DH C. Yelich L
SS Willy Adames R
1B Rhys Hoskins R
CF Sal Frelick L
3B Joey Ortiz R
LF Jake Bauers L
RF J. Chourio R
SP Colin Rea R

Shelty doing his best to go with the analytics. My boy Joe should be at 1B and the "fat boy" Tellez should be on his way out of town.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/13 - Bucs @ Brewers

Post by Bobster »

Joe has started 2 games in a row. That's pushing it. So he has to rest. Besides, in those 2 games, he had a double and 2 HRs. That's more running than most Pirates do in a week. He must be exhausted. But it's interesting that he's hit .278 vs RHPs in 72 ABs. He's, hitting .313 vs LHPs in 48 ABs.

Tellez is hitting .200 vs RHP. For his career, he's only hit .229 vs RHP. He's even a bad platoon hitter. And just think, 1 year ago the Pirates were Tellez-free. Cherington deliberately added him to the team. (Maybe he lost a bet.) He infected the team with Tellezitis. If only there were a cure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:02 pm Joe has started 2 games in a row. That's pushing it. So he has to rest. Besides, in those 2 games, he had a double and 2 HRs. That's more running than most Pirates do in a week. He must be exhausted. But it's interesting that he's hit .278 vs RHPs in 72 ABs. He's, hitting .313 vs LHPs in 48 ABs.

Tellez is hitting .200 vs RHP. For his career, he's only hit .229 vs RHP. He's even a bad platoon hitter. And just think, 1 year ago the Pirates were Tellez-free. Cherington deliberately added him to the team. (Maybe he lost a bet.) He infected the team with Tellezitis. If only there were a cure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4
Shelton’s probably starting Tellez because he’s a former Brewer returning to Milwaukee, which is the dumbest reason ever. The Pirates are more interested in having guys feel good than putting the best nine guys in the line-up. I can’t believe Joe is on the bench tonight, but it’s consistent with how they do things.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I am at a loss for words over the fact that Connor Joe is not in the lineup.
What else does he have to do to prove he should be an everyday player. Shelton
is a horses ass!!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

"Derek Shelton says Ke'Bryan Hayes (low back inflammation) is currently not doing any baseball activities"

Neither is the rest of the team! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-9n5BzrIxM
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hang onto your hat, Suwinski hits a two run homer in the first.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Keller retires the hated Brewers in order with two strikeouts included. 2-0 Bucs after one.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

O M G:

Dejan asked Mortimer Snerd...oops, I mean Derek Shelton what is it going to take to get Conner Joe in the lineup on a regular basis considering he's been their hottest hitter even against RHPs? The moron acted like it wasn't even a legit question. He looked at Dejan with a blank stare and said, "oh, he's been in there. I mean, but we're gonna mix everybody in, so, you know, he's gonna continue to get at-bats against all guys, but we're gonna play our whole roster." He added that they "need to get Rowdy going" because he's a guy they signed in the offseason.

So putting his team in the best position to win is not his job. His job is to play the whole roster. You know, just like the Grapefruit League.
Using his best hitter on a team desperate for hitting is not his job. His job is to mix everybody in. Just like the minors.
And they signed Rowdy coming off seasons hitting .219 and .215 but they have to play him because they signed him.

Shelton's answers were absolutely stunning. The blank stare suggested he could scarcely believe anyone thought the question was even worth asking. And the candid answer indicating that the goal is to play everybody and not focus on who's hitting and who isn't reveals that they think this is good management and they don't expect fans to be concerned about it. For anyone who wants evidence that they are not trying to win, this is a smoking gun. I didn't like Shelton before. Now I loathe him. He disgusts me.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Rowdy is 12-77 over his last 30 games. Not the kind of production you want from a first baseman. I guess his number one strength is being a big target at first base.