Your own Pirate Mount Rushmore

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Saw a you tube thing with Cutch, naming his Pirate Mount Rushmore. He only named three: Clemente, Stargell, Wagner. He said he had to think about the last guy, he'd like it to be someone who was a career Pirate. He laughed when it was suggested it be him, he said, "I'm still playing though".

So, who are your 4 guys? My ONLY stipulation is this- You can only have one guy who was never alive during your time on earth. He didn't have to still be playing. You could have been alive for one day.

Of course, Doc can pick anyone, I mean, he read Honus Wagner's birth announcement on the local papyrus and said, "Honus...that's an unusual name."

So here goes mine:

Clemente

Stargell

Parker

Cutch
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

You must have listened to DK's podcast. I heard the same one. It was a good discussion.

Clemente

Stargell

Parker

Wagner

Cutch isn't quite there for me, but could replace Parker. The point they made on the podcast is that Cucth is bolstered by what he means to the organization, not just in terms of numbers but in terms of helping the team end the 20 year losing streak and make the playoffs three years in a row. Parker largely built on the success of teams that had come before him.

That said, I never saw Clemente, Parker, or Stargell play.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Hard to decide after Clemente and Stargell. So I'll do a Mount Van Rushmore. :D

Andy Van Slyke

John Vander Wal

John Van Benschoten

John VanMeter

Honorable mention: Todd Van Poppel
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Honus, Roberto, Pops, and the Cobra.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

727A794E587D5A553B0 wrote: You must have listened to DK's podcast. I heard the same one. It was a good discussion.

Clemente

Stargell

Parker

Wagner

Cutch isn't quite there for me, but could replace Parker. The point they made on the podcast is that Cucth is bolstered by what he means to the organization, not just in terms of numbers but in terms of helping the team end the 20 year losing streak and make the playoffs three years in a row. Parker largely built on the success of teams that had come before him.

That said, I never saw Clemente, Parker, or Stargell play.
No, the you tube video I saw was linked from a thread on the Pirates Reddit page. I'm guessing that's possibly where someone got the idea to start the thread there.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: Hard to decide after Clemente and Stargell. So I'll do a Mount Van Rushmore.  :D

Andy Van Slyke

John Vander Wal

John Van Benschoten

John VanMeter

Honorable mention: Todd Van Poppel
That's awesome!
Javy

Post by Javy »

My list;

Wagner

Clemente

Stargell

Mazeroski

Tough choice with Maz over the Waners, Bonds, etc., but in the end, I went with career Pirates over guys who played elsewhere (even though Honus came from Louisville in the 1890's with Connie Mack), and Pie Traynor who I think Maz actually had better stats than.

i would never consider Ralph Kiner, but that's a personal rub and not a statistics thing.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

I'd put Wagner but I want the 4 to be guys I saw play. I'd put Pie Traynor just because I loved him doing wrestling when I was a tyke.

Anywho:

#8 (is that a retired #?)

So many for a fourth so I'll go with a two headed monster but one body featuring Danny Murtaugh and Chuck Tanner.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Under the rules set out:

Wagner

Clemente

Stargell

Mazeroski

The all-timer and the three WS wins I've seen.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Barry Bonds

Honus Wagner

Roberto Clemente

Willie Stargell