Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) 3B
Santiago Espinal (R) 2B
Nathan Lukes (L) CF
Cam Eden (R) RF

Yusei Kikuchi (LHP)
Surgnbuck

Re: Official Game Thread - 2/26 - Pirates @ Blue Jays

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bae is doing his best to play himself off the team. Misplays an easy fly ball taking a bad route. Not making contact at the plate. Him and Alika Williams are taking up space that someone else should be occupying.

Delay is the catcher today for the start of the game, and he's looked pretty bad back there.

Pirates pitching so far has looked pretty good, Contreras couldn't find the strike zone though, gave up a couple runs, but a lot of weak contact.

Once again, no offense. Triolo has two knocks and that's it.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Serven with a three-run HR to make it 6-0 Toronto.

Johnson HR's to make it 6-2. - https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/ ... 2647597323

Serven doubles two more in - 8-3.

Johnson with another HR - 8-4. - https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/ ... 5814927688
mouse

Post by mouse »

Well, they aren't starting us off with any false hopes.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Impressive home runs by Johnson today, one of them coming off a lefty.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:02 pm Impressive home runs by Johnson today, one of them coming off a lefty.
Both homers were struck late in the game, so they weren’t off ace pitchers, but his swing is very impressive, and as you said one was off a lefty. He sure appears to be the second baseman of the future. He is sure an untouchable in my book!
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:07 pm
Doc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:02 pm Impressive home runs by Johnson today, one of them coming off a lefty.
Both homers were struck late in the game, so they weren’t off ace pitchers, but his swing is very impressive, and as you said one was off a lefty. He sure appears to be the second baseman of the future. He is sure an untouchable in my book!
Right now, the Pirates have five middle infielders (Cruz, Gonzales, Puegero, Johnson, and Triolo). If all of them pan out, one or two of them will be dealt away. Which ones? In this kind of situation, I always think back to when the Cubs had two youngsters, Mark Grace and Raphael Palmiero, playing first base. They chose to keep Grace, who had a terrific career. Palmiero, though, ended up in a very exclusive club: players who hit 500 HRs and had 3,000 hits. I hope the Pirates have that kind situation, too.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 pm
Right now, the Pirates have five middle infielders (Cruz, Gonzales, Puegero, Johnson, and Triolo). If all of them pan out, one or two of them will be dealt away. Which ones? In this kind of situation, I always think back to when the Cubs had two youngsters, Mark Grace and Raphael Palmiero, playing first base. They chose to keep Grace, who had a terrific career. Palmiero, though, ended up in a very exclusive club: players who hit 500 HRs and had 3,000 hits. I hope the Pirates have that kind situation, too.
Probably by late 2025, or 2026 for sure Johnson and Cruz will be the double play combination. I like Triolo, but I see him as a super utility player. He will play all 4 infield positions for the Pirates. I hate to say it, but I think Gonzales may be another #1 Draft pick bust.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:31 am

Probably by late 2025, or 2026 for sure Johnson and Cruz will be the double play combination. I like Triolo, but I see him as a super utility player. He will play all 4 infield positions for the Pirates. I hate to say it, but I think Gonzales may be another #1 Draft pick bust.
I would give anyone from that draft a pass, TBH. That was a pure crap shoot IMHO, you basically were drafting guys from a previous year's performance, no way to guage any improvement, peaking, exposing weaknesses etc.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:31 am

I'm not near ready to give up on Gonzales yet. The guy can hit. Injuries were a problem for him a couple of years ago. I'd like to see how he can do playing everyday for a couple of months.