough spot this year. It may bury them like 2012. It may not like 1992. Regardless, they've set themselves up to be playing meaningful baseball well into the summer. Usually, the season's over by now.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

What I like most about the start is the starting pitching. Every starter has been effective fairly consistently thru about 6 innings. Hitters can go hot or cold but when pitchers establish consistency, there's usually a reason. So they are less likely to suddenly lose it. I also like how the SPs are being handled this year. Too often in recent years, the SPs have been pulled from effective starts for no apparent reason. Last year, some SPs were denied wins because they weren't even allowed to finish the 5th inning with the lead. Even allowing a baserunner by error on a routine play was cause for removal before the 6th inning ended. Those things unwisely send a message to the SP that he can't be trusted to go any further. This year, SPs have often gone 6 or into the 7th and have been allowed to get out of jams. That can only inspire confidence. And it saves needless wear and tear on the bullpen. As a result, the BP has done well.

I also like that the lineups are being managed differently. In recent seasons, it seemed that rest was prioritized over trying to win. Too often it seemed that the weakest possible lineups were used and a good day at the plate was usually rewarded with a seat on the bench the next day. This season, hot hitters continue to play and the mind numbingly idiotic decisions of recent seasons have been refreshingly absent.

My biggest concern is the hitting. Cutch, Santana and Joe have been instrumental to the fast start. But all 3 appear to be playing over their heads. Cutch and Santana have been in steady decline the past couple years and Joe has never performed so well. So a significant decline would not be unexpected. But it doesn't have to happen. Maybe the change of scenery is good for Cutch and Santana. And maybe Joe is a late bloomer (Bill Robinson and Mike Easler were). And Hayes seems to be heating up and maybe Andujar will be a steady contributor. And there's reason to believe Castro and Suwinski are legit hitters, as their stats indicate. And Bae adds a lot to the offense.

And a word about the catching. Hedges cannot hit MLB pitching. Never has, never will. His career year was 2018 when he hit .231. In the subsequent years, his best was .178 in 2021. He's currently at .150 and that seems about right for him. But catchers are instrumental to good pitching and Hedges has to get credit for how well the pitchers are doing. He's an automatic out in the lineup but the tradeoff is how well the pitchers are doing. OTOH, Jason Delay is also solid behind the plate and is currently hitting .390. He was a career .226 hitter in the minors and batted .213 for the Bucs last year. But he's putting the ball in play (only 5 Ks in 47 PAs) and getting lucky. As they say, "better to be lucky than good." When the Pirates had Chris Stewart, he was a notoriously poor hitting catcher. But for the Bucs in 2014 and 2015 he batted .294 and .289. Every weak ground ball found a hole and every soft line drive made it over an infielder's head. And the 2016 and 2017 he reverted to form by hitting .214 and .183. But maybe Delay can have one of those seasons where he gets inexplicably lucky all year.

I guess I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but I can see reasons why that doesn't have to happen.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

The Litmus Test for us to really get a feel for this team and the remainder of the season is coming up.

Rays - 3

Jays - 3

Rockies - 3

O's -3

So 9 against the best of the AL East right now. It will be very interesting to see how we do. We really haven't been tested yet.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

0627323B033A21322736530 wrote: The Litmus Test for us to really get a feel for this team and the remainder of the season is coming up.

Rays - 3

Jays - 3

Rockies - 3

O's -3

So 9 against the best of the AL East right now. It will be very interesting to see how we do. We really haven't been tested yet.

I'll be very pleased if they go 6-6 in this stretch. I'd love to see 7-5 or 8-4, but I also think that's a lot to realistically ask. 6-6 puts them at 26-15, a 103 win pace. Yeah, we can definitely live with that.

Also, we're three weeks closer to getting Cruz and to a lesser extent Choi back. Cruz is supposed to be healthy in early July, probably go on a minor league rehab assignment, then potentially be up in Pittsburgh in early August. Let's just say for the sake of argument that they hang around until then. Adding Cruz could potentially be like adding a legit middle of the order bat at the trade deadline. Just saying...and dreaming...
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Dreaming of sugarplums in my head, hell yeah but what DOC said is spot on.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4B4340776144636C020 wrote: The Litmus Test for us to really get a feel for this team and the remainder of the season is coming up.

Rays - 3

Jays - 3

Rockies - 3

O's -3

I'll be very pleased if they go 6-6 in this stretch. I'd love to see 7-5 or 8-4, but I also think that's a lot to realistically ask. 6-6 puts them at 26-15, a 103 win pace. Yeah, we can definitely live with that.

Also, we're three weeks closer to getting Cruz and to a lesser extent Choi back. Cruz is supposed to be healthy in early July, probably go on a minor league rehab assignment, then potentially be up in Pittsburgh in early August. Let's just say for the sake of argument that they hang around until then. Adding Cruz could potentially be like adding a legit middle of the order bat at the trade deadline. Just saying...and dreaming...

pretty amazing start, in NL the Pirates are second in runs, 4th in batting average, second in oba, slugging and ops, first in steals.

Pitching is: second in ERA, first in fewest homers allowed.

There are some up and downs to come but at least getting off to such a good start has to help these players see what they are capable of doing (and it is a lot more than I expected this season)