Underwood DFA

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Underwood DFA

Post by MaineBucs »

The Pirates have designated Underwood and reinstated Velasquez.

I believe this was the right move to make in adding Velasquez to the roster. That said, one of the current starters will need to go to the pen, or Ortiz will need to be optioned to bring up another reliever.

I believe another team will claim Underwood.
Surgnbuck

Underwood DFA

Post by Surgnbuck »

After Ortiz start against the Rangers, they discussed Velasquez imminent return, and what move would the Pirates make.

They made a pretty strong case that Ortiz would be kept, as he can be a swingman, something they currently don't have. That was the kind of thing they were hoping for from Crowe or DeJong.

When I saw that Velasquez was starting today, I was hoping beyond hope it would be Underwood. The only other options were Ortiz or Stephenson.

Underwood has had significant chances in many roles other than closer, and even there he had some save opportunities. He has a lot of appearances in his two plus seasons with the Bucs, 114, and significant innings pitched, 154.1. He has shown absolutely no improvement, and his ERA has gotten worse each season, but most of all, his HR/9 went from 0.2 to 1.1, K/9 dropped from 8.9 to 5.2, his BB/9 increased from 3.9 to 4.1 and we all know the walks really killed him, as we often saw the 0-2/1-2 counts become free passes as he couldn't finish guys off. His FIP went from 2.92 to 5.10.

Other Pirates pitchers are on record of being asked "if you could have one pitch, what would it be?" with many answering, "Underwood's change up". Problem is, he nothing to compliment that pitch, and the league caught up to him.

No doubt he'll be pitching somewhere else soon. Would not be surprised if the Pirates can even get something for him in a trade.

WildwoodDave2

Underwood DFA

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B2D2A3F363A2D3B33580 wrote: After Ortiz start against the Rangers, they discussed Velasquez imminent return, and what move would the Pirates make.

They made a pretty strong case that Ortiz would be kept, as he can be a swingman, something they currently don't have. That was the kind of thing they were hoping for from Crowe or DeJong.

When I saw that Velasquez was starting today, I was hoping beyond hope it would be Underwood. The only other options were Ortiz or Stephenson.

Underwood has had significant chances in many roles other than closer, and even there he had some save opportunities. He has a lot of appearances in his two plus seasons with the Bucs, 114, and significant innings pitched, 154.1. He has shown absolutely no improvement, and his ERA has gotten worse each season, but most of all, his HR/9 went from 0.2 to 1.1, K/9 dropped from 8.9 to 5.2, his BB/9 increased from 3.9 to 4.1 and we all know the walks really killed him, as we often saw the 0-2/1-2 counts become free passes as he couldn't finish guys off. His FIP went from 2.92 to 5.10.

Other Pirates pitchers are on record of being asked "if you could have one pitch, what would it be?" with many answering, "Underwood's change up".  Problem is, he nothing to compliment that pitch, and the league caught up to him.

No doubt he'll be pitching somewhere else soon. Would not be surprised if the Pirates can even get something for him in a trade.

There goes the name Underwhelming ;D
Surgnbuck

Underwood DFA

Post by Surgnbuck »

043A3F37243C3C371732253661530 wrote: After Ortiz start against the Rangers, they discussed Velasquez imminent return, and what move would the Pirates make.

Other Pirates pitchers are on record of being asked "if you could have one pitch, what would it be?" with many answering, "Underwood's change up".  Problem is, he nothing to compliment that pitch, and the league caught up to him.

There goes the name Underwhelming ;D
We'll have to pass that along to the next fanbase. I'm sure he'll be floating around again.